UKC

John Kelly wainwrights attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Edshakey 16 Jul 2021

10am tomorrow he sets off from Moot Hall. Looks like it'll be a warm one - but strong chance it'll stay dry. Good luck!

Tracking here: https://live.opentracking.co.uk/jkw2021/

In reply to Edshakey:

Having run around the Kentmere Horseshoe after work yesterday I can't quite imagine what it'd be like to be out in that heat all day, every day, for five days - it was hard enough being out for a few hours!!

Kalna_kaza 16 Jul 2021
In reply to Edshakey:

I do love a bit of dot watching. He'll be sweating a litre a peak in this weather mind....

Tom Briggs 16 Jul 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Dangerous I reckon. For not just him but his team. Hopefully it won’t be as hot as forecast.

ablackett 17 Jul 2021
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Does anyone know how opentracking have calculated the ‘chasing trophy’ icon? Is it an average pace of Sabrina (who went the other way round) or a percentage adjusted pace of Paul to match Sabrina record?

timjones 17 Jul 2021
In reply to Tom Briggs:

> Dangerous I reckon. For not just him but his team. Hopefully it won’t be as hot as forecast.

Possibly, but if John Kelly doesn't know how to read his body then the rest of us are likely to perish sitting in the shade in our own gardens.

Tom Briggs 17 Jul 2021
In reply to timjones:

I’ve been indoors all afternoon

Yeah, you’d certainly hope so. Though Damian Hall’s recent experience on the C2C with Hyponatremia shows even the most experienced athletes aren’t immune to making mistakes.

What worries me about these sorts of challenges is there’s no Plan B as such. Unlike mountaineering where you might choose a different objective or aspect, you’re not about to change your route on the Wainwrights. You’re committed to being out in the open for the most part and as you’re going for a record you’re committed to pushing unlike in a race where everyone will pace accordingly if e.g. temps are high.

Anyway, I’m not in the Lakes right now so don’t have a sense of exactly how hot it is there. It feels the hottest I’ve ever known it in the Peak today.

plyometrics 17 Jul 2021
In reply to Tom Briggs:

To confirm, it’s hot in the lakes too. Bit of a breeze running now, which will help I’m sure. Out of the breeze, in amongst the throbbing biomass, I suspect it will be hard going.

Good luck to him. 

ablackett 18 Jul 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

Looks to be going well behind schedule today. Weather is set hot all week, I wonder if he will continue if the record is out of reach?

goose299 19 Jul 2021
In reply to ablackett:

To be honest, I’d say it’s already gone out of reach. He’s nearly 7 hours behind his schedule and It’s only going to slip more with this weather. 
I reckon he’s doing it more for himself now. Superhuman feat in this weather though. 

In reply to goose299:

Just seen the following on social media.

Not sure if anyone is local and free to lend a hand, but I suspect it'd be greatly appreciated if you can - even if just to drop off a few litres of water.

Really can't conceive of how hot it is out there right now...

ablackett 19 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

He’s still an hour faster than Paul T was at this point. So potentially still on for 6d 5h or so, it wouldn’t take a huge turn around to get back to record pace.

Tom Briggs 19 Jul 2021
In reply to ablackett:

It looks like he's clawing back some time quite quickly this morning...

Denning76 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Edshakey:

Strikes me as a rather sad, sub-optimal time to start a Wainright's attempt. It was nightmarish in the Peak yesterday, so hope it all goes ok for him and his supporters.

OP Edshakey 19 Jul 2021

Gutted that it's happening this week - I'm due to be in the Lakes next weekend, from the evening on Thursday just after he finishes! Would have loved to lend a hand otherwise. 

Hopefully him and his crew can stay safe in the heat. 

r0b 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Edshakey:

I did the Welsh 1000m Peaks Race on Saturday and the heat was brutal. And that was just for 6 or 7 hours, can't imagine going in it for 5 or 6 days!

He's changed his schedule to sleep during the day when it is hottest and run through the night, see this morning he caught up a couple of hours by not sleeping at Langdale as planned

goose299 19 Jul 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Maybe then. Do you know how his proposed times compare to Paul T’s splits? Are they much faster? 

The tracker seems to show him going back up Steal Fell. Surely a tracker error? 

r0b 19 Jul 2021
In reply to goose299:

He might be heading down to Dunmail Raise to bail out...

ro8x 19 Jul 2021
In reply to r0b:

Just seen that. Doesn't look good for this attempt which is a shame. 

ro8x 19 Jul 2021
In reply to ro8x:

He's now down at the road and the tracker has updated to a "not moving" state.

goose299 19 Jul 2021
In reply to ro8x:

Looks like he’s aborted then

A valiant effort considering the weather. With the way he’s had other attempts at things (grand round, Pennine way) I’m sure he’ll already be planning another go in his head  

In reply to goose299:

I feel absolutely gutted for him. Whilst this is a pretty far cry from a named storm, the effect is much the same, albeit in a completely different kind of way. It's inconceivably hot...

Ironically it sounds like it was his feet, as opposed to dehydration or heatstroke, that caused him to pull out.

I suspect we'll hear more over the coming days...

Post edited at 15:19
 Nic Barber 19 Jul 2021

Main issue appears to be feet.

Meant to be helping tomorrow morning, just been out around Martindale to refresh a few lines. Once on top there's a nice breeze and it's not too bad lower down if you're sensible. But that was for an 80 minute run. 5+ days is several magnitudes of different beast.

Post edited at 15:39
In reply to Nic Barber:

> Meant to be helping tomorrow morning, just been out around Martindale to refresh a few lines. Once on top there's a nice breeze and it's not too bad lower down if you're sensible. But that was for an 80 minute run. 5+ days is several magnitudes of different beast.

I hadn't made the connection, but it transpires we were both down to support the same leg, and were Cc'd into the same email earlier today

Shame not to have met!

OP Edshakey 19 Jul 2021
In reply to ro8x:

Looks like he might need to turn his tracker off then!

minimike 19 Jul 2021
In reply to Edshakey:

I think he’s trying to draw a flower..

mountainbagger 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Edshakey:

https://www.strava.com/activities/5657384640

Feet...made worse by the heat...but he's alreet

Roadrunner6 21 Jul 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Bad one, good effort but heat is worse than a storm. I can understand why he still set off with all the logistics involved but running sweating that much is brutal, in terms of water loss but also chaffing and having sodden feet constantly. Pretty much impossible. It's hard enough getting good weather for a round never mind getting 5-6 days in a row. 

Through the summer here I weigh myself 2-3 times a day and the weight loss after long runs on humid days is scary..

Michael Hood 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

In my younger days when I still used to run hard in the heat, I reckoned it was about half a pound loss every mile. So 10 mile run is about 2.5 litres just to keep anywhere near correctly hydrated, and then there are the salt/mineral losses to sort out.

Roadrunner6 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Mine actually comes out similar, if I get up, have a light breakfast, and do a 12-13 miler I can be 6-7 pounds down from the night before.

I've taken to running around the local cemeteries because in the summer they have all the taps turned on so I can get water when I need it.

Levy_danny 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

In the name of science I weighed myself before and after a run this morning and was 1kg down over 10km and it wasn't even that hot yet. 

Michael Hood 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Also convenient if you drop dead from overheating 😁 (sic)

Please don't do that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...