UKC

PHOTOGRAPHY: Three Generations on Wall End Slab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 12 Jul 2021

After finding a striking black and white photo of his father climbing during a house move in 1984, Alan James started a small photography project which has just acquired its third part. The trio of photos not only shows three generations of a family, but also reveals some interesting trends in climbing styles and fashion. 

Read more

Sean Kelly 12 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Very interesting Alan. As I started in the 60's my gear was not all that different to your father except for plimsolls instead of 'nails', and also of course wearing needlecord breeches. My first Gritstone route was Kelly's Slab at Stanage, and no cams for the breaks. Today with pro and sticky rubber it is up from S to VS. It's a funny old world. But we all seemed to get up OK!

Post edited at 19:54
 olddirtydoggy 12 Jul 2021

I was working in a house a few years back and there were photos of 4 generations of the family sat on the toilet, hung on the door. One of them was smoking. Your pics are much more informative.

freeheel47 12 Jul 2021

Stunning. What a grandfather!

McHeath 13 Jul 2021

> After finding a striking black and white photo of his father climbing during a house move in 1984, (...) 

Climbing during a house move... now that's what I call dedication!  

Thanks for this, Alan - must be a pretty unique series of photos! 

deepsoup 13 Jul 2021

Brilliant.  What a cracking family heirloom.

Jamie Wakeham 13 Jul 2021

I wonder if the Birketts have anything similar?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...