UKC

Clarkson’s Farm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Aug 2021

Anyone else enjoyed this? I thought it was brilliant; funny, informative and entertaining. Would thoroughly recommend. 

broken spectre 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'd have watched this but it's on Prime which I'm boycotting on ethical grounds.

AukWalk 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I really enjoyed the first episode, which I think was the most informative of the bunch, and then mostly enjoyed the rest of the season which tended to be less informative and more focussed on pratting about. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching a bit of pratting about, but I would have preferred a bit more other stuff to balance it out.

Some of his ignorant / misleading off the cuff anti-regulation/EU/local council complaints (seemed to be a couple in each show) did annoy me though. I know that kind of thing is part of the Jeremy Clarkson character, but it's more annoying when they come as part of a program which seems more 'real life' focussed than top gear for instance and is presented almost as a lighthearted documentary, which might be taking quite an educational role for some people about farming and the countryside, and isn't really balanced out by the other characters (Hammond and May had much stronger characters in Top Gear than anyone else does in Clarkson's Farm, for instance). 

I'll still probably watch season 2 though! 

wintertree 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I really enjoyed it.  

Andy Wilman is a fantastic producer, something of a Michael Bay level talent but applied to the documentaries (or whatever Top Gear is), not to explosions and so on.  I've long thought the filler scenes of wildlife and scenery in his Top Gear and Grand Tour specials would be stand out scenes if found in travel and wildlife documentaries, and it turns out it's the same for farming.

The supporting characters often stole the show.

Wish I could afford a thousands acres and a bunch of expensive toys to work it with.  I think I'd develop the same level of genuine attachment, graft and appreciation that Clarkson did - it's the most human and least scripted I've seen him since their jaunt to the magnetic North Pole.  

John2 13 Aug 2021
In reply to AukWalk:

You think Hammond and May have stronger characters than Kaleb? One of the major joys of the series was watching Clarkson regularly having strips torn off him by the 'foetus'.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I really enjoyed it too. Really well done in my opinion.

P.s. if you’re based where I think you’re based it’s worth a visit on your bike. If you keep going from the Chipping Norton side and head towards Chadlington and Leafield it’s some of the best cycling in the Cotswolds.

summo 13 Aug 2021
In reply to wintertree:

The folk i know who farm and have seen it are positive about and they aren't Clarkson petrol head fans. He helps destroy a few myths about farming and whilst some might not like his anti eu/council/pretty much anyone complaining comments he's likely right.

Most farms don't have his cash, but they face all the same battles with a near permanent 5 or 6 figure overdraft, work 15hrs a day, being winged at by the public about food being expensive, manure, gates, fences, footpaths etc.. while the same public think all farmers are rich living the easy life like some 18th century lord of the Manor.

OP Yanis Nayu 13 Aug 2021
In reply to VSisjustascramble:

Had thought that. I’ve been to that farm shop he visited - Daylesford. Christ it’s expensive! £8 for a bacon bap!

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yep, enjoyed it. Okay he's got money and TV contact but it's informative and entertaining. Reckon it's done more to educate Joe public about food production than decades of Country File.

Fozzy 13 Aug 2021
In reply to wintertree:> I

> The supporting characters often stole the show.

It helps that they are so relatable; those of us who live rurally all know at least one Kaleb, Ellen, Charlie & Gerald, they are part of the fabric of country life. 
I went into it as somebody who enjoyed Top Gear/Grand Tour, even if I did think Clarkson was a bit of a bellend, but thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the farmers I’ve spoken to about it were very happy he showed it as it is, not the same glossed-over Towniefile guff that is normally shown on TV whenever the countryside is mentioned.  

Arms Cliff 13 Aug 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> Andy Wilman is a fantastic producer, something of a Michael Bay level talent but applied to the documentaries

Think this is the first time I’ve seen someone compared to Michael Bay as a compliment 😂

BigBrother 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I can enjoy the normal Clarkson scripted 'pratting about' occasionally but I found there was too much of it in his farming show when it was advertised as being more informative. He could have shown far more about farming and still kept it lighthearted enough to be entertaining.

