UKC

ARTICLE: "Don't stop until you have to" – The first female Lakeland Classics roun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 22 Jul 2021

The fifteen Lake District climbs from Ken Wilson's book 'Classic Rock' in one unbroken independent journey on foot. Done by Mandy Glanvill and Julie Carter, June 2021, in celebration of Mandy's 50th year of climbing and the centenary of the Pinnacle Club for women climbers. For more on the Pinnacle Club Centenary see www.pc100.org.

Read more

Southvillain 22 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Well done! Lovely article. A challenge is particular to who we are and what we can do. As you say, why measure yourself against someone younger, fitter and stronger. No doubt you're both as satisfied with your achievement as that young soloist would be with their's. 

TheGeneralist 22 Jul 2021

Brilliant. Serious respect for completing that in those conditions.

Will Hunt 22 Jul 2021

Proper!

Mark Eddy 22 Jul 2021

This has been a delight to read. Sterling effort for setting off up Murray's in those conditions too.

Brilliant, such a good effort!!! I'd love to do that...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jul 2021

Brilliant effort given the conditions - true stoics

Chris

cragrat 23 Jul 2021

Well done! Nice to read an article about ordinary people doing 'normal' routes.

davidroche 23 Jul 2021

Excellent because it is realistic. I cannot identify with  fell runners who solo everything. Many congratulations.

Fellover 23 Jul 2021

Awesome.

Cornish boy 23 Jul 2021
In reply to cragrat:

> Well done! Nice to read an article about ordinary people doing 'normal' routes.

Totally agree with you. It’s refreshing to read this, and inspirational too. Well done both of you! 

cathsullivan 23 Jul 2021
In reply to davidroche:

> Excellent because it is realistic. I cannot identify with  fell runners who solo everything. Many congratulations.

I know just what you mean here - sometimes hearing about the feats of people who don't seem quite so vastly unlike ourselves is much more inspirational. 

Julie is, as usual, being a little bit modest here.  Although Mandy isn't a runner, Julie is a very accomplished fell runner and a former English and British champion. They are both super impressive in many ways and thoroughly good eggs. I'm so thrilled that they did this.

People who liked this article will be interested to read Julie's blog, and her book Running the Red Line is a fantastic read too (https://www.mindfell.co.uk/about).

SteveSBlake 24 Jul 2021

This is a fantastic tale. I know I wouldn't be able to do what the E5 Fell Runners do to the round. I don't think I could do what these two strong climbers did either!

Much kudos!

Steve

Abu777 26 Jul 2021

Inspiring effort - commitment and determination! Congratulations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...