UKC

Sunrise run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 20 Jul 2021

I just had a beautiful run to the top of our wee local lump (Dumyat), arriving just as the sun started to peek over the hills behind. It was warm enough that I was comfortable standing for 10 mins in my wee shorts and vest watching and photographing it. Then I ran down to meet a friend. We ran a couple of laps of the reservoir at the bottom before getting in for a 10 minute swim to cool down and a short trot back to the car park. The water was 21 degrees!!

What a start to the day! :-D

Hope you are all making the most of the weather!

BusyLizzie 20 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've just run a mix of roads and trail, no mountain and no swim but lots of rabbits and it was great to be out.

Hooo 20 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I wish I'd got my arse out of bed and done that...

I woke up about 5, went back to sleep and finally got out of the house for a run at 8. Absolutely boiled. A 5:30 run would have been lovely, next time I wake up at that time I am getting out there.

Michael Hood 20 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I have for the last 2 weeks been stuck at home with severe lower backpain which had me totally bedbound for 2-3 days.

Although it's slowly getting under control (physio, drugs, standing desk, frequent rests lying down), the current weather is driving me nuts not being able to run, climb, go for a (proper) walk or even a little birdwatching wander.

So enjoy it as much as you can. You never know what's around the corner.

ThunderCat 20 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I stupidly picked yesterday as my "lets get off your arse and get back into cycling to work" for the first time in about a year

The 18 miles in was ace. left at 6am, all nicely flat or moderately downhill, very cool

The 18 miles back was horrible.  Uphill and really hot.  So hot I was on the verge of being sick when I got home.  Spent five minutes with my head under the outdoor tap before I went inside and showered.

Now it feels like I've got a small cactus plant wedged between my thighs, and I'm walking like a smashed crab

Dave B 20 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I did a lovely 5k and 400m swim before 0700. A bit short, but had to one kid to school. 

Bike later hopefully.

Wee shorts?  Stress incontinence? ;-P

Yanis Nayu 20 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Hope you feel better soon. 

yorkshireman 20 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Hope you are all making the most of the weather!

Got to love the summer for running - who else has the runner's tan though with white feet and tanned legs?

I picked last week to take holiday (I'm in France, so the week around Bastille day is always a good bet, and generally fantastic weather) and aimed to bookend it with two huge training runs before tapering for an upcoming ultra.

It rained solidly all week (while friends and family in the UK were telling me how great it was there) - we were part of that weather system that caused all the floods in Belgium and Germany although we're lucky it obviously drained away from our mountains - still lousy though. So long runs, but in saturated, boggy conditions with hardly any views.

I'm back at work this week and it's gorgeous! Still, run club tonight, then we're all going for pizza so it's looking up

Lrunner 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Inspired by this thread, but too lazy to get up and run I ran a sun set run along the Moel Ellio ridge last night. Even at 2100 it was roasting. Swam in Llyn Pardarn straight after and it was like a bath!

Its not always great living in the UK weather wise but when its good and you live here, its good.

OP girlymonkey 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Lrunner:

Sounds lovely, glad you got out 😊

Nic Barber 21 Jul 2021
In reply to yorkshireman:

>>who else has the runner's tan though with white feet and tanned legs?

Don't forget the pale watch mark!

Wearing a vest and short shorts more this week to try and decrease the amount of milk-bottle on show. Did an hour around midday yesterday as a bit of heat adaptation - thankfully a bit of shade and a breeze here on the NYMs. Got out at 7 this morning to avoid too much heat - sleeping last night was rough, decamped to the spare bedroom eventually which is mercifully cooler. I think the dog might melt.

OP girlymonkey 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

My watch mark is insane! My watch doesn't shift at all so the line is super clear. I also get funny vest marks as I wear ones with the racer backs, so funny shapes there too.

Yes, doggo is struggling here too. I took him for a gentle wander this morning while it was cloudy, which was fine, but I got the frisbee out for a few minutes and at the end of that he was panting really heavily and crashed out on the cool floor when he got home! This is a canicrosssing dog who, in winter, will haul my husband or I for 8km easily, so no lack of fitness, just can't deal with heat and humidity!

I have become a big fan of tea time swims this week to cool me down going into the evenings, that seems to be working.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...