Anyone who wants a more serious but still very watchable view of farming should check out 'Harry's Farm' on Youtube. One of Clarkson's neighbours and also a motoring journalist but a farmer first.

summo 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

> Yep, enjoyed it. Okay he's got money and TV contact but it's informative and entertaining. Reckon it's done more to educate Joe public about food production than decades of Country File.

30 years ago country file was about the only tv a farmer would stop work for and have brew for 30mins, get the weekly weather forecast overview, then back to the grind. It was about farming and rural life for farmers, or those living amongst it. 

Then they tried to avoid niche audiences and make it "inclusive", now it's a programme for city folk who visit the countryside once a year.

Timmd 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I watched it a friend of a friend's, I thought it was alright, in that it does seem like he's genuine in his environmentalism, behind his Clarkson-esque waffling and tomfoolery. Other than the Amazon Prime element, it's probably a positive in the scheme of things.

I think it's a shame it took Clarkson seeing for his own eyes some changes to rain and water level patterns in Asia to be convinced about climate change and environmentalism, that it took that amount of time, but at least he has been. I think a lot of people could do with taking his 'chicken is basically a vegetable with a head' approach, that it'd be a helpful thing.

I guess wild Muntjac is 'basically a vegetable with four legs', in the greenness scheme of things..

Post edited at 20:06
 Fozzy 13 Aug 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> I guess wild Muntjac is 'basically a vegetable with four legs', in the greenness scheme of things..

The more muntjac shot & eaten the better; fortunately they are bloody delicious, despite being pestilent little beasts.  

AukWalk 13 Aug 2021
In reply to John2:

I did enjoy Kaleb despairing at Jeremy's idiocy and telling him off throughout, but to me it was still Jeremy Clarkson's show in a way that top gear wasn't (even if he was still the dominant character there) and felt like it was trying to be a bit more than 'just' entertainment, and as a result some of his comments just hit differently for me. Maybe just a matter of how I perceived it. 

Ridge 13 Aug 2021
In reply to summo:

> The folk i know who farm and have seen it are positive about and they aren't Clarkson petrol head fans.

Ditto. The farmers I know, ( most of whom think Clarkson's a knob), have been very positive about the show.

Still not watched it though...

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Coincidentally,  I was out for dinner with the outlaws on Thursday. They aren't the type who would normally enjoy Top Gear or Clarkson but they said it was ace and really entertaining, especially Kaleb.

I was a big fan of top gear, especially the banter with Clarkson, May and Hammond so I'm surprised, and pleased, that he seems to be more environmentally aware. It has certainly given me a binge-fest option for when the night properly get dark and the weather gets shite.

neilh 14 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Another positive feedback from me. Of course Wilma and Clarkson deliberately create jeopardy in the show, that is the whole point of tv series like this. 

Gerald cracks me up, what a fantastic dialect.  

OP Yanis Nayu 14 Aug 2021

I’ve just ridden past the farm shop - must’ve been  200 people just in the car park!

Timmd 14 Aug 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

It's possible to buy whole carcases for £65 online now, which is positive, though they need to be butchered at home.

A friend likes Clarkson's show for the environmental aspect.

Post edited at 14:36
 David Alcock 14 Aug 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Humans are basically a vegetable with four limbs. Reminds me, what to have for supper? 

Fozzy 14 Aug 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> It's possible to buy whole carcases for £65 online now, which is positive, though they need to be butchered at home.

That seems a little steep, considering the game dealer will have paid the stalker around £10 for it. Have a look at Hanks’ butchers in Ross on Wye, he does butchered muntjac & CWD delivered for £50. 
I’m fortunate that my deer cost me the cost of a bullet (75p) and a couple of quid in diesel to get to the woods & back. Check out ‘Giving up the Game’ on FB for either free or very cheap venison. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Nice. Did you head their via Shipston-on-Stour by any chance? Shipston to Chippy is probably one of my favourite stretches of road to cycle on.

