UKC

Winter trouser recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 icarus82 07 Nov 2021

Does anyone have any recommendations for hardshell winter mountaineering pants that come in a long leg. Something similar to the Mountain Equipment Karakorum pant.

I have some Mountain Equipment G2 pants for when it isn't too wet. 

I'm a small/medium waist (32) and long leg.

Most technical trousers don't come in a long leg as the leg increases with the waist but since I'm skinny and tall this doesn't work for me.

Cheers

In reply to icarus82:

These are good, come in a long leg, and don’t brake the bank.

https://alpkit.com/products/nautilus-mens

Becky E 08 Nov 2021
In reply to icarus82:

Try getting some made to measure from Cioch http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/introduction/welcome.html

They use the same fabric Paramo, so they aren't lightweight but are a multipurpose trouser that works for dry & wet days (ie no fighting with waterproof trousers).

Post edited at 12:26
 PaulJepson 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Becky E:

And as a bonus, you have 'tit' written all over you. 

Jon Read 08 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I generously thought you were being humorous and that the trousers came with some printing on it that included that word. But, I was wrong. 

Why make that comment?

PaulJepson 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

That's what Cioch means. 

MarkH55 08 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Every day is a learning day

Jon Read 08 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Gah! Of course. Still, just goes to show....

PaulJepson 08 Nov 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

I'll admit it was a bit of a stretch!

yorkshire_lad2 09 Nov 2021
In reply to icarus82:

If you're interested, the latest (Dec 2021) edition of tgo (I have no connection with tgo other than as a reader) has a review of walking trousers.  May not be what you're looking for (hard shell vs soft shell), but might give you a few ideas.  10 pairs reviewed, both ladies and gents.  Best Buys are (Men's) Rab Torque Pants and Haglofs Women's Rugged Flex Pant.

scotthldr 09 Nov 2021
In reply to icarus82:

Is there a reason you say “something similar to ME Karakorums”?  

Despite my concerns of two weeks ago over the fit of the Karakorum pant, I went back to the shop and tried them on with a pair of B2 boots and with a bit of pulling of straps and tinkering with the zips and fasteners the fit wasn’t as bad. For me being 5ft 10, inside leg 30/31, they are about 1.5” too long for my personal liking when worn with boots, but I can live with that as the pros outweigh that one con, so bought them regardless. Wore them out on the hill end of last week with my Salomon Ultra4 Mids and ME Ibex trousers underneath, in a wind of 40mph causing -12 wind chill, and they preformed fantastically without any issues.

OP icarus82 09 Nov 2021
In reply to scotthldr:

Yeah I like the Karakorum pants but they are too short for my long legs unfortunately

Exile 09 Nov 2021
In reply to icarus82:

When did you last try the Karakorum pants on? I am 32 waist long leg normally and found the pair I got last season fit well. If you haven't tried them for a while they may have changed sizing since.

scotthldr 09 Nov 2021
In reply to icarus82:

Obviously I don’t know your inside leg measurement or indeed your personal preferences, but based on mine I would say anyone with a 33 inch leg then these would fit perfectly, even a 34 inch leg you could just wear them slightly lower round the upper waist area. 

In reply to scotthldr:

Are your karakorums medium or large?

scotthldr 09 Nov 2021
In reply to icarus82:

Mine are XL, I'm a fat b'

Andy Hardy 10 Nov 2021
In reply to icarus82:

> Most technical trousers don't come in a long leg as the leg increases with the waist but since I'm skinny and tall this doesn't work for me.

You need to bulk up for winter, forget the gym, get a season ticket to Greggs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...