UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Lucy Walker - The First Woman on the Matterhorn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Sep 2021

150 years ago in 1871, Liverpudlian Lucy Walker became the first woman to climb the Matterhorn. She not only managed the climb in cumbersome skirts and hobnail boots but also overcame a deeply embedded gender bias in mountaineering, inspiring countless future female alpinists to follow in her footsteps.

Read more

Moacs 18 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC News:

tl;dw the "British outdoor adventurer" didn't manage to "conquer" the "most iconic mountain in the world" despite "building her upper body strength", "training in an oxygen tent", and wanting to follow in the footsteps of the "first female to conquer it".

Moacs 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Actually, why on earth would you train in an oxygen tent for a lower oxygen environment?

Removed User 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Christ that was even less epic than my attempt. I got as far as the Shoulder with a hangover and having the embarrassment of an English guide asking whether we'd set of from the first lift we were running so late. The toughest challenge was walking back down to Zermatt that day in Birkenstocks.

In reply to Removed User:

Are you a 19th century Victorian woman?

Removed User 21 Sep 2021
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

I was relating my experience as compared to 21st century "adventurer" Olivia Jane.. .

McHeath 22 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Mammut's doing really well on here recently; this jaw-dropping adventure was a fitting follow-up to the news about the incredible Climbax. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...