UKC

NEWS: Gary Gibson climbs his 5000th First Ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Sep 2021

Prolific new-router Gary Gibson recently climbed his 5,000th new route — an impressive achievement following a period of ill health. A keen route-logger with his own database of climbs and first ascents, Gary reckons he has climbed around 17,600 routes in total so far in his career. 

Read more

nickcanute 01 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort Gary, a determined and tenacious ascent!

Gary Gibson 01 Sep 2021
In reply to nickcanute:thank you to you and everyone that has supported me through some very tough times of late and I am flattered by the article and as always my love to Hazel who has always been alongside me on this turbulent journey 💝

John Mcshea 01 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC News:

But the jersey.... where's the stripey jersey?

Lankyman 01 Sep 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Congrats on getting there. An interesting read, Gary, particularly where you talk about your future. I've not climbed for almost a decade now. Some aspects I miss, particularly the sheer pleasure of moving over rock  (when it worked!). Other aspects I don't. I think climbing accentuated some of my less desirable personality traits and brought out an obsessive and selfish side in me. Giving up did feel a little bit sad but also freeing in a way. It's good to hear you have other things to fill the future with. Is this last route your swan song? Also, do you know how many Hazel accompanied you on? She often seemed to figure in the Pembroke articles in the old mags.

Gary Gibson 01 Sep 2021
In reply to Lankyman:Hazel is the absolute love of my life, my friend added to which, she helped save my life when a block fractured my skull, severed the rope and put me into a coma and into life support in Frenchay hospital in 1988

this may be my swan song as climbing is very difficult at the moment with no feeling in either hand, as you can imagine but it’s not a badge of honour either

Gary Gibson 01 Sep 2021
In reply to John Mcshea:in my cupboard as a cherished memory

Gary Gibson 01 Sep 2021
In reply to Lankyman:Hazel has been on well over 4,000 plus

Slackboot 01 Sep 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

I think it's a fantastic achievement, and to find a soulmate to accompany you on the journey is brilliant. A life well lived as they say. Congratulations.

Paul Ha 02 Sep 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Well done Gary (and Hazel) its a privilege and honour to have been on one or two of those ascents. ...inspirational. Up the Wolves!

Southvillain 02 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC News:

What a stunning achievement and, at the outset, in the teeth of a deal of opprobrium. You couldn't pick up a climbing mag in the early 80s without some vituperative comment on his use of bolts. Have a rest!

robmatheson 02 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Gary, Could you calculate how many metres of hole have you drilled !! Totally respect your commitment and drive over the years .

Gary Gibson 02 Sep 2021
In reply to robmatheson:through  to New Zealand and back?

Gary Gibson 02 Sep 2021
In reply to Southvillain:thank you and I intend doing just that, I think I have earned it?

Gary Gibson 02 Sep 2021
In reply to Paul Ha:thanks Paul, I have always enjoyed your company and friendship and limitless support when writing the Lundy guides

In reply to Gary Gibson:

Just think, if you hadn't done those two routes at the mythical Torside Clough you'd only be at 4,998.

Well done old bean.

bonebag 02 Sep 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Hope to see you at Harpur Hill again soon Gary. A great effort.

Gary Gibson 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Frank the Husky:cake time?

roger whetton 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

It's always cake time Gary (and Martin)....

Gary Gibson 03 Sep 2021
In reply to roger whetton:my treat

Mick B 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Well done Gary.

Thanks for all your hard work.  It's very much appreciated.

In reply to Gary Gibson: Well done Gary, we would frequently climb your routes when I lived in Derbyshire. Thanks for all of the hard work creating these routes.. All the very best, Simon

Gary Gibson 06 Sep 2021
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:my pleasure and obsession 

Henry Iddon 06 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort. Who knew - David Hockney was a climber !!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...