UKC

Bend Tor hand lines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 n-stacey 01 Jul 2021

If the person or persons who removed the hand safety lines from Bend Tor would like to kindly return my ropes, mail me via UKC.

Cheers.

nickcanute 03 Jul 2021
In reply to n-stacey:

In situ ropes been stolen from various places in Peak, a deterrent which has been successful is overhand loop knots and then cut through the loops.

Graeme Hammond 03 Jul 2021
In reply to n-stacey:

I've only been to the crag once last year and there were not any hand rails but some ropes stashed in some bushes that i assumed was from the then recent bolting development, perhaps however these are you ropes depending on when you installed them. Whilst the bottom of the crag was difficult to navigate and gear management was required to stop gear going down the slope i can't think of any bits that needed a saftey line. However it is one thing to think they are not needed and another thing to remove without consultation or offering back to the owner unless this action has been taken by the land owner.

I installed an old rope to help access Ten craters of wisdom area in dovedale but have heard that this has been removed. I can't remember if i did what was suggested above and cut the loops in the overhand knots when i installed it. However I can understand your feelings that what i considered extremely helpful could have been stolen and removed. In my situation it was extremely helpful to pull up a terrible loose approach slope but i guess some might have seen it as taking away from the self reliance and the traditional slip and slide approach. I  expect most wouldn't however some do feel strongly about these things so much so to remove it. However the valley being actively managed by the National Trust it is also highly likely they removed my rope.

Post edited at 12:39
 UKB Shark 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Not sure why you attracted a dislike. Similarly, I left a ‘helpful’ insitu rope at a crag recently. Howeve, I respect if someone objected to it as litter or on other grounds. I certainly wouldn’t whine about it here and expect it to be returned. Same goes for leaving draws on routes. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...