UKC

Pembroke Range West - increased use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jbrom 31 Aug 2021

Had a great day today at Range West, having made the most of the less onerous arrangements for access (hopefully the new arrangements stay post Covid).  It got me thinking, I wonder how many, if any, more people have been able to access Range West and climb there now that attending a briefing in person is not required.

Would be interesting if there was a way of pulling data from UKC logbooks to see.

In reply to jbrom:

The Mod would be a better source of data. The guys in the guard noise reported an increase in users in conversation.

It will be interesting to see whether the new arrangements will remain, they are in arguably easier for climbers and other users. Most likely easier for the mod too.

However the restrictions are there because civilian visitors are not wanted. Face to face briefings could be preferable to the mod as the limit numbers. It is after all their land and there are many good reasons for us not to be there. 

MarkH55 01 Sep 2021
In reply to jbrom:

We were there on Monday (for the first time) and thinking the same thing.  I guess the MOD will be monitoring any increase in incidents/issues against entry numbers and making a decision based on that.  Hopefully everyone who goes in behaves themselves.  

We went to the guardroom at 10:30 ish on Sunday and they were already at max capacity, not sure if this is normal for a bank holiday.

In reply to Presley Whippet:

House, not noise. 

whenry 01 Sep 2021
In reply to MarkH55:

The guards told us in July that they've regularly been reaching capacity, not just at bank holidays (though when we went to the range only six other groups had signed in). The crags in Pembrokeshire have generally seemed busier this year though - possibly people who'd usually go abroad for a climbing holiday are staying in the UK?

kmsands 01 Sep 2021
In reply to jbrom:

I think with the move to online there was also an increase to daily capacity from 30 to 50, so if they're hitting that regularly, it probably does indicate increased popularity.

If you're interested (and can excuse the plug), I wrote an article for the latest issue of Climber about the successful Range West mass trespass in 1991, which was what got the MOD to agree to limited access for climbers. I hadn't actually climbed there when I wrote it, but I did in June (and with some of the original trespassers) - it is such a great place.

Paul Hy 01 Sep 2021
In reply to jbrom:Three of us went there on a Wed last month, got to guardroom at about 9:30 and there was already 10 people booked in before us, and another 5 arrived while we were booking in.  saying that though we only saw two people all day at the range.  It'll be obvious though if you want to climb at Bulliber (pg 228 in CC guide) that if abbing in, be careful of the vast amount of loose stuff on the edge just waiting to come raining down on you!

Howard J 01 Sep 2021
In reply to jbrom:

I've been going to Pembroke annually for at least 20 years, but this year was the first time I was able to visit Range West.  Previously it had been too inconvenient to attend the briefings.  I very much hope they will continue to do them online in the future.

We visited during the second week in August and went to Range West on several days.  Each time there were plenty of passes left, and we saw hardly anyone.  However the other crags also seemed relatively quiet, even Saddle Head.

I take the point that the MoD doesn't really want us there, but the present system has been in place for many years and presumably works to their reasonable satisfaction.  They are able to limit the number of passes issued at any time.  All that has changed is the briefing process.  I suppose it could be said that having to attend in person attracts only the most committed, and going online opens it up to all and sundry including some who may then ignore the rules, but if everyone respects the process and behaves themselves then I can see no good reason for not continuing with it.

dominic o 02 Sep 2021
In reply to jbrom:

We've also benefitted from the more streamlined process to visit this marvellous, wild place for the first time this year. The MoD and BMC deserve great credit for putting in place the new system in response to the pandemic - it would have been much easier to just suspend access. We were also really impressed with how friendly welcoming and efficient the guards were. Thank you!

I very much hope that agreement can be reached to retain the online process in the "new normal". Some beta and a few pics here - can't wait to get back for more! 

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2021/05/22/range-west/

Cheers, Dom 

gethin_allen 02 Sep 2021
In reply to MarkH55:

> We went to the guardroom at 10:30 ish on Sunday and they were already at max capacity, not sure if this is normal for a bank holiday.

In the past there has been in increased allowance for the long bank holidays. I've been to a few in person briefings on the bank holidays where the lecture theatre was brim full and the lay by outside the gates full of cars and vans and yet we were able to get on the range without turning up particularly early.

Dave Rumney 02 Sep 2021
In reply to jbrom:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's busier this year than it has ever been in there.

I've been climbing in Pembroke for over 30 years and although i've been to a few briefings over the years, this is the first year i've made it into Range West because it's now easier for all members of the climbing party to be briefed and sign the forms.

I've now been in a few times over the summer and it's only been full once on the weekend of the mass trespass anniversary in June when the weather was great. 

(On that occasion we were heading back out to Gupton gate after a good days climbing only to be invited by an army unit having R&R on the beach to help them with their bbq and beers - all very sociable and a rather memorable day)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...