UKC

Waterproof mobile phone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 26 Nov 2021

Any tips for a hill proof mobile? 

deepsoup 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I bought an Ulefone 'Armor 8' last year (for about £130 new via ebay) and would happily recommend one of those based on my experience.

I was thinking about making it my regular phone, but it's a bit more bulky than I want in my pocket routinely.  Couldn't be arsed swapping SIMs about, so now it's a spare phone with it's own PAYG SIM in it.  (1p mobile)

girlymonkey 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I also use an Ulefone. Mine is my daily phone. It is heavy and big but copes with all of life's knocks and soakings!

Marek 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Boring, I know, but I use a Ulefone (Armor 7X) without a sim card as just a small, rugged, portable computer. A bit heavier than most phones, but the battery last for ages.

Garethza 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

You get bags/cases that can make your phone waterproof - no need for a specific phone

Marek 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Garethza:

> You get bags/cases that can make your phone waterproof - no need for a specific phone

Been there, done that, squinted through the hazy plastic - too many times. Given that you can get a waterproof phone for little more than £100, why would you bother?

To the OP's original question - I'd guess something like 30% of phones available today have some degree of waterproofing, so the answer to your question really depends on "what other features do you want?" Cost? Battery capacity? Screen resolution? Pose value?

echo34 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

iPhone

MikeR 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Marek:

I also have a Ulefone Armor 7. It is bulky and heavy, but certainly rugged, and I can vouch for its waterproofness having forgotten it was in my pocket once and sending for a spin in the washing machine! Came out shiny clean and working fine.

Post edited at 20:16
 AlanLittle 26 Nov 2021
In reply to echo34:

Me too. IPX68 rated, and I've had mine in the outside pocket of my jacket in heavy rain for hours with no problems. I keep it in a shock-resistant case to protect the screen and the camera lenses, but I have no real worries about weather resistance.

In reply to Pete Pozman:

Get a cheap PAYG (under £20) phone with big buttons and put it in a dry bag. Keep it switched off till you need it.

Post edited at 21:44
 Neil Williams 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

iPhones up to X/XR/SE are IP67, later than that (11 and up) are IP68.  The difference between the generations (give or take the 7) is because traditional headphone sockets are a big vulnerability and the later phones don't have them.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/01/05/how-to-know-if-your-iphone-is-wa...

Very few phones are actually waterproof unless you put them in a sealed bag as mentioned, but the later iPhones should be pretty good.  I did however damage (not completely knacker, but it behaved oddly in some ways afterwards, e.g. flaky sound and didn't quite charge properly) a 7 on Lakes in a Day in 2018, but that was the year it was called "a day in a lake" by some, 20 hours of being very wet would challenge anything.

Post edited at 21:57
 Andypeak 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

CAT do a range of phones. Not particularly advanced by modern smart phone standards (unless they have updated the range) but certainly functional for everything you want on the hill and very rugged. Mine is 3 years old and the battery still last 3 days of normal everyday use. It'll last a weeks plus on the hill in flight mode. It's waterproof, dust proof and has been dropped numerous times with no issues. Camera is a bit rubbish though. 

Dave Cundy 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I had a six year old Sony M4 Aqua,  until i bust the screen a few months ago. I accidentally tested it one night when i was having a bath -  fortunately, the music kept on playing!

The only downside to the waterproofness was in the shielding over the earpiece.  I often struggled to hear people when talking on the phone to them. 

Graeme G 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Dave Cundy:

> I often struggled to hear people when talking on the phone to them. 

You use your phone as a phone? That’s novel.

Root1 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I have a Cat S 42. rugged phone. Its a Basic phone but excellent on the hill. I bought it in preference to the Landrover phone ( specifically designed as an outdoor phone) as the battery was much better. The landrover is basically a modified  cat phone. Its great in the wet and cold and doesnt need a case. Battery dropped 5% on a recent trip up Cross Fell on a cold day with it switched to Airplane Mode 

Ben Callard 27 Nov 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

My Samsung galaxy s21 went for a trip down a stream for a few meters and was totally fine, it just said not to charge it while there was moisture in the charge port (it has a sensor that tells you when it's wet).

Jamie Wakeham 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Pixels are IP68 from 4 onwards.

Dave the Rave 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I phone SE. It fell out of my pocket into the dogs water bowl last night. I plucked it out, dried it and it was still going. Wouldn’t take charge as it said water detected in the socket. I switched it off, slept with it and it’s fine today. No longer need 3 days in a bag of rice and a lot of luck 

m0ff 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I use an iPhone 12 Mini.  I don't spend much time in the hills in wet weather, but I've used it in some really appalling conditions at sea - it spent a full day being used for nav in a force 7 with big seas and a fair bit of rain without a hitch.  It has really impressed me.

CantClimbTom 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I wish I'd seen this thread ages ago, this is exactly the phone I need! I could just put it in a plastic sandwich box or mini pelicase and not worry too much

Post edited at 16:17
 Dax H 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I would avoid Ulphone and black view. I got fed up of the lads at work breaking phones so I got them these. Out of 10 of each roughly 50% either didn't work from day 1 or packed in within 6 months. 

OP Pete Pozman 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Many thanks for all your helpful comments/advice.

Shane1990 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I have the Land Rover. It is alright, does a job. Certainly robust. But it is very basic and i dare say the CAT/alternatives do the same job for less.

The camera is like taking a photo with a toaster.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...