UKC

Magistrates Court Appearance - The Verdict

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 27 Nov 2021

The last thread got archived for length before I had a chance to update everyone.

Court was running a couple of hours late which heightened the tension and allowed for some rumination  got some unrelated but worrying news earlier today which heightened my emotions ssomewhat I was definitely one of the best dressed in there today, though several were clearly wearing ttheir Sunday baseball caps and trainers.

I asked to see the prosecutor beforehand, but the jovial usher told me it was too busy unfortunately

Eventually I was ushered into the court and to the dock and was subsequently signed by the Clerk to take my hands out of my pockets.

Two magistrates were present, one clean cut gentleman who could hhave been a hHeadteacher in an independent school while the Chair was classic middle aged Tory totty.

The prosecutor stated the case against me. I then proceeded to go full Kyle Rittenhouse to my great surprise, I'll put this down to my heightened emotional sstart combined with a reliving of what was quite a traumatic ideal. Pulling myself swiftly together I made my case for mitigation with the help of some documentary evidence which included a signed statement from our community midwife summarising the medical aspects. I apologised for my actions but made clear it was a conscious decision in light of what I considered a medical emergency.

Upon the conclusion of my deposition, the prosecution moved swiftly to state that the prosecution of this case was not in the public interest and that they wished to drop it. The Clerk advised that that the circumstances would fulfill the four criteria for Special Reasons and it would likely have gone my way in a defence invoking such.

The Magistrates were in unanimous agreement and bid me freedom and thus I left the court with my head held high and a feeling that justice had indeed been served this very day.

Thanks for all the good wishes. I would now like to offer Mutt the floor to comment on the case from the press gallery...

Post edited at 17:51
 lithos 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Removed User:

whoop   great news - shame it couldn't have been sorted earlier without all the stress to you and the time and effort for all, but justice was done

wintertree 27 Nov 2021

> I then proceeded to go full Kyle Rittenhouse

The immediate mental image I had reading this was of a scruffy academic and an assault rifle…

Good work.  Its great that you can move on in the best possible way.

Jamie Wakeham 27 Nov 2021

Good work. That's the outcome I'd expected and hoped for.

How silly that it had to go all the way to the court.  The fact that the prosecutor (and not the magistrates) dropped it as soon as they understood the circumstances rather justified your decision to ask for a hearing.

Post edited at 18:00
 deepsoup 27 Nov 2021

Great stuff, congratulations.  I hope the worries caused by the worrying news turn out to be unfounded.  Best of luck.

Andy Hardy 27 Nov 2021

TFFT!

rj_townsend 27 Nov 2021

Excellent - that sounds like a good result, both for you and justice in general. My understanding of magistrates is that they're normally sensible, pragmatic and fair, and would have found in your favour given the circumstances, had the prosecution chosen to continue with the case.

Jackspratt 27 Nov 2021

Did you just refer to a magistrate as totty? have a look at yourself mate, its 2021 you'll be referring to women as a lovely bit of crumpet next. Keep it up and you'll be running the BMC.

Dax H 27 Nov 2021

Excellent verdict. Good to see common sense at play. 

elsewhere 27 Nov 2021

Congratulations on the result (and again on the birth).

Chris M 27 Nov 2021
In reply to you:

It's made my evening reading this. Congratulations.

Post edited at 18:55
 Xavierpercy 27 Nov 2021

Well done. It sounded like you had a decent case.

PaulW 27 Nov 2021

Great to see the system works. Have fun bringing up your infant.

MG 27 Nov 2021

Good to hear. 

Strikes me the prosecution could have saved everyone time money and hassle for everyone by speaking to you beforehand!

rogerwebb 27 Nov 2021

Good result. Very good prosecutor. 

Removed User 27 Nov 2021
In reply to rogerwebb:

Female for interest's sake, might have gone in my favour.

Tony Buckley 27 Nov 2021

Justice done, and seen to be done.  Well done!

T.

rogerwebb 27 Nov 2021
In reply to MG:

> Good to hear. 

> Strikes me the prosecution could have saved everyone time money and hassle for everyone by speaking to you beforehand!

You are being a bit hard on the prosecutor in court.

They will have been extremely busy probably saw the cases for the first time that morning, maybe the night before. The prosecution is playing permanent catch up and on the day of court really will have little time. Many will want to speak to them, most will not have anywhere near the mitigation in this case. 

The right decision was reached by a decent person doing their job very well. It is not everyone who will bin stuff so promptly, the safe way is to let the bench decide. 

Edited for brevity! 

Post edited at 20:03
 BusyLizzie 27 Nov 2021

Fantastic news!!

