UKC

Europe travel restricions in the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 08 Aug 2021

I'm pondering a September trip to the Alps, I fancy driving to Chamonix, then driving over into Italy to Aosta, then maybe to Switzerland at Saas Fee.

Has anyone any recent experience and/or guidance on hopping between the three countries? I can't find guidance about restrictions, for say, France to Italy, or vice versa. Or Switzerland.

What would be the situation if I traversed, for example, the Matterhorn from Italian side to Zermatt?

Any pointers or experience would be welcome.

Suncream 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

A few months ago several of the countries wanted tests to cross and were checking at the borders more than usual but in general it was easy to cross. I'm interested to here if anyone has more recent experience.

If you traverse the Matterhorn from Italy to Switzerland I doubt there will be many guards to check you at the border!

Martin Haworth 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

If you go to Italy I think you need to isolate for 5 days on arrival.

freeflyer 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

I think you're going to have to check out the rules much nearer the time, and I would say that you're multiplying your risks of something going wrong with each country you visit.

I've opted for flying into and out of Zurich next week where I normally would drive through France, as that way I limit the amount of officialdom, which is bad enough just for Switzerland. I need to show my NHS proof of vaccination, fill out a passenger locator form and the entry permission one, make a report to the cantonal authority in each canton I visit (2), get some kind of acceptable test before flying back and book the day 2 test in the UK. Plus hope that nothing changes in the traffic lights.

Nightmare.

BruceM 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Suncream:

Not that recent but I have been stopped by Italian border police at Hellbronner top station after traversing the Vallee Blanche from Aiguille du Midi.  Laptops and phonecalls to check our passports.

streapadair 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Martin Haworth:

Yes, you do, if you've come from the UK. Until the end of August at least. 

AtLargesse 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Fredt:

All the climbers I’ve met who have come to France from Italy or Switzerland the last month or two have said there was a vaccine card check at the border, even at 3am at the smallest roadside borders (which surprised me). Easily passed with proper documentation but notable anyway. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...