UKC

Snow 'Season' for major west coast peaks (Liathach, An Teallach..)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peterswindley 03 Nov 2021

Hi there,

I am new to this forum, exciting to be planning a Liathach autumn/winter climb.  I've had a look around using the search, but oddly cannot find the specific answer to this question.  I've also tried general web searches, but strangely cannot find the info.  

My particular question is:

At what time of the year does Liathach get regular snow (and build up of) on the tops?  (This is not to do with winter sports like snowboarding- only as it relates to climbing/scrambling).

And secondly, does anyone know what the conditions are like right now?  I see on metoffice there is snow forecast, but nowhere have I found anything confirming whether or not it's building up?  I've looked for webcams etc..

I'm guessing it's about now, but I don't want to travel and find it's just rain.

Thanks for your help

Peter   

SimonCRMC 03 Nov 2021
In reply to Peterswindley:

Hi Peter

Scottish winter conditions can be very variable.  SAIS (Scottish Avalanche Information Service) will start daily area reports in a few weeks' time which are a good source of information.  Otherwise try following local guides etc via social media as they can often give on the spot info.

HTH

Simon

Graeme G 03 Nov 2021

> At what time of the year does Liathach get regular snow

Usually around 8.17am on 12th January.

Sorry……couldn’t resist.

You're trying to predict the unpredictable. You need to watch the weather forecasts, for weeks. Follow all the evidence you can gather. And even then on the day you go for it don’t be surprised if conditions aren’t what you expected.

Myr 03 Nov 2021

Snow could fall on Liathach on any day of the year. But the weather varies so much from week to week that even in deep winter, there is no time when lying snow is guaranteed. Being so close to the warmth of the sea, and one of the lower Munros, snow-lie is more fleeting on Liathach than on higher, more inland mountains.

So although any time from December to March has a fair chance of lying snow on Liathach, there is no date on which it would be guaranteed. Your best bet is firstly to check the current conditions based on internet reports (Facebook, Twitter, here) and webcams at similar altitude. Then use the weather forecast to assess whether snow is likely to build up or melt over the next few days. 

Over the next 10 days it looks like there may be the odd brief dusting of snow, but otherwise Liathach will be snow-free.

smithg 03 Nov 2021

No build up now. 

There may be significant snow at any point between Nov and May. Often it comes for a few days or weeks and then all melts away again. Some years there’s virtually no build up at all. 
The winter conditions pages on here are a good indication of what things are like by inferring from what routes are being done. There are also lots of social media accounts who share reports when they go out.

Adam Godwin 03 Nov 2021

This maybe of interest Peter:

https://www.winterclimbingforecasts.co.uk/

Hopefully another useful resource for the community along with SAIS, MWIS, UKC/FB reports etc.

Feel free to delete admins if inappropriate advertising (I'm the creator behind the app)

Last winter if you were a local you could have climbed on liathach right through from early December until March . It was an exceptional winter up here in NW Highlands which was no good to the majority who were penned in  by lockdowns. There then Followed the driest5-6 month spell I can remember. Has Rained fairly solidly for whole of October. Colder at the moment with a light dusting on the tops which will be gone  by this weekend with rising temperatures. Staying unsettled through whole of next week with some prospect of getting colder again during last fortnight of the month. Settled winter conditions are rare here before late January. Last winter as I said was exceptional. I will post on conditions as and when I can. Note that SAIS snow reports normally start in early December and Torridon is one of the areas covered. I would love to be proved wrong but at the moment prospects for this coming winter not looking too great .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...