MG 27 Nov 2021
In reply to rogerwebb:

Fair enough.  I was meaning engaging earlier with the case rather than on the day.  I have no idea how these things work though, beyond various news articles about evidence not being shared when it should be causing cases to collapse wrongly.  This sounds a little like the reverse.

Ger_the_gog 27 Nov 2021

Spot-on. I'm pleased it went well. 

If I were you I'd now put it all behind me, especially the folk who were very negative about your case. Everyone has their own issues and there's nothing to gain there.

All the best.

Stichtplate 27 Nov 2021

Congratulations!

And looking at the up down votes, it appears that you’ve also won UKC 2021.

In reply to MG:

> Strikes me the prosecution could have saved everyone time money and hassle for everyone by...

... dropping the case long before it got anywhere near court, having considered the submitted evidence.

The only sensible result has been achieved, at least. Good job.

Ridge 27 Nov 2021
In reply to MG:

> Strikes me the prosecution could have saved everyone time money and hassle for everyone by speaking to you beforehand!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the prosecutor at a magistrates court has a huge, snaking line of 'Freemen of the land’ wanting to spend 5 hours each spouting total bollocks they've seen on YouTube as to why the law doesn't exist in the first place, and people who are able to present a coherent argument are rarer than unicorn farts.

Neil Williams 27 Nov 2021

Great news, better outcome than expected!

Timmd 27 Nov 2021
In reply to Ridge: Those 'freemen of the land' are quite brow furrowing, can seem to be able to talk forever in any videos I've seen.

Post edited at 00:01
 Wire Shark 28 Nov 2021
In reply to lithos:

> whoop   great news - shame it couldn't have been sorted earlier without all the stress to you and the time and effort for all, but justice was done

The stress was all self imposed FFS!  Any normal, less self centered person, would have simply coughed up the small fine and moved on with their lives.  Talk about first world problems.  Still, he got lots of likes and a whole new set of fanboys, so job's a good-un.  Can't wait for the movie.

Post edited at 02:19
 Dax H 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> Those 'freemen of the land' are quite brow furrowing, can seem to be able to talk forever in any videos I've seen.

I saw one video of one who was spouting off the usual rubbish to the police and a court appointed balif about none payment of something who was claiming benefits. When the balif said if you don't pay it will be deducted from your benefits the guy changed tack and started explaining why he was entitled to them. 

gethin_allen 28 Nov 2021

At the end of the whole ordeal you now have the basis of an excellent anecdote for a future wedding speech of things go that way in the future.

Axel Smeets 28 Nov 2021

Been looking forward to this all week! Pleased for you  

Tom Valentine 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Jackspratt:

Got to admit I was pondering a situation where the prosecution had gone ahead and where the magistrate had overheard  herself being referred to as such by the defendant. ......

Stichtplate 28 Nov 2021

Can this not be moved to the pub so I can call an objectionable tit a tit again without it being deleted?

Tyler 28 Nov 2021

Hope you celebrated by doing a load of doughnuts in front of the court before disappearing down the road in a cloud of tyre smoke.  

Ridge 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> Those 'freemen of the land' are quite brow furrowing, can seem to be able to talk forever in any videos I've seen.

This never gets old:

youtube.com/watch?v=MmCcghxgFI0&

wintertree 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

They seem to have left the building.  I wonder if they took all their socks with them?

Offwidth 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Jackspratt:

I will report back on my partner's improving PC language now the presidential term has finished. Makes a change from the accusations of the BMC being too woke I guess.

Glad the nonsense has ended Hardonicus.

Kemics 28 Nov 2021

Congrats, nice to know the system works and justice doesn't require you to spend loads of money on a lawyer!

I'm sure your detractors will be right in the long run though, only a matter of time now till the bodies start piling up at the road side as your madmax rampage has gone unpunished

Alkis 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Wire Shark:

Considering that the prosecution, the clerk, and the magistrates agreed with what was apparently the majority here and disagreed with you and mutt, should you perhaps consider that your assessment of the situation might be, you know, wrong?

Stichtplate 28 Nov 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> They seem to have left the building.  I wonder if they took all their socks with them?

I was just thinking some poor bugger has to live next door to that (I very much doubt anyone lives in even closer proximity).

Post edited at 11:38
 Stichtplate 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Alkis:

> Considering that the prosecution, the clerk, and the magistrates agreed with what was apparently the majority here and disagreed with you and mutt, should you perhaps consider that your assessment of the situation might be, you know, wrong?

There was a third poster in agreement with the other two, forgotten his name but the profile picture screamed "Aspirant Serial Killer"

deepsoup 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Alkis:

You probably missed Wire Shark's (now deleted) companion piece to that post of his in the early hours this morning, which was a rather more direct & vitriolic attack on the OP than the post that's still here.  Suffice to say he definitely wasn't willing to consider that he might have been wrong when he wrote that. 