Tom Valentine 14 Aug 2021
In reply to broken spectre:

I boycotted Clarkson himself years ago for similar reasons.

peppermill 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Grew up on a dairy farm and fully expected to hate this with a passion and have found Clarkson unbearable since about 2006 (He was still a t*sser before that but at least a funny one)

However apart from the artificial lake idiocy I enjoyed this so much, brilliantly filmed, know-it-all from the city realises what farming actually involves type stuff.

Kaleb is basically my brother when he was that age and........oh dear God...... Gerald giving instructions over the radio..........buckled...

OP Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2021

Via Shipston but then through Whichford and south from there - I don’t like that road from Shipston to Long Compton. Nearly got killed by a nob driving a tractor and trailer on it a few years ago. The most scared I’ve ever been on a bike. 

ChrisBrooke 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

Someone once tried to sell me eight legs of venison for £200. I said that’s two deer. 

Toerag 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

> I’m fortunate that my deer cost me the cost of a bullet (75p)

Is that a normal bullet cost? What range of prices are there? I'm just curious as I've never wondered how much ammo costs.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Won't watch anything with that awful awful awful man in it, ever again. He should be sidelined and forgotten ASAP

jkarran 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I was expecting it to be an endless string of tedious 'Clarkson wrecks stuff' set pieces but actually found it rather interesting and charming despite them.

jk

fmck 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Fozzy:

My mate does the same. He hangs them up on his clothes line pole. Guts them and strips the skin off them. Obviously he gets in to a bloody mess. Once he looked up to find the next door neighbour looking down at him in total horror. He just waved to her with his messy hand and carried on.

In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

I'd be interested to hear why you think that?

I personally find him very entertaining.

Fozzy 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Toerag:

No, that’s on the cheap side but I use reloads. 

Fozzy 16 Aug 2021
In reply to fmck:

> My mate does the same. He hangs them up on his clothes line pole. Guts them and strips the skin off them. Obviously he gets in to a bloody mess. Once he looked up to find the next door neighbour looking down at him in total horror. He just waved to her with his messy hand and carried on.

They should be gralloched (gutted) in the field, as quickly as possible. However, I skin them in the garden too and the neighbours don’t care; they tend just put in requests for which cuts of it they’d like once butchered! 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Anyone else enjoyed this? I thought it was brilliant; funny, informative and entertaining. Would thoroughly recommend. 

On everyone's advice, I started watching this tonight. Very entertaining. 

I have one issue though. Did that Lambo tractor really cost just 40 big ones? That sounds cheap.

Post edited at 21:36
 toad 16 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Lamborghini make all sorts of non performance stuff. The boat moored next to me has one of their 2 cylinder diesel engines

Timmd 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> I'd be interested to hear why you think that?

> I personally find him very entertaining.

There was the 'There's a slope on the bridge' incident, in the context of an Asian walking along a sloping bridge, 'slope' was a racist term used by the Americans (iirc) for Asians, when they were having to build a bridge in Thailand.

Which was the same trip where he brought out 'Jam Bear', a teddy bear he spread jam on to keep the insects at bay, he was referencing the practice in India under the British, of spreading jam onto some poor Indian boy - 'jam boy', to keep the bugs targeting him so that they could play golf or croquet, or whatever it was.

In another episode, he referred to a Ferrari as having a smiling front end which made it look a 'bit of a simpleton, a bit special needs'. On transgender matters, to do with a child who'd been aware of/living as their desired gender since they were young, he talked about the parents having been poisoning the mind of the child. He's often joked about people or cars being gay, as if that was a bad thing, too. '

Possibly, deep down he'd accept people in whatever variety he found them, and in most cases he likes 'being naughty'*, but I think that's pretty representative of why some people don't like him. 

* It's arguably unhelpful for any of the demographics who are referenced in his 'naughtiness'.

Post edited at 01:13
 TMM 17 Aug 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> On everyone's advice, I started watching this tonight. Very entertaining. 

> I have one issue though. Did that Lambo tractor really cost just 40 big ones? That sounds cheap.

