UKC

what's near kendal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jessyb55 28 Oct 2021

Just planning my kendal film fest trip.  I'd like to combine in with some half day, walking, scrambling, possibly cold climbing, mountain biking, ghyll scrambles / whatever, just some outdoor stuff.  Just wondering if there are places and things to do that could meet those criteria.  I've left one whole day to head right into the heart of the hills but for the other 2 days I'd have half days max.

Thanks

ebdon 28 Oct 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

You basically have the much of the Yorkshire Dale's 30 minutes away in one direction and the southern part of the lakes NP in the other, so quite a lot to go at! Previous KMFF I have run the kentmere horseshoe, done the Fairfield horseshoe, mountain biked high street as well as runs/bike rides from kendal - scout scar etc... 

This year all my kendall based friends now all have babies so activities will probably revolve more around trying not to get vomited on etc...

Wainers44 28 Oct 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Kentmere area is the obvious target for a half day. Garburn Road, from that side or even off the top past Sallows etc gets you nice and high quickly.

Longsleddale is OK, pretty, but options are more limited. 

Lankyman 28 Oct 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Weather may well be rubbish. Turn your sights south and head to Arnside/Silverdale AONB. Lots of nice coastal walks and little hills with woodland to escape the wind. If it's dry you could boulder or solo short stuff on the many limestone crags. Warton Crag has a couple of quick drying options Warton Upper Crag and Warton Pinnacle Crag Other options nearby but most are in trees so not so quick to dry. RSPB Leighton Moss is close to Trowbarrow It's possible to bus and train it from Kendal.

plyometrics 28 Oct 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Get to Staveley for one of your half days. Plenty of MTB action round there and More bakery for nosh afterwards. Just ask in wheelbase, the bike shop in Staveley, for the beta on riding. 

Kentmere and Longsleddale good for walking / bit of scrambling. NE Ridge of Ill Bell from Kentmere reservoir is a great steep walk. 

Enjoy. 

ebdon 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Everyone knows the weather on the weekend of the KMFF is always amazing sods law as your stuck in a dark lecture theatre!

OP jessyb55 28 Oct 2021

Thanks all.  Some things I'd never have thought of just poring over a map.  It is a bit tricky trying to get the balance between watching stuff & doing shit esp in Nov. 

a crap climber 28 Oct 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

For half a day from Kendal I'd say mountain biking is likely to be the best option at that time of year. As others have said there's plenty of riding round stavely/kentmere. Can offer some suggestions if you like, but it shouldn't be hard to figure something out with a map or find some routes on the internet

In reply to jessyb55:

There is always the best sport crag in the lakes, reliable in all weather's. 

Dave Ferguson 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Beck Wythop is a bit of a way from Kendal.

In reply to Dave Ferguson:

😂

C Witter 29 Oct 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

Do you have a car? If so, well... the world's your lobster.

As Ebdon says above, the weather the few years has been (relatively) great during the festival. I remember 2018 particularly fondly, as it involved a very cold but luminous day on Gimmer and Harrison Stickle with one of my closest friends, whilst other friends moaned about increasing ticket prices at the festival. 

2020 it seems I managed a day out bouldering at Thorn Crag. 2019 I spent the day in Langdale, trad climbing. 2018 I was also in Langdale, trad climbing. 2017 was actually a bit damp and cold, but I got out... in Langdale trad climbing... as well as Wasdale for a weekend of walking.

Quite a theme... I'm recommending Langdale for trad climbing? More seriously, all the crags in Langdale face south, so they're a good bet at this time of year. You've Gimmer if the weather's unexpectedly amazing/you're feeling hardy, the two Ravens and White Ghyll if you need something more sheltered, and Elterwater and Little Langdale if the day turns into a damp low-level walk.

In reply to jessyb55:

I've managed to sneak a few things in/around Kendal over the years, most of which match your criteria:

• / Farleton Crag - whilst the limestone can feel pretty cold, these two bouldering venues are in the rain shadow, hence get a lot better weather than the Lakes, and are pleasant little spots that I probably wouldn't have gone to unless I was in the area 
  • Loughrigg - it's not the biggest of fells, but it does provide a pleasant run or walk up/down from Ambleside, which can be extended in a variety of different ways
  • Kentmere Horseshoe/Fairfield Horseshoe - if you fancy something longer these are both pretty accessible from Kendal and are about as good as it gets, although they are quite big days if you're walking (it depends on how quick you're walking!)
  • Langdale Boulders - another good quick hit venue that's close-ish to Kendal and has a very short approach. Not loads there, but what's there is good, and each problem is a classic.

Hope that's of help!

Rob

In reply to jessyb55:

On a more serious note.

Buy tickets for the films you wish to see. If the weather is poor go to watch them. If the weather is good, give, sell, throw them away and go out and enjoy yourself.

Doing is better than watching. 

C Witter 29 Oct 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Since there are lots of recommendations for Silverdale area, this local challenge could be a good day out for many, if the weather accommodates:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1837

Lankyman 29 Oct 2021

Not sure I'd recommend Farleton Crag this time of year? It won't get any sun until the afternoon and so probably going to stay wet longer. Hutton Roof Crags would be a better bet for short, quick drying limestone

In reply to C Witter:

> Since there are lots of recommendations for Silverdale area, this local challenge could be a good day out for many, if the weather accommodates: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1837

That sounds great!

Whilst I didn't put it in my original list I did get lucky one year and climbed at Chapel Head Scar in shorts and t-shirt, which was pretty memorable, but alas - it's only happened once!

In reply to Lankyman:

> Not sure I'd recommend Farleton Crag this time of year? It won't get any sun until the afternoon and so probably going to stay wet longer. Hutton Roof Crags would be a better bet for short, quick drying limestone

I did say it was cold, but you're quite right - somewhere like Hutton Roof would be much more reliable. 

John Gresty 29 Oct 2021
In reply to jessyb55:

A few years ago I met a well known climbing couple on White Ghyll, on the Saturday afternoon of the Kendal festival. When I spoke to them they freely admitted that they should have been at the Festival but that the weather was too nice to be stuck indoors all afternoon. 

John

C Witter 29 Oct 2021

Yeh... CHS is the spot for those looking to climb 7a and above. A lovely spot: great, grippy rock; owls and peregrines; nice views and limestone environs. And, if it's too damp, you can wander up onto Whitbarrow. But, below 6c there's not much of quality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...