Also, it having been written at 2am ish on a Saturday night/Sunday morning, you could probably be forgiven for assuming he was a little over-refreshed at the time and that he's a mean drunk.

wintertree 28 Nov 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> You probably missed Wire Shark's (now deleted) companion piece to that post of his in the early hours this morning, which was a rather more direct & vitriolic attack on the OP than the post that's still here. 

I'd give good odds that "Wire Shark" was also behind a couple of the new accounts that signed up to throw vitriol over the last few weeks.  I expect we're going to see some more soon.

deepsoup 28 Nov 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Not taking that bet!  Sadly I think you're almost certainly right. 
(And this is why we can't have nice things.)

Stichtplate 28 Nov 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> Also, it having been written at 2am ish on a Saturday night/Sunday morning, you could probably be forgiven for assuming he was a little over-refreshed at the time and that he's a mean drunk.

I absolutely refute that unfounded assumption. People are entirely capable of being mean minded, vinegary old sods without recourse to alcohol.

I was stone cold sober when writing my now deleted early hours reply to Snark, where I called him a Tit (I had just come off shift, though admittedly I had just mixed myself a large Negroni).

deepsoup 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

> I absolutely refute that unfounded assumption.

More just a sort of speculation than assumption, but if I had made that assumption you would probably forgive me for it right?

> People are entirely capable of being mean minded..

You're right of course. 
FWIW, I tend to believe in "in vino veritas", that mean drunks and happy drunks are often as not mean and happy people showing their true colours while their inhibitions are lowered.

Funnily enough I had just come in from work a bit after 3am this morning too and was also stone cold sober, but had a little glass of whisky in my hand.

When a post crosses the line as clearly as that one did it's probably better just to hit the 'report' button to let the mods know about it without bothering to reply.  They don't have time to read everything on here (especially at stupid o clock in the morning) so only know to zap something like that if somebody actually tells them about it.

Stichtplate 28 Nov 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> More just a sort of speculation than assumption, but if I had made that assumption you would probably forgive me for it right?

Absolutely

> You're right of course. 

Like a stopped clock

> FWIW, I tend to believe in "in vino veritas", that mean drunks and happy drunks are often as not mean and happy people showing their true colours while their inhibitions are lowered.

I'm a happy drunk (rare occasions, honest) but a right grumpy old git when hungry. Not quite sure what indicates about me but probably goes some way to explaining why my clothes are very gradually shrinking.

> Funnily enough I had just come in from work a bit after 3am this morning too and was also stone cold sober, but had a little glass of whisky in my hand.

Cheers!

> When a post crosses the line as clearly as that one did it's probably better just to hit the 'report' button to let the mods know about it without bothering to reply.  They don't have time to read everything on here (especially at stupid o clock in the morning) so only know to zap something like that if somebody actually tells them about it.

Aaah, I dunno. As the past couple of covid years have amply proven, UKC is pretty good at policing itself via retort rather than report.

David Alcock 28 Nov 2021

Ah, nice one. Put a smile on my face this afternoon.

PS. Hands up who has had to speed to get to a speed awareness course on time? 

Ger_the_gog 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Wire Shark:

I feel your pain, buddy. 

Call me a snowflake or whatever if you want to, that's ok. Alternatively, my messages/email are open if you want a chat. (Genuine offer.)

All the best.

deepsoup 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

> I'm a happy drunk (rare occasions, honest) but a right grumpy old git when hungry.

It's been a while but I'm neither - mostly a melancholy drunk I think.  And oh god yes, me too!  That hasn't changed since I was a grumpy young git.

> Cheers!

> Aaah, I dunno. As the past couple of covid years have amply proven, UKC is pretty good at policing itself via retort rather than report.

True enough for mis/disinformation, thanks to those who have actually harnessed the power of relentless indefatigable UKC pedantry for good.  (Who would have thought that was possible just a  few short years ago!)

In the case of vicious trolls just looking for attention though, I think an angry reply telling them exactly what you think of them is probably exactly what they're looking for and a win from their point of view.

I think Tony Buckley nailed it in the other thread:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/magistrates_court_appearance-74...

Mark Kemball 28 Nov 2021
In reply to David Alcock:

> PS. Hands up who has had to speed to get to a speed awareness course on time? 

One of the few advantages of the pandemic was being able to take a speed awareness course via “zoom”. 

Pedro50 28 Nov 2021
In reply to David Alcock:

> PS. Hands up who has had to speed to get to a speed awareness course on time? 

I know someone who got booked on the way home from one.

Removed User 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

Aw man I missed the post. Was it juicy?!

Stichtplate 28 Nov 2021

> Aw man I missed the post. Was it juicy?!

It was his typical handbag clutching vitriol, but with a bit of name calling chucked in.

