UKC

NEWS: IFSC Lead World Cups Chamonix and Briançon 2021 - Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Jul 2021

The two French stops on the Alpine tour of the IFSC Lead World Cups are always a highlight of the competition calendar. This year, being the last two events before the Tokyo 2020 Games, the events provided a marker of the current form of the Olympians and shone a light on the underdogs who consistently nip at the heels of the top players, but rarely get a chance to break on through.

Read more

Calum Elliot 21 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Some really good separation for both men's and women's in the Briançon final. Stefano Ghisolfis attempt was unreal.

Post edited at 22:31
 galpinos 22 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

I very much enjoyed these two rounds and great to see some new faces.

One thing that drives me nuts though. Can Matt Groom actually see the wall/top of the wall or do the climbers go out of view?

There were multiple times in the semis in both comps where he failed to notice or mention that where the climber fell was the current highpoint etc. It seems to take him by surprise or the co-commentator had to point it out. Seems a key part of commentating is to keep people informed as to what's going on and how it affects the standings?

JLS 22 Jul 2021
In reply to galpinos:

>”Seems a key part of commentating is to keep people informed as to what's going on and how it affects the standings?”

I reckon he’s relying on the app to keep track of the score rather than having his own route topo and a pen to mark off who got where and what that scored…

He has improved in just a few comps but I’d expect he’s still learning the job and needs more time to get it dialled.

galpinos 22 Jul 2021
In reply to JLS:

Maybe. It does get me frustrated as I'm watching on catch up skipping through sections and I'm sat there thinking, "that looks like they've just got higher then anyone else but Matt hasn't said that so have I missed something, did I accidentally skip over a entire section when climbers have been rinsing this section to the top?"

It's a bit disappointing but hopefully he'll get into his stride. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...