UKC

Winter Wainwright attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I thought that this might make for some interesting dot watching. James Gibson setting off on his winter Wainwrights attempt. 

https://www.theclimbersshopjoebrownblog.co.uk/blog/winter-wainwright-attemp...

r0b 01 Dec 2021
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

As has Tom Hollins, who started an hour earlier!

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/thww21/

Thanks for pointing that out, more interesting dot watching. Will be very impressive if he can get anywhere near 7 days. Weather.is looking reasonable but the cold and having about half the number of daylight hours has got to add considerably to the challenge.

Kalna_kaza 01 Dec 2021
In reply to r0b:

This should be good, it'll be interesting to see if they cross paths at any point.

Good luck to then both.

Ridge 01 Dec 2021

Not sure what's happened to Tom's tracker, doesn't show the outward leg from Keswick to the first summit.

steveriley 01 Dec 2021

Oh crikey, what madness is this? They're about a mile apart as the crow flies!

McHeath 01 Dec 2021

Don't want to be a nitpicker, but doesn't the official winter start in 3 weeks? Not sure which rules apply here... 

blackcat 01 Dec 2021

Winter has started early 😄

McHeath 01 Dec 2021
In reply to r0b:

Thanks!  

ablackett 02 Dec 2021

James has just made a nav error. Going SE rather than S over Whoap towards Lankrigg.

not major so long as he realises soon.

Wainers44 02 Dec 2021
In reply to ablackett:

> James has just made a nav error. Going SE rather than S over Whoap towards Lankrigg.

> not major so long as he realises soon.

Looks back on track now. Not too much extra height climbed.

Harry Jarvis 02 Dec 2021
In reply to thread:

Does anyone know how Tom Hollins' target time compares with his effort from earlier this year? 

steelbru 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Does anyone know how Tom Hollins' target time compares with his effort from earlier this year? 

All completed Wainwright Rounds are listed on this page

http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=records

Tom's time was 6d 17h 33m and from the tracker he started on Wed at 06:00 and aims to finish the following Wed at 05:05 ie a target time of 6d 23h 5m

Harry Jarvis 02 Dec 2021
In reply to steelbru:

Thanks. I should have worked that out for myself - I didn't think to look at his target finish time. '

So he's 'giving' himself 5.5 hours this time, in winter, mostly in the dark ... 

steelbru 02 Dec 2021

Yeah, it seems a tad ambitious - unless of course he had any injuries/problems in his earlier round which he reckons cost him a fair bit, I can't remember if I read a report on that round or not

Nic Barber 02 Dec 2021

is 'summer' round was in pretty horrendous conditions, iirc.

Harry Jarvis 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

> is 'summer' round was in pretty horrendous conditions, iirc.

Yes, the report on Grough refers to the 'unseasonably brutal weather' on his earlier round. Very best of luck to both of them. 

Wainers44 03 Dec 2021

Only about a K apart now. Fantastic effort by both. 

r0b 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

Looks like Tom had a decent length stop overnight but James didn't, so they were basically together on Wetherlam. But now James has stopped at Tilberthwaite and Tom has carried on so he has pulled ahead again.

Wainers44 03 Dec 2021
In reply to r0b:

Weather not too bad at the moment, but pretty shocking wet underfoot.  Heavy rain forecast tonight so a good time to plan a rest!

If I've read it right Tom and James will actually pass each other going in opposite directions some between Calf Crag and Gibson Knott. I'm enjoying the dot watching.

Wainers44 04 Dec 2021

Looks like they are running together now??

In reply to Wainers44:

I don't know, on the last summit (Sallows) there were an hour apart as they have been (give or take) for a lot of the last three days. 

No updates for the last hour or more down in kentmere. 

Mike D 05 Dec 2021

Tom has "decided to call time on his attempt". https://live.opentracking.co.uk/thww21/ He must be gutted but amazing effort. Full respect.

James still going strong by the looks of it. https://live.opentracking.co.uk/jgw2021/

McHeath 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Mike D:

"Due to the yellow warning for Tuesday, James plans to stop at Mungrisedale until the weather has passed." 

Hope it passes quickly. 

Wainers44 08 Dec 2021
In reply to McHeath:

James is moving again. 

Tom the tall 08 Dec 2021
In reply to OneBeardedWalker: James just has the northwest fells to go, should finish tomorrow, possibly under 8 days? Amazing effort in crap conditions mostly.

Michael Hood 08 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom the tall:

I thought the crap conditions was the whole point of a winter round.

Whenever anyone does a winter round (e.g. BG) and the weather's benign, then all that happens is that people carp on about it being no harder than a summer round.

Agree with you about the amazing effort. I don't think most of us mere mortals have any real idea of what it takes to do one of these multi-day ultra challenges; it's just so far outside our experience. We just have to stand back and look on in awe.

Wainers44 08 Dec 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

He's going really well. Not far now, great work!!!

Nic Barber 09 Dec 2021

Just the high spy ridge to go!

Harry Jarvis 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

I was thinking it must have been frustrating to be on Barrow, able to see the lights of Kendal, and know there is still considerable way to go. Outstanding achievement. 

Dark-Cloud 09 Dec 2021

> I was thinking it must have been frustrating to be on Barrow, able to see the lights of Kendal, and know there is still considerable way to go. Outstanding achievement. 

I think you mean Keswick ?

ablackett 09 Dec 2021

It's going to be around 7days 7 hours assuming he doesn't run into a lamp post.

Considering he had an enforced 20hour stop and if we subtract that it puts him at around 6.5 days, which is only half a day slower than Sabrina did it in summer, which is absolutely remarkable given the weather he has had.  Chapeau. 

r0b 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ablackett:

8 days 7 hours isn't it?

Harry Jarvis 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I think you mean Keswick ?

You're right, my mistake. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...