UKC

Cloggy safe drinking water?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 16 Aug 2021

I we were planning on heading up to Cloggy soonish and may bivy given a decent dry spell. I'm sure plenty of people have drunk from Llyn Du'r Arddu and lived to tell the tale.

I was however wondering if it, or the small stream that feeds it might be contaminated by the nearby mine workings (to the left of Cloggy as you face the cliff)?

I mainly ask as I'm running on one Kidney, we have a Steripen and filter however metal/chenical contamination is another matter.

Ian Carr 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Tigger:

There is a proper spring above the contouring climbers path to the crag. It’s near some old mine buildings if I remember rightly.

I’ve never had a problem with it, but that was a number of years ago.

OP Tigger 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Ian Carr:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I may bring a pack of test sticks to see if there is any contamination, maybe overkill but we're hoping to get up there a little more often.

CantClimbTom 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Tigger:

It's clogwyn coch copper mine (https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/33768). Copper itself in traces might even be good for you. Although the ore can occur with sulphur, lead, zinc, maybe even trace silver and sometimes nasties like cadmium, this was a small copper mine not a large mixed metal mine.

There's very little mine there in the upper site, only a few small open workings at Clogwyn Coch . The levels should be low enough that drinking water in the area for a day or two should be no issue

Post edited at 08:39
OP Tigger 17 Aug 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Thanks for the info Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...