UKC

Easy access alpine ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 topee 18 Nov 2021

Looking for alpine ice with easy short walk in’s and easy descents, Abbing  is fine. Near to town and skiing would be an added bonus.

Darron 18 Nov 2021
In reply to topee:

Ceillac

Fits your brief perfectly.

SiWood 18 Nov 2021
In reply to topee:

Kandersteg, Chamonix, Cogne, (Rjukan), La Grave are the ones that come to mind.

Not been but also Zinal and Arolla.

OP topee 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Darron:

Thanks Darron, looks spot on.

OP topee 18 Nov 2021
In reply to SiWood:

Thanks for your response, need to do more research now. Have been to Rjukan, Cogne and La Grave, will check out the others.

thanks.

Webster 18 Nov 2021
In reply to topee:

rive gauche in chamonix if the lifts are running this winter. you still need skis on to get there (no foot passengers on the gondola in winter) but its only about a 5 minute ski over to the absail point to start

OP topee 19 Nov 2021
In reply to Webster:

Thanks Webster. Will have a search.

In reply to topee:

As said above Ceillac is perfect but also you have Fournel, Freissinieres and  Cervieres in driving distance - https://ice-climbing-ecrins.com/?lang=en should have bit more info on it.

OP topee 19 Nov 2021
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks Ecrincollective. Looks as though I have my 2022 winter trip destination.

cragtyke 19 Nov 2021
In reply to tope https://www.climbers-paradise.com/en/climbing-disciplines/ice-climbing/

This should give you an idea of the routes in the Tirol Austria.Topos photos are shown under Topography

Plenty more areas in the east as well. See the eiskletternfuhrer (guidebooks) on the alpinverlag website. I'd say about 75% of the routes have approaches under 30mins.

The current COVID situation in Austria may cause problems this winter though.

Post edited at 16:47
OP topee 19 Nov 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

Thanks cragtyke. Getting spoilt for choice now. Looks like I am sorted for the next couple years. Fingers crossed re Covid!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...