UKC

Goliath cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Suncream 15 Jul 2021

Goliath (E4 6a)

Do I need big green or can I get away with just a big purple? The top section looks like it might take silver, but it's always hard to tell from the topo...

althesin 17 Jul 2021
In reply to Suncream:

If you had a WC 5 and 6 (red and green) on your harness, you might find that they could be usefully walked up most of the wide stuff, then silver would be ok at the top. Obviously any advice on gear would constitute beta, and would ruin your onsight, luckily I have not got past the first base on Goliath, so beta really just gossip and your onsight is safe.

wbo2 17 Jul 2021
In reply to Suncream: I'm a bit surprised this is still given E4 with the current fashion for large cracks and particularly large cams

OP Suncream 17 Jul 2021
In reply to althesin:

Ethics are all well and good until it's a question of shelling out for expensive new gear!

deacondeacon 17 Jul 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Have you climbed it?

wbo2 17 Jul 2021
In reply to deacondeacon:

yes. Have you?

As context I couldn't do 'The Asp'

Post edited at 17:35
 deacondeacon 17 Jul 2021
In reply to wbo2:

> yes. Have you?

> As context I couldn't do 'The Asp'

Yep.

It's one of those routes that gets E for the effort (and a lot of effort at that!!!) 🙂 

wbo2 17 Jul 2021
In reply to deacondeacon: I'd agree with that, and that hasn't changed,  However I wonder if the availability of big cams changes that grade, although I guess you have the extra effort of shuffling them up.  Would make it a lot more accessible I think

George Frisby 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Suncream:

Big green definitely useful, it means you can get a cam in a lot lower than if you just had purple. The central bit protected by a high green is hard too... too hard for me to get past it so glad i had the big green in! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...