UKC

What does redpoint and headpoint mean?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
matnoo 15 Feb 2004
(Dont realy need to write anything here do I?)
OP Aly 15 Feb 2004
In reply to matnoo: I think it is as follows but will probably be corrected by some ethics know-all:

Redpoint - a worked sports climbing route (i.e. practised over and over on top-rope) which is then climbed clean, in one push, placing all quick-draws. Pre-placing the QDs is technically called a pinkpoint but there is little distinction between red and pink points nowadays (i.e. redpoints used pre-placed QDs)

Headpoint - a worked route (top-rope practise) that is eventually climbed in traditional style or soloed. Such routes are normally hard and have little/no adequate gear. The term is basically a trad style redpoint but it is deemed unethical to pre-place the trad gear (normally).

Ductape 16 Feb 2004
In reply to matnoo: Redpoint can also refer to a pre-practiced trad route which is led from the ground to the top without falls or rests, placing all gear on lead - just as for sport. Headpointing is redpointing a route where the psychological aspects are a major difficulty - high-E grit being a classic example.

I still use the "pinkpoint" concept, but fewer people seem to do so now - even see people claiming gear-protected routes as redpoints when the gear has been pre-placed. They climb their mountains, I climb mine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...