However, my repost was magnificent. The pathos of a Hamlet soliloquy, the pithy humour of Dorothy Parker combined with the delivery of Les Dawson.

Alas, lost to history forever, crushed beneath the boot heals of the philistinism of The Mods🥲

Hooo 28 Nov 2021
In reply to wintertree:

I'll take your bet. I reckon you're wrong this time. It's a different style, and the username is relevant to the profile, rather than random. My bet, solely based on the slim evidence of the username and a couple of posts (and I saw the deleted one), is that Wire Shark is a genuine user, and he works in IT. I have to deal with these types, and I've seen the same attitude so many times whenever they get behind a keyboard. Arrogant and pompous and utterly convinced of their position, intelligent, but unable to accept anything that doesn't fit into their box and totally devoid of social skills. When I actually meet one face to face they can actually be reasonable to deal with, but back behind a keyboard they revert to type. (Pun intended!)

mountainbagger 28 Nov 2021
In reply to Hooo:

You mean like this guy...

"Yeah well I went down there the first day it opened right, and I did a couple of laps, I pulled over, the bloke that runs the thing comes over and said - Oi no professionals. I took my helmet off, I said I'm not a professional. He said - you're not a professional? I said - No, he said - well you should be, if I was you I'd take up Formula One, and if you drive like that you'd probably be the best in the country! I said - I'm not interested I'm making sh*t loads out of computers."

hang_about 28 Nov 2021

And there I was baking  a cake with a file in it. Congrats again on the new sprog and glad this irritation is out of the way for you.

George Ormerod 28 Nov 2021

Nice one.  The quote the Dead Kennedys: You fought the law and you won.

Timmd 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Ridge:

It's the guy who talked about himself 'travelling' rather than 'driving' I was thinking about, I can almost hear my Mum telling him to stop being so silly.

Duncan Bourne 29 Nov 2021

Well done. Glad they let you off

chris_r 29 Nov 2021

Congratulations. Reassuring to see the courts making the right decision.

Does this mean we need to stand down the crack team of climbers who were ready to scale the prison walls, armed only with hexes on rope?

David Alcock 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> I know someone who got booked on the way home from one.

I imagine that's not uncommon. 

Tom Valentine 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Timmd:

At first I thought Sov Cits were a bit of a joke with their mantra which only a few of them could actually spout out but when you see the number of interactions between them and the police on You Tube , you start to realise why in the US they are considered by many to be a bigger threat to homeland security than radicalised Muslims.

Lankyman 29 Nov 2021
In reply to George Ormerod:

> Nice one.  The quote the Dead Kennedys: You fought the law and you won.

The Clash?

Removed User 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

It certainly was the Clash version going through my head on the drive over to the court!

Post edited at 10:11
 Hooo 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

When the Clash fought the law, the law won. When the Dead Kennedys fought, they won.

Post edited at 10:46
 Cobra_Head 29 Nov 2021

Fight the Power!!

Nice one.

Red Rover 29 Nov 2021

> Aw man I missed the post. Was it juicy?!

It was the usual rubbish about you getting let off because of white privilege and wasting the time of the courts etc.

Lankyman 29 Nov 2021

> It certainly was the Clash version going through my head on the drive over to the court!

Good job it wasn't Tommy Gun?

Timmd 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine: I didn't know that, I've just been struck by their ability to talk for a very long time while caught up on the difference between travelling and driving.

Post edited at 13:42
 George Ormerod 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Hooo:

> When the Clash fought the law, the law won. When the Dead Kennedys fought, they won.

Though the protagonist in the DK version was a murdering KKK cop, so maybe a tad different to Hardonicus. 

Ridge 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> I didn't know that, I've just been struck by their ability to talk for a very long time while caught up on the difference between travelling and driving.

Don't forget the bit about not being a person because all birth certificates belong to the Queen, and because you don't consent to something it can't be a 'proper' law, so doesn't exist, and even if it did because you're not a person it couldn't apply anyway. Or some such bollocks.

Siward 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> How silly that it had to go all the way to the court.  The fact that the prosecutor (and not the magistrates) dropped it as soon as they understood the circumstances rather justified your decision to ask for a hearing.

Which begs the question, had Hardonicus written to the CPS beforehand? Rather inevitable that a court hearing would result if all of the mitigation was a closely guarded secret until the hearing. 

stevevans5 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Siward:

From the other thread:

"I declined to accept the fixed penalty and got a form from the magistrates court with 3 options: plead not guilty, guilty, or guilty with mitigation. I did the latter and supplied the circumstances (hoping it would finalised via paperwork only). I was thereafter summoned to court."

earlsdonwhu 29 Nov 2021

A pity that the whole episode could not have been live streamed for us all to appreciate!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...