UKC

Your Favourite Film...results!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slackboot 06 Nov 2021

Here are the top films ranked by their original scores ( ie. not by adding on subsequent scores)Films scoring 10 initially or less are not shown. (Apologies for any mistakes)

1) Pulp Fiction

2) Das Boot

3) Big Lebowski

4) Apocalypse Now, Alien

5) Groundhog Day

6) Shawshank Redemption, Gladiator, Zulu, LOTR

7) Local Hero, Donnie Darko,Brazil, No Country for Old Men

8) Dr. Strangelove, Life of Brian

Post edited at 18:09
 Shani 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Fake news. No 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly'?

Michael Hood 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

It took me a few years to finally find a copy of Pulp Fiction in a charity shop (Kill Bill & Reservoir Dogs were comparatively common), but funnily, since getting the DVD I've had absolutely no compunction to watch it - very strange.

Pedro50 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Because it's circular it's best watched twice IMHO. Indescribably essential. 

Sean Kelly 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Sorry, but PF does nothing for me. I have tried to watch it a few times but always switch over after a short while. Surprised no mention of Master & Commander or Black Hawk Down. But agree with Gladiator & Zulu. The latter I watched at our local fleapit with my dad, who was in the SWB for 25 years and actually met one of the VC's. and had told us the story beforehand.

Thanks for posting.

Michael Hood 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

That may be partly why, knowing that I can never repeat that amazing feeling of when the penny drops as you fit it all together.

Pedro50 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Like you my father took me to see Zulu when I was about 10 and I thought it was awesome. Nowadays the thought of slaughtering an indigenous innocent people makes me very queezy. For a Christmas movie I prefer The Great Escape. 

Pedro50 06 Nov 2021

> That may be partly why, knowing that I can never repeat that amazing feeling of when the penny drops as you fit it all together.

I take your point.

OP Slackboot 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Shani:

> Fake news. No 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly'?

I think it got a 10.

OP Slackboot 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I think Master and Commander got a 7.

It was worth finding out what people liked and from this I am going to watch Road to Welleville, American Splendour, Four Lions, Festen, Big Wednesday, Mystic River and others. Not being a film buff I've never even heard of them! Thanks to everyone for posting.

Post edited at 20:47
 Shani 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

> I think it got a 10.

Well, "Flash Gordon" should be in the mix and if "Spinal Tap" didn't make '11' then we know the poll was rigged!

nathan79 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I enjoyed sections of Pulp Fiction but not the film as a whole. I'm no fan of Taranto generally but I feel it's probably his best work. (Reservoir Dogs did nothing for me despite all the hype, Jackie Brown I don't think I could watch all the way through, Kill Bill's e were watchable).

In reply to Slackboot:

> Here are the top films ranked by their original scores ( ie. not by adding on subsequent scores)Films scoring 10 initially or less are not shown. (Apologies for any mistakes)

> 1) Pulp Fiction

> 2) Das Boot

> 3) Big Lebowski

> 4) Apocalypse Now, Alien

> 5) Groundhog Day

> 6) Shawshank Redemption, Gladiator, Zulu, LOTR

> 7) Local Hero, Donnie Darko,Brazil, No Country for Old Men

> 8) Dr. Strangelove, Life of Brian

I feel extremely glad and privileged to have worked as an assistant editor for the great directors of three of these movies - numbers 2, 4b, and 8a. In each case, on later movies that they made. Among the greatest people I've met in my entire life, one of them more or less in a class of his own.

The movie world combines the magic of modern technology with potentially profound depth of meaning. The experience of movie-making is an extreme magic that has exceeded anything else in my life, including the magic of climbing. I'm just starting to right a book about this now ...

Post edited at 23:14
 dunc56 06 Nov 2021

> It took me a few years to finally find a copy of Pulp Fiction in a charity shop (Kill Bill & Reservoir Dogs were comparatively common), but funnily, since getting the DVD I've had absolutely no compunction to watch it - very strange.

Compunction?

Le Sapeur 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

A predictable list of mostly Hollywood blockbusters. Nothing from Haneke or Herzog etc. It’s a bit like saying Bat out of Hell is my favourite piece of music.

Sorry!

Bottom Clinger 06 Nov 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

You’re The Dude!

Michael Hood 06 Nov 2021
In reply to dunc56:

> Compunction?

Well spotted, I think compulsion might be more appropriate. But with that being over 4 hours ago, I've no idea whether I actually erroneously intended compunction or whether good old autocorrect did it for me.

65 07 Nov 2021
In reply to nathan79:

> I enjoyed sections of Pulp Fiction but not the film as a whole. I'm no fan of Taranto generally but I feel it's probably his best work. (Reservoir Dogs did nothing for me despite all the hype, Jackie Brown I don't think I could watch all the way through, Kill Bill's e were watchable).

I thought Jackie Brown was Tarantino's only really good film. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed other Tarantino films; Reservoir Dogs was fantastically intense and Pulp Fiction is great fun, but for me most of his films are like cartoons and he hasn't grown out of thinking he's being really edgy by saying "nigger" over and over, his own character in PF is irritating in the extreme in this regard. 