It was 2nd hand, sourced in Germany. Here's another one.

https://www.farmmachinerylocator.co.uk/listings/farm-machinery/for-sale/lis...

In reply to TMM:

Well, there you go. Thats a lot of metal for the money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jeremy-clarkson-co...

There was building an entire career on being 'Not quite racist'

I could go on, and on, and on, and on.
Truly odious excuse for a man

Post edited at 06:57
 Michael Hood 17 Aug 2021
In reply to TMM:

In terms of "how many people notice my vehicle" per pound, it would be much better value than a Lamborghini supercar - driving one of them down the local high street or even better through a city centre.

Post edited at 08:26
 bridgstarr 17 Aug 2021

I'm amazed you're getting so many dislikes. I wonder whether any of the dislikers would change their opinion if it was their dad punched by him. Would they laugh so heartily if a German drove round London with a BL1TZ number plate. Because he's entertaining he seems to get a free pass.

In reply to bridgstarr:

I know right? I thought I had my finger on the pulse of the UKC massive, it appears not.

I stand by it, hes awful and should not be looked up to, or looked at at all.

If any of the dislikers would like to step up and defend him I'd be interested to hear it

Dave Garnett 17 Aug 2021

> There was building an entire career on being 'Not quite racist'

I assumed that he had constructed a Top Gear caricature and played up to it on screen and in his journalistic style (I saw the programme he did about his (IIRC) father-in-law, who he had discovered was a war hero, and he seemed a bit more like a human being).

However, I asked a climbing friend who has worked with him what he was like and the response was 'an arse'.

Moacs 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> Is that a normal bullet cost? What range of prices are there? I'm just curious as I've never wondered how much ammo costs.

I think it depends how it's delivered

In reply to Timmd:

Fair enough, 

I guess, from my point of view, I see it more as entertainment rather than pointed, deliberate comments.

The man is an oaf and has made a successful career out of being an oaf. I guess if you watch him wanting to find him offensive it will be. I've actually met him and found him an intelligent and interesting guy. He appeals to a certain demographic.

Forest Dump 17 Aug 2021

He's diversifying into gammon in season 2

> He appeals to a certain demographic.

That he does, the brexiting, anti-lockdown, racist, climate change downplaying one mostly

I don't agree with Brexit, I agreed with lockdown, I'm not racist and I believe in Climate change AND I'm also able to watch something entertaining and find it entertaining without getting offended.

That is of course your prerogative. I just don't think we should be encouraging and therefore normalising his kind of behaviour. If he was a fictional character it would be different, but people listen and repeat the things he says, even if hes playing it up, it has consequences.

I'll leave you all to it now

Tyler 17 Aug 2021

> I guess, from my point of view, I see it more as entertainment rather than pointed, deliberate comments.

I think Bernard Manning would agree with that. 

I agree that Clarkson-the-person probably has more nuanced and balanced views than Clarkson-the-TV-character but it is Clarkson the TV character’s views that are seen and read. I see the low level undermining of minorities, cyclists, climate crisis etc as harmful because his seemingly moderate, jovial attacks are normalised and amplified every day by millions without his wit or knowing nods to camera.  

Post edited at 10:02
 peppermill 17 Aug 2021

Oh aye, he's a Grade A cnt that gives Yorkshire a bad name.

Clarkson's Farm was still really good though.

The New NickB 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I’ve seen a few clips, but I don’t have Prime and won’t be getting it to watch this.

I quite liked Top Gear, but got increasingly bored with him (all three really, but him particularly). I even watched the first series of The Grand Tour, as I had Prime at the time, but it seemed to be everything that I had come to dislike about Top Gear.

This may be different, but we happened to buy a copy of the Sunday Times at the weekend. I read his column, it was exceeding poor, so I’m not exactly filled with confidence.

bridgstarr 17 Aug 2021

> I guess if you watch him wanting to find him offensive it will be.

There's countless examples of him being offensive. Whether I wanted this or not isn't relevant.

