UKC

Would you choose any of these ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nwclimber 25 Nov 2021

I'll be requesting a new rope for Christmas, one suitable for sport and trad but not winter, Alps, etc.

I'd appreciate comments on my shortlist regarding, handling, durability, etc.

Mammut Crag Classic

Mammut Infinity

Beal Karma

Fixe IO

Many thanks for your input.

CantClimbTom 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

I've had quite a few ropes both dynamic and static over the years but the best handling ones I've had were Edelweiss (to my surprise!) and of course good old Mammut. 

Mammut crag classic 9.5 replaced infinity (any infinity for sale must be getting old now?) and some people say it handles marginally better. Go for crag classic

Post edited at 06:57
 C Witter 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

I've had the Karma and the Infinity: both good ropes, but I've found the Mammut rope more durable. However, CantClimbTom's point about the Infinity being old stock is worth considering, so I come to the same conclusion: if you can get a good price, go for the Crag Classic.

The Fixe may be worth trying if it's cheaper. The stats look like it will be a bit less durable than the Mammut.

misterb 26 Nov 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Edelrid python might be worth looking at 

I've had a few and they are durable and handle better than the karma which I also have used 

Just bought an edelrid parrot which is very slick but not used it much so can't comment on durability

Fraser 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

I'd not get any of those on your list. My last 4 or 5 ropes have all been from Decathlon. This one handles very well and is long lasting:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-rope-9-5-mm-x-60-m-cliff-green/_/R-p...

I also have 2 of their skinny triple-rated 8.9mm ropes (surprisingly durable and handles really nicely) and one of their thicker 10mm versions which are all very good and would offer you best value for money IMO.

Post edited at 07:41
 CantClimbTom 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Fraser:

That's a very good point!

I think??? Decathlon climbing ropes are made by Cousin (https://www.cousin-trestec.com/en/categorie-produit/sport-en/) and are very respectable ropes.

Maybe the choice is head to head between Mammut crag classic 9.5 where 60m is £96 https://www.dicksclimbing.com/products/mammut-95-crag-classic?variant=32054...

Or Decathlon Cliff 9.5 where 60m is £85 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-rope-9-5-mm-x-60-m-cliff-green/_/R-p...

Both have a dry option for a little more, which I like as it improves handling and durability

Post edited at 07:58
 MischaHY 26 Nov 2021
In reply to C Witter:

>  CantClimbTom's point about the Infinity being old stock is worth considering, so I come to the same conclusion: if you can get a good price, go for the Crag Classic.

The ropes are exactly the same, Mammut just rebranded them. The rep told us this at work when the change was made and at least had the decency to look embarassed about it. Any perceived improvements are imaginary unfortunately. The power of marketing! 

C Witter 26 Nov 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

I imagine the point still stands though: anything being sold as an "Infinity" is older stock? Anyway: the infinity is/was a good workhorse rope.

Iamgregp 26 Nov 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Weird, I had an Edelweiss (can't remember which) which I bought as my first sport rope and it was awful so bad that I replaced it after a couple of years even though it's still fine. 

Just a horrible feeling rope, but this may have been exacerbated by me not uncoiling the factory roll properly when I first took it out the packet (didn't know better, not a mistake you make twice!).

I know it's not on OPs list, but I replaced it with a Petzl contact which handles lovely....

HeMa 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

For what it’s worth, I have had numerous ropes over the years. The ropes have been from pretty much every big European brand, both cheap and expensive.

The handling characterics and robustness have varied greatly, and do not always correlate with the price. So nowadays, I just buy cheapo ~9.5mm ropes. Last have been Bergfreunde editions from Edelweiss. They seem to last about two season, which is actually more than the fancy high perf ropes. Might even get a there season out of them, for some mixed climbing or for cleaning new routes etc.

Carless 26 Nov 2021

> I think??? Decathlon climbing ropes are made by Cousin (https://www.cousin-trestec.com/en/categorie-produit/sport-en/) and are very respectable ropes.

Decathlon's ropes are all Simond these days

Rob Exile Ward 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Carless:

I have a Decathlon single sport rope from 3 years ago; it's rubbish,  the 'feel' of the rope and the looseness of the sheath is variable along the entire length.

I recently bought another sport rope, which at the moment I'm equally unhappy about, but as I'm currently in discussion with the importer it would be unfair to name names.

Ian Parsons 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Carless:

> Decathlon's ropes are all Simond these days

But has Simond actually become a rope manufacturer - as opposed to a rope brand? They always made hardware and that's what their website suggests they still do in their factory at Les Houches; no mention of actually manufacturing ropes there, though.

Marmolata 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

I bought a second Mammut Infinity hen they were on discount due to the rebranding. I have now both a 40m and an 80m in the Protect variety. Super nice handling! 

Carless 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Good question

I've always liked Simond hardware but am not convinced about their ropes. I've never owned one but have used friends

CantClimbTom 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> But has Simond actually become a rope manufacturer - as opposed to a rope brand? They always made hardware and that's what their website suggests they still do in their factory at Les Houches; no mention of actually manufacturing ropes there, though.

In reply to Carless:

> Decathlon's ropes are all Simond these days

As far as I know... Simond ropes are made by Cousin Trestec. here's a link that also believes this, although it could be that both of us are wrong

http://onhighhills.blogspot.com/2020/09/gear-review-simond-edge-89mm-triple...

Post edited at 15:47
 stewart murray 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

If that’s the £70 Fixe from Rock and Run then at that price you can’t go far wrong. I bought a Fixe Fanatic 1/2 rope from them recently. I’ve not used it heavily and can’t comment on durability, but it handles well.

Ian Parsons 26 Nov 2021

> As far as I know... Simond ropes are made by Cousin Trestec. here's a link that also believes this, although it could be that both of us are wrong

Yes - that's rather what I intended to imply; that as Simond brand ropes appear to be manufactured by another company your original suggestion of Cousin is quite likely. You don't seem to see much of the Cousin label these days which suggests that they might well be doing much of their manufacturing for other brands. I seem to remember that back in the 1970s they manufactured Interalp ropes - quite a large brand at the time - when the name Cousin was virtually unknown.

wbo2 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: not really,  and you've demonstrated crispness is available at all price points.

Also hated my edelweiss,  terrible handling.   My edelrid is the exact opposite.   60 or 70m? 

Trythallj 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Was it bright pink by any chance? If it was, please dm me. If not, please ignore. Not my rope, but I thought there was a real safety problem with it.

John

Fraser 26 Nov 2021

Either you've been unlucky or I've been lucky! None of my Decathlon ropes have displayed such characteristics, the 8.9mm ones in particular have shown very little wear despite lots of abuse over the several years I've owned them. 

As you've said you have the same issue with a rope from another manufacturer, could the source of the issue lie.... 'somewhere else'?

OP nwclimber 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

Wow! I hadn't expected such a response. Many thanks to everyone who has offered their opinion.

BuzyG 26 Nov 2021
In reply to nwclimber:

If you can find one. A Mammut Galaxy, would be perfect for your needs.  They are just so sweet to handle.  But I just quickly Googled and a think they are no longer available.

Post edited at 17:38
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Fraser:

Yes it could! But these are something like the 14th/15th ropes I've bought, without any issues, so...

The Simond really is poor, anytime you're visiting Kendal wall give me a shout and I'll show you, see what you think.

Fraser 29 Nov 2021

Hah, no it's fine, I believe you! It's always interesting to hear how some ropes from the same manufacturer can give people very different experiences. The only one I've not really had much use of is their 30m static which has only had a few outings. I think it's a 10 or 10.5mm but so far still seems to handle quite nicely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...