UKC

Double Sleeping mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danbow73 11 Jul 2021

Does anyone have any recommendations for double sleeping mats?

Its for car camping so weight isn't super important, so far we've tried the standard airbeds and also the outwell dream catcher but haven't been impressed with the durability

Basemetal 11 Jul 2021
In reply to Danbow73:

Alpkit does (did?) a Double Dozer IIRC. I have a Dozer for solo car camping and it's pretty comfortable.

whenry 11 Jul 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

We've got a Multimat one that is comfortable (and huge). We're pleased with it so far - can't remember what model it is, I'm afraid.

olddirtydoggy 12 Jul 2021
In reply to Danbow73:

The Vango self inflating comfort lasted us 3 trips and we ended up destroying it. If it's for the car then I'd recommend buying a cheap memory foam matress from Ikea and cutting it to the space you will lay it out in the car. We never looked back.

Jon Greengrass 12 Jul 2021
In reply to Danbow73:

I've got  Vango and  Outwell double self inflating mattresses, neither ever held air very well, a combination of toddlers jumping on them and packing them away on spiky ground led to so many leaks they wouldn't hold any air if you lay on them. Eventually I got around to using a bathtub to check for punctures, of which there were many and also leaks on the seam and around the valves. Several patch kits, tube of contact adhesive and some DIY wooden forms to allow me to glue and seal the leaks around the valve and they hold air better than they ever did. 

They take up disproportionately more room than 2 singles so we don't even use the doubles for car camping anymore. Only used as spare mattresses for guests and when the kids want to camp in the garden.

Game change for car camping comforts for us is those 60cmx60cm interlocking jigsaw floor EVA foam mats. We take enough to floor the tent sleeping compartments, they make a dramatic difference in warmth and comfort, no rolling off your self-inflating mat onto a cold groundsheet.

Xharlie 12 Jul 2021
In reply to Danbow73:

My wife and I recently bought two Thermarest Mondoking matresses, with the coupler to make a double, for car camping.

They're enormous and take up a lot of space in the car but we've spent about four nights on them and I've spent two weeks, alone,  on one and I can comfortably say that they're easily way better than my actual bed mattress, at home.

The coupler is also great because it's washable so if you spill your... er... nightcap (15yr old Whisk(e)y, thanks) on them, it isn't an issue.

Jenny C 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

I'm a restless sleeper, so sharing a double airbed is never going to result in the other person getting a good night's sleep, so we use single mats. I keep meaning to try and DIY some form of joining kit, but have never got round to it and tbh in a small tent the gap isn't too much of an issue.

> Game change for car camping comforts for us is those 60cmx60cm interlocking jigsaw floor EVA foam mats. We take enough to floor the tent sleeping compartments, they make a dramatic difference in warmth and comfort, no rolling off your self-inflating mat onto a cold groundsheet.

Totally agree, although we use three cheap foam carrymatts. As someone who often rolls off her inflated matt (I said I was a restless sleeper) waking up on an insulated hard surface is a definate improvement, plus it protects the groundsheet and massively reduces condensation issues.

Post edited at 10:18
 LastBoyScout 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> I've got Vango and Outwell double self inflating mattresses, neither ever held air very well, a combination of toddlers jumping on them and packing them away on spiky ground led to so many leaks they wouldn't hold any air if you lay on them. Eventually I got around to using a bathtub to check for punctures, of which there were many and also leaks on the seam and around the valves. Several patch kits, tube of contact adhesive and some DIY wooden forms to allow me to glue and seal the leaks around the valve and they hold air better than they ever did. 

I met a chap once who'd effectively tea-bagged his Thermarest (stop sniggering at the back!) camping on what turned out to be a thorn bush. Being a carpet fitter by trade, he'd basically covered the bottom with adhesive and French chalk!

LastBoyScout 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Danbow73:

We had 2 of the Vango Comfort 5 self-inflating mats, which is basically the same as the DreamCatcher. Very comfortable and warm to sleep on, but big and heavy to transport and a bugger to deflate and get back into the bags. The newer ones with the Cyclone valves are, at least, a lot better in that respect. Sold one, keeping the other as a spare for now.

Had a minor issue with one of them developing a pin-hole leak where the valve is glued into the fabric, but easily fixed with a dab of glue - once I'd found the problem!

Currently using a couple of the Outwell Reel double mattresses. Very comfy and pack down to <1/2 the size of the C5 above, but you really need a pump of some sort to inflate them - no surprise the exhibition I got them from was giving away a free battery pump with each one sold. No issues with them so far.

Currently experimenting with sheets and a duvet, rather than sleeping bags.

LastBoyScout 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

> I'm a restless sleeper, so sharing a double airbed is never going to result in the other person getting a good night's sleep, so we use single mats. I keep meaning to try and DIY some form of joining kit, but have never got round to it

Thermarest do a couple kit (~£5, if you can still find them, only fit certain sizes) or a universal couple kit (~£10, should fit most options, unless you're using something massive) - or even the Synergy Coupler sheet

Dr.S at work 13 Jul 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I've just invested (and its an investment) in one of these:

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleep-shelter/sleeping-mats/exped-megamat-duo-m-g...

The wifey has a dreadful back and hopefully this will make camping more tolearble - not tried it yet as its for her birthday which is this weekend (it was this or a new hoover).

In reply to Danbow73:

I've had the Exped DeepSleep Mat Duo 7.5 for over a year now and it's terrific for longer trips, and keeps you warm in colder weather too. I've never slept more comfortably while camping. It's not as cheap as some of the other suggestions but it's surprisingly compact when it's packed down (about the same size as a 25-30L rucksack). Got mine through Rock+Run (https://rockrun.com/products/exped-deepsleep-mat-duo-7-5). You can get wider and longer versions of the same mat - the 183cm version fits comfortably in my MSR Elixir 3 with space at the end for bags etc. 

Dr.S at work 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Bruise Apprentice:

excellent - I have great expectations for my extra 2.5cm - nearly an inch after all!

Mark Kemball 13 Jul 2021

We have 2 thermorest singles and their straps to fasten them together - works well.

David Myatt 14 Jul 2021

We have two of the 10cm thick Exped mats. We use a sheet to hold them together and with our duvet it works really well. Superb comfort!

Dr.S at work 17 Jul 2021
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I've just invested (and its an investment) in one of these:

> The wifey has a dreadful back and hopefully this will make camping more tolearble - not tried it yet as its for her birthday which is this weekend (it was this or a new hoover).

This has now been inflated - it is excellent! 

In reply to Danbow73:

I've got a Vango Comfort 10 single that I found discounted in Decathlon. It's about as comfortable as my bed... There is a double version. But it's big & heavy. I managed to get a 1" cut in it somehow, probably travelling by train, but, even though the duck tape patch isnt brilliantly secure, it remains inflated enough with the foam to be perfectly comfortable. I usually have to open the valve and let some air out when I'm lying on it to get it the right firmness for comfort.

Marmolata 17 Jul 2021

i can second the Exped mat. Been using it for several years in tents and inside a car a few times. Expensive (I waited for a discount) but more packable than the cheaper ones and more robust as well it seems.

I have a light down double sleeping bag to go with it, also from Exped. now looking for a warm  one that goes doen to 0 °C

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...