UKC

corrour - ben alder loop advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thedougcooper 30 Nov 2021

Hi guys. 

I am planning a trip in january out to ben alder from corrour. 

Initial plan is to go up and over Carn Dearg and on to Sgor Gaibhre, then down the Bealach and across to Benalder cottage. The next few days i plan to spend on Ben alder. then i will head back to corrour via Bealach Cumhann. 

Has any one done a similar route in winter? Im interested in general avalanche risk areas. I know Bealach Dubh has quite a risk for avi.  

Any info or advice would be welcomed. 

Expecting it to be a real slog if the snow is deep, so will pack a tent and a couple of days of extra food. 

girlymonkey 30 Nov 2021
In reply to thedougcooper:

Sock puppet?

Lankyman 02 Dec 2021

Can no-one help this guy? He's setting off in a few weeks into the wilderness and not so much as a 'don't forget to wrap up warm'. I despair, UKC!

DaveHK 02 Dec 2021

>Im interested in general avalanche risk areas.

Other than saying steepish eastish facing slopes there isn't a lot to be said about this that will be of any use to you. It's specific risk rather than general risk you need to worry about and you're only going to be able to assess that by monitoring the conditions/viewing forceasts in the run up to your trip and making your own observations during it.

DaveHK 02 Dec 2021

>I know Bealach Dubh has quite a risk for avi.  

Where's this comimg from? 

Lankyman 02 Dec 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> >I know Bealach Dubh has quite a risk for avi.  

> Where's this comimg from? 

'AVI' is short for avian influenza (bird flu). I have seen ptarmigan on Ben Alder. You can't be too careful out there.

tlouth7 02 Dec 2021

Don't forget that the days are short! Also you probably won't have signal in the cottage so you will be relying on out of date forecasts, bring extra food and fuel in case you get stuck.

If there is windslab on west facing slopes how will you get onto the ridge? If there is windslab on east facing slopes how will you get off?

How confident are you with identifying terrain traps and avalanche slopes?

MG 02 Dec 2021

Did exactly that trip 20 years ago in two winter days.  Really good. *Just* made it back to Corrour on day 2 for the train.

Bob Aitken 02 Dec 2021

Just in case you don't know the notorious history of that area -

https://heavywhalley.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/the-corrour-tragedy-on-29-31-...

Be careful out there ...

Michael Gordon 02 Dec 2021

Another thing to bear in mind is that Ben Alder Cottage is (reputedly) haunted.

Jack Frost 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Yes

OwenM 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Only if you believe in ghosts. 

Dave_Stocks 06 Dec 2021

I was out that way end of October did a big loop from Corrour doing all the Corrour / Ben alder munro's stopping at Ben Alder cottage. The Terrain is pretty mellow getting to the Bothy over Sgor Gaibhre. But I would recommend using fatmaps digital mapping software to gain an idea of any areas you plan on visiting. This has a 3D avalanche tool colouring in slopes depending on the angle of slope. I would personally leave the tent with the idea of moving faster. 

I would also contact Jan at the Corrour YHA her number is 07500158682. Its well worth staying there after you get the train up. 

Michael Gordon 06 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave_Stocks:

> I would personally leave the tent with the idea of moving faster. >

But maybe take a blizzard bag or similar in case of emergencys.

Lankyman 06 Dec 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Sock puppet?

I think the lack of any response is fairly suggestive

tlouth7 06 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave_Stocks:

I would suggest that Jan may not thanking you for posting her number on an open internet forum.

OP thedougcooper 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave_Stocks:

Thanks, I have the fatmaps for the area and have extensively looked at google earth. 

Ive done a bunch of ski touring in AK, so am relatively up to speed with terrain reading on the go. 

OP thedougcooper 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Bob Aitken:

thanks. yes well aware of the risk in any back country trip. 

savage read that one!

extra food and the tent is a pretty good shout. I have already started watching the weather in the area and have planned for 2 extra days previsions. I wont be alone either, 4 of the group have winter ML and i did ski patrol in Canada and AK for a few seasons. 

Lankyman 10 Dec 2021

> Thanks, I have the fatmaps for the area and have extensively looked at google earth. 

> Ive done a bunch of ski touring in AK, so am relatively up to speed with terrain reading on the go. 

Have you been on the Devil's Cock above the Lairigh Ghru?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...