UKC

Winter tights/leggings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyroo 11 Nov 2021

Hi folks

Looking for recommendations for a good pair of winter legging/tights for the hills.

I've previously worn The North Face Aurora tights which were great but unfortunately no longer available.

I don't like wearing more traditional style trousers on the hill, with their seams and often slightly reduced stretch/flexibility - preferring a more simple pair of leggings/trousers with a plain elasticated waist and plenty of stretch.

The TNF Aurora tights fitted the bill perfectly - no zips/pockets, just a good robust pair of thick-ish tights which were very comfortable and warm - and when conditions were bad could be topped with a pair of salopettes. I've worn a few pairs of Auroras over the years in all Scottish winter weather conditions and also on overseas expeditions to snowy peaks above 20,000ft - but the leggings are now getting very threadbare and so I'm on the lookout for some good replacements.

All recommendations gratefully received!

Cheers.

Andy

mrphilipoldham 11 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

My in laws bought me a pair of Decathlon's own brand (forget it's name, and despite them sitting in a drawer about 6ft away you'll have to do the Googling, I'm sure they begin with 'K'.. it would have been quicker to get them out and look than type all this!) primarily for running, but I think they might fit the bill. They have a slightly fleecy type lining and are warm and cozy. Love them for running. Bonus is they're probably considerably cheaper than TNF so you won't mind if you stick a crampon through them. 

nniff 11 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

These:

www.decathlon.co.uk/p/kalenji-warm-men-s-running-tights-black/_/R-p-145884?mc=8394836&c=BLACK

Been using them for years.  The more expensive ones have zipped pockets at the back which argue with rucksacks

nniff 11 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

See - great minds think alike!

Dave the Rave 11 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

Fjallraven Abisko trekking tights. £150 mind.

mrphilipoldham 11 Nov 2021
In reply to nniff:

Yep them's the ones! I didn't realise they were made from recycled polyester, so that's another bonus.

TechnoJim 11 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

I wear a pair of Rab Flux in winter, underneath my shell trousers. Nice and toasty, and stretchy. 

Not sure what they're like for running in as I strongly believe that running is an evil practice that I will only engage in under extreme duress.

OP andyroo 11 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

Many thanks for all your replies and thoughts/recommendations - much appreciated.

DaveHK 12 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

I've found these to be excellent: https://rab.equipment/uk/power-stretch-pro-pants

Warm and they feel surprisingly wind resistant.

They also come in a bib which is good in colder conditions.

Post edited at 07:22
 robert-hutton 12 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

Using some Montane tights, they have double panels of materials with the front of legs having a wind stopping material, nice and warm for winter and well made 

PaulJepson 12 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

I remember speaking to a guide who swore by primark women's fleecey leggings. He always wore hardshells on top though. 

Sealwife 12 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I’d absolutely agree.  

Used to be a fan of Rab Powerstretch leggings but discovered the Primark warm fleece lined leggings last year.

They are amazing- really warm, incredibly stretchy, very comfy and about a tenner a pair.

They don’t look any different from any other thick black leggings when worn.

Wingnut 12 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

Got my current pair of thick black leggings from the "middle aisle of random" in Aldi.

blackcat 12 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

Another vote fof rab power stretch cost £75 but worth it,if its not too cold i have atcteryx baselayer.

ScraggyGoat 12 Nov 2021
In reply to blackcat:

Montane power stretch pants cheaper than Rab and don’t come unstitched at the seams.  But must look at the primark….

personally use for wet autumnal condition when I might put them under a shell.  When proper cold and wintry I use paramo aspira salopettes.

Post edited at 22:06
In reply to andyroo:

It sounds like you might have more experience than me, but I just go with a pair of merino leggings under a pair of Montane waterproof trousers. Served me well up to 5,400m

lanky 13 Nov 2021
In reply to nniff:

Hi, 

Im going to order some of the decathlon leggings. What is the sizing like? I normally find decathlon pretty small. Thanks

nniff 15 Nov 2021
In reply to lanky:

Euro sizes but accurate to their given dimensions.  At 6ft, 32/34 in Levis and 11.5 stone with a climbers build, I'm a large

lanky 15 Nov 2021
In reply to nniff:

Great thanks for that 

LastBoyScout 16 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

Back in the day, I used to wear 2 pairs of Ron Hill Trackster Flash when it got cold! Do they still do the thicker Trackster Trek ones?

I agree with you about a lot of usual walking trousers not being the best for movement, so I'm still hanging on to my ancient MH pack pants - with a pair of thermals under them in winter.

climbingup 16 Nov 2021
In reply to andyroo:

I was also bummed the North Face Aurora's were discontinued. BLEH!

bouldery bits 16 Nov 2021
In reply to climbingup:

Ronhills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...