UKC

ARTICLE: Hexcentric Beats - Making Electronic Music with Climbing Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Sep 2021

The jingle-jangle of gear jostling for position on a climber's harness is a familiar soundtrack to trad climbing — in perfect harmony with the grunting and swearing, of course. Appreciating its sonority and timbre, climber and musician Caro C experimented with creating electronic music tracks using nuts, hexes, cams and clicking carabiners from her rack. Described as a "sonic enchantress" on BBC Radio 3 and a "one-woman electronic avalanche" by BBC Introducing, Caro composes, produces and performs electronic music using a mix of sound equipment, instruments, vocals and 'found sounds'. 

Read more

In reply to UKC Articles:

Interesting sounds, I enjoyed that.

I'll be taking my glowsticks to the crag in the hopes of an impromptu rave.

rice boy 09 Sep 2021

Really nicely developed, I enjoyed that despite the noise of gear knocking together having the opposite effect on me - it grates. 

Strong nod to Kraftwerk in the first track.

full stottie 09 Sep 2021

Fantastic creative experiment! I love the whole exploratory potential of DAW software and especially when its married to the visuals. Great stuff.

dread-i 09 Sep 2021

I enjoyed that, especially the second 'shimmering' piece. The rocks with delay remind me of something, but I cant place it. If I'd heard the track out of context, I wouldn't have guessed source of the sounds.

That's a well balanced mix. Lots of space for each element, clarity and a really phat bass sound.

Bonus points for having a colander on your desk. I don't know if that's a nod to Abbey Rd studios and the wacky recording techniques they developed or you're just a fan of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Henry Iddon 09 Sep 2021

All very Mathew Herbert - His 'Plat de Jour' album is made with food sounds.

alx 09 Sep 2021

Noice 

SL77 10 Sep 2021
In reply to dread-i:

I thinks it's more of a nod to the work of Delia Derbyshire and the radiophonic workshop. The artist Caro C heads the Delia Derbyshire Day charity bringing found sound electronica to schools/children/under privileged people's. If you enjoyed thus you should check out her back catalogue or at least check out her website!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...