UKC

All-round (non-climbing) shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 26 Aug 2021

I've always gone for La Sportiva Boulder X shoes for most things I do, but then have a good pair of walking boots, trail shoes etc for when I need other things. 

We're hoping to go away next year for a long trip and I'm thinking about looking at alternatives as these are pretty crap when it's wet/muddy. Obviously when in a van I'd want to take as little as possible so have been thinking about getting more of an all-around shoe. 

I've seen more and more people using GTX Innov-8 shoes for this kind of thing but I've not tried them before. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for options which will be fine for walk-ins, days out walking in the hills, cycling (very easy - non SPD pedals), trips into towns/cities?

I guess basically something comfortable, with a bit of support, good tread and waterproof.

Bob Kemp 26 Aug 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

I had a similar requirement the other month - here's the thread in case that helps:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/general_light_walking_shoe_recommend...

Gabe Oliver 26 Aug 2021

I really rate the Adidas Terrex range for the variety of styles and quite a lot blur those boundaries of approach/trail running/casual trainers which makes for a really good all-rounder. I've had a pair of Agravic GTX which I've used for basically everything you've listed above and found them super comfy. Some of the Adidas/Continental footbeds leave a bit to be desired, they can be a bit over moulded and don't seem to last as long as others but you can pick up a lot of Terrex styles on places like sportshoes for pretty reasonable prices

PaulJepson 26 Aug 2021

Really like the Innov8 mudclaws for mud, grass, trails, etc and they stick pretty well to scrambly stuff. Not sure I'd like to wear them to the pub and I can't imagine they're very good for any edgy climbing. 

The gtx inov8 roclites are very good. I wear them for scrambling up to mod or so, walk-ins and just generally knocking about. The sole is a really compromise for traction on lots of different surfaces. I've just bought a pair of the mid-ankled ones on special offer for doing long walks, did the Yorkshire 3 peaks in them last week and am pretty happy.

salad fingers 26 Aug 2021

Salomon XA Pro 3d GTX might do you. I had the non-GTX version and wore them to destruction - really liked them! - mostly walking/fastpacking, bit of running, and generally mooching about. 

Post edited at 17:41
 walts4 26 Aug 2021

Sportiva Akrya. 

Scarpa Neutron GTX?   They are a bit heavier than a normal running shoe and I used them mainly for backpacking and summer hillwalking.  For the first year or so they were really waterproof, my first long distance walk in them it was p*ssing down for days and the only time my feet got wet was when I had to cross an area of hillside where a stream had burst its banks and it was a couple of inches deep flowing water.

The main issue I found was sweaty feet compared to a non-GTX running shoe and after a few months of daily use they smelled worse than climbing shoes.  There's also a non-GTX version.

Post edited at 04:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...