UKC

Lightweight crampons/Microspikes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 10 Oct 2021

Climbing Technology Ice Traction Plus or Kahtoola Microspikes Quad?

raincloud 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

Grivel ran

OP Gordonbp 10 Oct 2021
In reply to raincloud:

Not seen those - I'll take a look!

OP Gordonbp 10 Oct 2021
In reply to raincloud:

Looks like there might be a sizing issue there. My boots are 44 1/2 - the Grivels go to 44 then 45?

girlymonkey 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

Black diamond access spikes!

AlanLittle 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

Camp Ice Master Light

raincloud 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

I have 44.5 boots / running shoes and size large grivel ran fit fine

OP Gordonbp 11 Oct 2021
In reply to raincloud:

Cheers!

kathrync 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

Depends on what you want them for. I bought Kahtoola Exospikes for running last year and they're brilliant for icy pavements and trails. 

OP Gordonbp 11 Oct 2021
In reply to kathrync:

I have a full set of winter boots and crampons - my days of winter mountaineering are over I suspect, so I'm looking for something to stop slipping on iced or snow bound tracks etc....

kathrync 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

How steep? I think that's the real key. The Exospikes were great for iced up trails, and did me well running icy sections of the West Highland Way last year. I wouldn't trust them for anything much steeper than the Devil's staircase though, that was about their limit. 

OP Gordonbp 11 Oct 2021
In reply to kathrync:

Which Devil's Staircase?

kathrync 11 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

Given that I was talking about the West Highland Way - the one on the West Highland Way (Glencoe -> Kinlochleven)

OP Gordonbp 11 Oct 2021
In reply to kathrync:

rachcrewe 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

I got some Kahtoola Microspikes last year and they are great for running in snow and ice. They have a two year warranty. I think icy pavements need something slimmer profile like the exospikes. You can feel each spike through trail shoe soles when running on harder ground. 

More-On 12 Oct 2021
In reply to rachcrewe:

> I think icy pavements need something slimmer profile like the exospikes. You can feel each spike through trail shoe soles when running on harder ground. 

I've got the EzyShoes X-Treme for icy pavements. I won't use them on serious terrain, but for sub zero days on road and trail down here in Wiltshire they are spot on.

ScraggyGoat 12 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

My partner was issued as PPE, ICEtrekkers by Icegripper when in Dead Horse, Alaska…….why did the horse die; it was minus Forty. Eg:

https://icegripper.co.uk/products/icetrekkers-diamond-grip-small
They have a slimmer profile.

Very good on iced land drover tracks, and pavements, quick to get on an off (usefull if going into a shop). The chains coming up the side are very robust, compared to other makes. Obviously will start to roll on your boot if you try to use them on steeper slopes, and I probably wouldn’t run in them. 

Post edited at 10:45
In reply to Gordonbp:

> I have a full set of winter boots and crampons - my days of winter mountaineering are over I suspect, so I'm looking for something to stop slipping on iced or snow bound tracks etc....

I have the Microspikes and they are excellent. You can put them on trainers or boots. 

JuneBob 13 Oct 2021
OP Gordonbp 13 Oct 2021
In reply to JuneBob:

Wow. They look brilliant! have to save up for those.....

PaulJepson 13 Oct 2021
In reply to Gordonbp:

They also would only go on a boot with a lug at the front, by the looks of things (like a B3 or ski boot). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...