UKC

Where to climb in late Oct/early Nov?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OG 12 Aug 2021

I will be outside of the U.K. for work in the autumn, without much local climbing, but have two weeks off to climb in late Oct/early Nov. Where has good weather/conditions?

Not sure if partners yet so any ideas where there might be group trips to tag along to (Climb Catalunya type stuff) would be appreciated too!

I’ll be based somewhere with reasonable access to Southern Europe, also Africa and ME. Climbing up to 6b and HVS at the moment.

thanks!

Post edited at 17:31
 AlanLittle 12 Aug 2021
In reply to OG:

Greece? That's peak season for Kalymnos/Leonidio, and Kalymnos has (or at least had pre-pandemic) a fairly active partner finder group on whatsapp. Direct charter flights to Kos tend to finish at the end of October though, after that you have to travel via Athens.

Nathan Adam 12 Aug 2021
In reply to OG:

If you can get in with the current situation, Jordan is a superb location with plenty to choose from. You might want a partner before you commit to it though. 

Great food, excellent hospitality and good climbing. The only thing missing is beer!

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 12 Aug 2021
In reply to OG:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/greece_-_in_search_of_soli...

Brilliant trip, as was another we did through the Peloponnese,

Chris

Post edited at 19:42
OP OG 13 Aug 2021
In reply to OG:

Inspiring suggestions! Thanks all. The 5+ line at Meteora looks incredible, and at such an accessible grade. Seems I might be going to Greece.

OP OG 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Nathan Adam:

Thanks! Jordan would be a dream… I had assumed it would all be very hard and serious. Is there a guidebook you’d recommend for getting an overview of the main climbing areas?

OP OG 13 Aug 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

Do you happen to know if there’s anywhere to easily meet climbing partners around Leonidio? I am a bit put off by the boat faff of Kalymnos, though maybe I shouldn’t be…

dominic o 13 Aug 2021
In reply to OG:

> Do you happen to know if there’s anywhere to easily meet climbing partners around Leonidio? I am a bit put off by the boat faff of Kalymnos, though maybe I shouldn’t be…

The climber's bar is Panjika and you'd be pretty sure to meet people to climb with there - they also produce the local topo. Oct/Nov is the perfect time for a visit.

Psyche material and beta on about 30 of the crags here:

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/category/greece/leonidio/

It's one of our absolute favourite climbing spots in the world, and we've been to a lot! Can't wait to get back there ourselves

Cheers, Dom 

Nathan Adam 06 Sep 2021
In reply to OG:

The Tony Howard book is the best starting point, it's pretty old school but still relevant and usable. There is plenty great mountaineering style routes that involve lots of route finding as well as pure climbing routes with bolted abseil descents. Just walking through the canyons and being out in the desert wandering around is as much of what it's all about as anything else. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...