UKC

Recyclable/Recycled Running Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Garethza 15 Oct 2021

It just seems a waste to have to chuck out a pair of shoes after every season.. so I am looking in to getting some sort of 'sustainable' everyday running shoe that can be used on road and some light trails. (I currently use Hoka Hoka Challengers for this purpose)

I see there are some shoes (Salomon Index .01 & ON Cyclon) coming out now with a 'closed loop' which sounds like a great idea, but the all white colour and minimal tread is not really ideal for wet weather!

Alternatively are there any decent shoes made from 100% recycled materials? A quick google has suggested there are a few from brands such as Allbirds, Hylo etc - if anyone has tried any of them I would be interested to know how you got on!

girlymonkey 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Garethza:

I can't directly answer your question, but my solution has been to always buy second hand wherever possible. I generally find some which have plenty of life in them for around £30 and then when they are no longer suitable for running they get used for dog walks/ bike commutes/ gardening etc. Ultimately, I still end up with them going to landfill, but it's the lowest impact I have found. 

I will be keen to hear if there are proper eco friendly ones out there (and if so, will they fit my hobbit feet and deal with Scottish mud?!)

steveriley 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Garethza:

Not your question but if you've got a Cotswold/Runners Need near you - https://www.runnersneed.com/about-us/recyclemyrun.html

OP Garethza 15 Oct 2021
In reply to steveriley:

Yeah i saw that as well and will probably be giving my old shoes... However these schemes just generally send the shoes / clothes to impoverished countries where they then get dumped which is not really a solution to the problem! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...