UKC

Life and climbing in Paris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Are there any current or ex parisiens in the room? 

I may have an opportunity of a couple of year's work based in Paris. 

So the important stuff first, what is Paris like for climbing, local crags, walls etc. Any recommended clubs or groups? 

Then the dull stuff, life in general, safe areas to live, areas to avoid etc. 

I am a country bumpkin, I haven't lived in a big city for over 30 years. Parts of this opportunity are too good to miss but life must be at least tolerable whilst I am there.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences gratefully welcomed. 

Ramblin dave 29 Nov 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

There's a little bouldering area an hour or so to the South that's meant to be okay. Fountain-something-or-other?

In reply to Ramblin dave:

Yeah, cheers, I had heard a whisper but was asked to keep it secret. It doesn't look like an after work venue though. 

jcw 29 Nov 2021

Yes,, as rambling dave says Bleau. Dont call it Font to Frenchmen.  But that is about all. It's ease of access will depend where you live. If  you have the choice obviously the South side near to the A6. I don't know about walls in Paris as  Bleau makes them redundant. . Apart from Bleau you're going to scratch around a bit. In the old days that didn't stop the enthusiasts doing Cham for a long weekend. Access by train is possible, best Gare de Lyon goes to Nemours, Fontainebleau, etc every half hour but you'll have to be prepared to walk or take your bike to reach the rocks.

Cost of property in central Paris is prohibitive, so too is parking. So you'll probably want to live somewhere in the suburbs.Difficult to say more without knowing your circs . I hope you can speak some French

Post edited at 16:58
In reply to jcw:

Un petite peu.

Work will be in English, which is both good and bad. Accomodation costs covered. If I go for it, I want it to be a good life as well as a good job. 

One really can't exaggerate just how good Fontainebleau is. Overall, it's much better than our own (superb ... I'm an old fan) SE Sandstone. The rock is harder, it's technically superb, and there's just so much of it! And all scattered around in beautiful woodland settings conveniently close to Paris. Warning: after a hard day's bouldering there, doing one or more of the 'circuits', you'll ache like never before....

Because it's a complex area you ideally need to go with someone who knows it well to show you around and point you in the right direction. I was lucky to go two years running with David and Carrie Jones, who were already very familiar with it. So each day they had a different programme already planned out.

PS. I think you need to be climbing at at least English sandstone 5c to get the most out of it.

Post edited at 17:18
 Doug 29 Nov 2021

I worked in central Paris for about 20 years until I retired in 2019. As said, there's some bouldering at 'bleau which is about 30 -40 minutes plus a walk/cycle by train from the Gare du Lyon depending on where you go. There's also some sport climbing  to the north (old quarries). Otherwise it relatively far to crags & hills but OK for a weekend (eg the crags close to Dijon). Several walls which friends used to like but I've never enjoyed indoor walls so rarely went.

I used to climb  (& ski-tour) with the Paris branch of the Club Alpin Français but there are other clubs but helps if you can speak French. Luckily I had good holidays so could get to the Alps & Pyrenees fairly often.

I initially thought I was going to be there for a year & did wonder how I would cope after moving from a village in Strathspey to a flat near the Bastille. But after the culture shock it was OK although I moved out to the suburbs after a while as it was much cheaper, although the commuting was a drag (but cheap compared to similar distances in the UK, think at the end I was paying €75 per month for unlimited travel on bus, métro & local trains within the Ile de France region)

Post edited at 17:10
 Iamgregp 29 Nov 2021

Was over there for a few weeks for work a few years ago, was intending to go to this wall https://www.murmur.fr/salle-escalade-issy-les-moulineaux/ (never actually got round to it because of work).

I got in touch with them to ask if they had any auto belays, which they didn't, but they kindly added me to the whatsapp group that they use to find partners.  Seemed friendly enough!

Carless 29 Nov 2021

Type Paris in the search here https://climbingaway.fr/en/rock-climbing-areas/find-20-rock-climbing-areas-...

Obviously Bleau but also Viaduc des Fauvettes, etc

Nearest bigger crags are Saussois, Parc, etc near Auxerre and Connelles, Val St Martin, etc near Les Andelys but they're approx 2 hour drive

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I am privileged in living far enough away from the capital that I have never climbed on se sandstone. How does bleau compare with St Bees? 

I never climbed at St Bees, though I've walked down there to have a look. I suspect the climbing at Fontainebleau is so different that it's hard to compare.

But don't be rude about SE sandstone - the best, e.g. at High Rocks, is absolutely superb.

Sorry Gordon, I wasn't clear enough. I was being rude about London and silly about St Bees. 

JLS 29 Nov 2021

>”How does bleau compare with St Bees?”

There isn’t a sea view at Bleau but apart from that it would be hard to distinguish one from the other.

Having just said that though, it does now occur to me that St Bees is a bit pish in comparison to Bleau.

> One really can't exaggerate just how good Fontainebleau is. Overall, it's much better than our own (superb ... I'm an old fan) SE Sandstone.

Bloody hell, better than SE Sandstone, steady on!

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Yes, sorry, I was perhaps being a bit rash there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...