I would say its more a case if you watch him wanting to be entertained, you'll find a way to ignore the offensive stuff. (I used to if I'm honest....I would tune into Top Gear every week religiously)

Robert Durran 17 Aug 2021

> If any of the dislikers would like to step up and defend him I'd be interested to hear it.

Is it not just possible to put him down as a guilty pleasure instead?

Post edited at 13:06
 Timmd 17 Aug 2021

> Fair enough, 

> I guess, from my point of view, I see it more as entertainment rather than pointed, deliberate comments.

> The man is an oaf and has made a successful career out of being an oaf. I guess if you watch him wanting to find him offensive it will be. I've actually met him and found him an intelligent and interesting guy. He appeals to a certain demographic.

I don't entirely dislike him, I think he seems genuine about the things he finds unfair, like richer westerners haggling over a few dollars when on holiday in poorer countries, and he's definitely entertaining,  but googling about him, he commented to Simon Cowell in unaired comments in the TG studio, along the lines of being in favour of gay rights, in wanting the right not to be bummed, which presumably drew laughter from segments of the studio audience. When it's things like that, I think he's 'being a twa*t', in that even if he isn't homophobic, it plausibly it wouldn't have been so pleasant for any gay members of the audience, and it casually give a thumbs up to homophobia.  I don't mind that he probably votes Tory (differing brain structures seem to be behind differing politics, so it's fair enough), or that he's 'a different style of person' to myself, it's that there are lines where it's not right to joke about certain aspects of people or at the expense of minorities. 

Post edited at 13:21
 mullermn 17 Aug 2021

"Top Gear has been one of the BBC's most commercially successful programmes since its relaunch. It has become a significant show in British popular culture,[11][12] with episodes also broadcast internationally in many countries in Europe, North America, Southeast Asia and more, making it the most widely broadcast factual television programme in the world.[13]"

"The popularity of the programme eventually led to Top Gear being broadcast internationally in 214 different territories by the end of 2014; however the show's publicist has stated that the oft-repeated claim of 350 million viewers per week is "unreliable""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(2002_TV_series)#Broadcast

350 million viewers a week. 350 million pounds a week for the NHS. COINCIDENCE? Clearly a magic number for Brexiteers.

In reply to broken spectre:

I'd have watched it but it's got Clarkson in, whom I'm boycotting on the grounds he's a cvnt

Ben Callard 17 Aug 2021
In reply to mullermn:

I don't like him much, but I'm pretty sure JC voted to remain in the EU.

graeme jackson 17 Aug 2021

> That he does, the brexiting,..etc....one mostly

He was vehemently against Brexit. The rest of his persona I suspect is mostly acting up to get a rise out of people the Clarkson charicature might call snowflakes. 

balmybaldwin 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> In terms of "how many people notice my vehicle" per pound, it would be much better value than a Lamborghini supercar - driving one of them down the local high street or even better through a city centre.

Possibly better MPG too

Robert Durran 22 Aug 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Anyone else enjoyed this? I thought it was brilliant; funny, informative and entertaining. Would thoroughly recommend. 

I have been binge watching it over the weekend

Whatever his past sins, I feel Clarkson has now been fully rehabilitated with this brilliant programme. Perhaps even elevated to National Treasure status.

jimtitt 22 Aug 2021
In reply to toad:

> Lamborghini make all sorts of non performance stuff. The boat moored next to me has one of their 2 cylinder diesel engines

Lamborghini was split up and sold in 1972, the agricultural side to Same Deutz-Farr and the car business to some Swiss investors, nowadays it's Audi.

Post edited at 22:06
 toad 23 Aug 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

Aah..

streapadair 24 Aug 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

Yes, I was surprised to find Lambo made tractors when I came across this machine in the Val d'Ayas, then I looked at the homologation tag.

elsewhere 24 Aug 2021

For those of us who can't afford a Lamborghini, there's always Porsche.

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/regions-registers/registers/classic/porsche-t...

Post edited at 12:36
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It's the best thing I have watched on TV this year. The whole cast were excellent. Just above King Gary and Ted Lasso for me as my favourite shows in 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...