In reply to Le Sapeur:

> A predictable list of mostly Hollywood blockbusters. Nothing from Haneke or Herzog etc. It’s a bit like saying Bat out of Hell is my favourite piece of music.

A very odd comment, because of the 16 movies mentioned, at least 5 or 6 of them did not have the backing of the Hollywood 'majors'.

As a writer, movie-maker, and photographer, I know that I have virtually no control over the extent to which people may or may not like my work. How an audience/consumers react is by no means predictable. You can make something that's arguably very good/well accomplished, but you cannot make people like it. To generalise: they either do or they don't, and the way they react is often unexpected.

Post edited at 00:29
 dunc56 07 Nov 2021

> Well spotted, I think compulsion might be more appropriate. But with that being over 4 hours ago, I've no idea whether I actually erroneously intended compunction or whether good old autocorrect did it for me.

Sorry for being a pedant. I’m sure it was an autocorrect cock up.

In reply to nathan79:

> I enjoyed sections of Pulp Fiction but not the film as a whole. I'm no fan of Taranto generally but I feel it's probably his best work. (Reservoir Dogs did nothing for me despite all the hype, Jackie Brown I don't think I could watch all the way through, Kill Bill's e were watchable).

Im the same re PF. I like some, some just drags. I seem to recall that it was voted by experts to be the best film of all time.

I think QTs best work is True Romance although I dont think he directed it. Didnt he write it?

Anyhoo, it also has one of the best baddies too in Drexl Spivey. Oldman plays this small but significant part to perfection.

Rob 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Yes, would have been nice to have had some Herzog, Fellini, Antonioni etc...

Post edited at 13:47
 Jon Stewart 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

I wonder if when in our lives we see great films has a big impact on whether we become attached to them or not?

I didn't contribute to the poll, because I can't choose between my 3 favourites which I watch every year, just about: The Big Lebowski, Withnail and I, and Living In Oblivion. These 3 films resonate most strongly with my sense of humour, but I don't actually think they're really the "best" films ever made. These are all films I got to know in my teens and twenties, a crucial age when forming one's identity. Since they still seem great now I'm 40-odd, they say something that's in a sense "true" or "fundamental" about me. In fact, as time goes on and I become more and more like some kind of cross-breed of Danny and Uncle Monty, and as political events extinguish the dying embers of hope for our society, Withnail and I resonates more and more strongly with each watch.

Conversely, I loved Pulp Fiction when it came out, but now all of Tarantino's films seem to me like films for teenaged boys. Sorry to join in with the snooty QT-bashing, but I do hate his films now, although I used to love them.

A few weeks ago I watched Parasite, and more objectively, that might be one of the best films I've ever seen. But at this age, it's not contributing anything to my personal identity, it's too late to the party. Similarly with some other stuff that might be "better" than my top 3, like films by Haneke, Östlund, etc, these are just great films I've seen over the years but they haven't had the same impact as the stuff I got into as a teenager which I still love today.

Looking at the titles, I suspect that the reasons many people's favourites are what they are have a lot to do with when they first saw them, rather than how "good" they are. Or maybe they just don't make'em like they used to? Unlikely!

Post edited at 14:51
 squarepeg 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Blimey, I have only seen four of the winners. 

OP Slackboot 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I think you may have a point with regard to when people first see a film. I was watching Lawrence of Arabia for the umpteenth time when I decided to post. I was definitely remembering the first time I ever saw it while I watched it this time. It's such a brilliant film in terms of plot, cinematography, acting, and music score. They all work together to create a great film. Despite this I can't get the 'younger' members of my family to watch it. (  Younger = 30's). They just see it as 'old fashioned'. 

Others I would include as great are '12 Angry Men', and 'In the Heat of the Night'. And I would put 'The Day of the Jackal' in there as a good film. All films reflecting my age.

Post edited at 17:24
 blackcat 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

My favourite film is an oldie  rear window must of seen it fifteen times absolute masterpiece.

OP Slackboot 07 Nov 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

> Blimey, I have only seen four of the winners. 

You have some good viewing ahead of you

JLS 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

>”I'm just starting to right a book about this now ...”

Had it fallen over?

Tom Valentine 07 Nov 2021
In reply to 65:

> I thought Jackie Brown was Tarantino's only really good film. 

Agree totally and much as I love Bridget Fonda, she deserves what she gets,

cb294 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Seriously, Gladiator???

When it came to the cinemas, our tech rounded up the male members of the lab for a night at the movies: Lads, it's Titanic for the boys!

Enjoyable but not a classic that I would rewatch again and again. Master and Commander was much better, but I would have preferred them hunting down an American ship as in the book.

CB

Will Hunt 07 Nov 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Just looked at the original thread and saw no mention of True Grit (the Coen brothers version). It gets me every time. I can't not cry when Mattie drives Little Blackie into the river.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...