UKC

La Sportiva TX, TX2 or TX3?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterfall 13 Aug 2021

I am after a pair of shoes that I can use daily for local walking on trails, but also a pair that I can use when out scrambling in Wales or Lakes.

I am looking at La Sportiva TX, TX2 or TX3, but struggling to see which would be the most appropriate?  I want something lightweight but that matches what I need for both everyday use but when out on mountain days.

thanks for the help as always!

Martin Haworth 13 Aug 2021
In reply to waterfall: I have a pair of TX4’s and TX2’s. The TX4’s are comfy and hard wesring and would fit the bill. The TX2’s are lightweight and I use them if I need to do an approach walk and carry them up the toute, but I don’t think they are very hard wearing. I didn’t know TX or TX3 existed !

JimbotheScot 13 Aug 2021
In reply to waterfall:I've got the tx5 low shoe version and they are awesome tbf, like a very lightweight boot without the ankle support, Excellent traction even on snow , highly reccomended

OP waterfall 14 Aug 2021
In reply to Martin Haworth:

thanks, edging more towards the TX4's although I have read online that they are a little roomy

I may try them on before I buy in a shop to see how they fit

GCO 15 Aug 2021
In reply to waterfall:

I like my TX2s for easy rock climbs and scrambles. But slippery descents are a little iffy. Therefore, I bought some TX Guides and have been using these for all sorts of things. They have a decent heel for descending and seem to climb pretty well too. They are more bulky though than the TX2s (well, everything is bulkier than TX2s, which is why I still love them).

sizing comes up small. I went for a European size larger than normal and this seemed to work.

Twiggy Diablo 15 Aug 2021
In reply to GCO:

I have the Tx2 and Tx4.

prefer the TX2 for approaches or carrying on a multipitch. TX4 are stiffer and probably better for long walks.

I went down from my standard 9.5 to a 9 for them not to feel really baggy so would recommend trying them on in a shop if you can (or failing that buy two sizes online with a view to sending one back). 

OP waterfall 17 Aug 2021

gone for the TX4's, looking forward to getting them! 

thanks for all the input

Hard Hawk 25 Aug 2021
In reply to waterfall:

As an owner of TX2s:

Pros:

- Climb super well (wear them for pretty much everything below E1 but they've also performed well on E1 leads)

- Super lightweight

- Lowbulk/packable

- Super sticky

Cons:

- Hurts your feet on long descents

- Pretty crap on scree

- The cord eylettes chew through laces (with regular use a pair of laces lasts me about a month although sometimes only a week if I'm wearing them all day on big hill days)

- Seem to get wet if they even see water

If you want a really good approach shoe that climbs well on mountain routes and on easy trad then they're perfect but after taking them to the Cuillin I was left wishing I had slightly beefier shoes with me.

Post edited at 13:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...