UKC

Next step up from the South Downs Way?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 18 Oct 2021

There's often good mountain biking advice on here - so it's worth an ask I think. I'm a not very competent off-roader who has just completed the South Downs Way (in two and a half days). I have to admit I found it quite tough, but an excellent ride.

So where do I go next for a multi-day ride of similar enjoyment and difficulty,  but perhaps just a little step up?  

All thoughts welcome. Many thanks

Martin

steveb2006 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

The Mary Towneley loop in a day is good - did it in a perfect weather window last Friday. Or do it in a  more leisurely 2 days backpacking.

In the Peak there is the Peak 200 - a 225km route - not done it yet but would like to.

Pennine Bridleway - a much longer route from Derbyshire to Cumbria.

Ps the South Downs Way is good isnt it - did it 2 years ago in a similar time to you - just after clocks went back! I believe a North Downs Way is being established.

OP Martin Hore 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Thank you for those suggestions. King Alfred's Way and the Mary Townley loop both look good (in their different ways). Might well try them out.

Thanks again

Martin

Yanis Nayu 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Either the north downs or the south ups. 

Cusco 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

The Dartmoor Way over two days? Somewhat hilly by all accounts (I hope to find out next year).

I did the Devon Coast to Coast in a day on my Sherman Tank MTB in August but two days or three is more usual. It's a step down from the South Downs Way I suspect, but a great and varied route which has a satisfying aesthetic on the Strava map.

TheGeneralist 19 Oct 2021
In reply to stewart murray:

Be wary of this in winter. It was absolutely slated recently as being a contrived  gate infested mudfest.

In reply to TheGeneralist:

yep haven't done it, but lived in area, not really an MTB route  more suitable for gravel bikes and yes very contrived, as around the edges of muddy fields.

artif 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

The Ridgeway. Take plenty of water though

monkey man 19 Oct 2021
In reply to artif:

This is a really good day out, good shout. Easier than the SDW. there are some taps on the route but not as well labelled as the SDW so take some finding. 

coast to coast ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...