UKC

Covid Catch 22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 02 Dec 2021

Serious issue - a very close relative is working in France. Despite being double jabbed and taking every possible precaution the inevitable happened and she contracted the delta (?) variant; she's getting better now and her 10 days of isolation will soon be up and she's feeling better all the time.

However, she'd like to come home for Christmas, and equally important HAS to come home to see a consultant and have tests for a longstanding other medical condition.

But our understanding is that you have to have a negative PCR test to avoid self quarantine; and having contracted the virus (and recovered), it could be 90 - 180 days before she can get a negative PCR. So that means she won't be able to get back to her job, or even see her consultant, for up to another 6 months.

Does anyone have experience of this situation or have any comment to share?

Yanis Nayu 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

It’s not a given that you’ll test positive within 90 days. Take the test and if it’s positive dispute it with 119. 

mik82 02 Dec 2021

Other countries allow a "certificate of recovery" but as far as I'm aware this isn't a thing in the UK and she would still have to do the PCR and isolate if positive. This also applies if attending for planned medical treatment.

There is an exemption for urgent, unplanned treatment but it doesn't seem like this would be the case for her. This is likely meant for UK residents that become seriously unwell abroad. Anyway this only applies for going to and from the treatment and doesn't exempt from quarantine entirely.

She could perhaps get a PCR done in France before the planned trip to see whether it's likely to be positive when she arrives in the UK.

Ram MkiV 02 Dec 2021

Currently only need a day 2 PCR booked to go from France to UK . Get a test at home one and get someone else who'll def test negative to take the test.

I believe you are allowed to take a formal LFT in that situation. Certainly the Scottish guidance was "if you've had it in the last 90 days an LFT is the preferred method", as its way less sensitive and is only likely to be positive if you currently have covid.

I'm just finished 10 days isolation for the exact same reason... (had it and recovered while on holiday). 

Dave Garnett 03 Dec 2021

I’ve just returned from a trip from the US having recovered from Covid about 6 weeks ago.  I didn’t have any tests either flying out or returning, just showed my vaccine and COVID recovery QR codes.  The Covid recovery pass is good for 90 days from the date of the positive PCR test.

I think the rules are clear, but the complication is that the online Passenger Locator form you need to complete doesn’t allow you you enter the COVID Recovery pass as one of the exemptions from the need to test (the menu just has various exempted occupations.

The system still has few bits that don’t connect properly (like the NHS COVID app that is currently counting down my self-isolation days after pinging me as a contact, even though it knows I’m vaccinated) but you don’t need to provide a test result to enter the country within 90 days of having COVID (unless the rule was changed yesterday).

Update:  I took a PCR test yesterday and I’ve just had a negative result.  However, when I entered the code in the app, it acknowledged that I was negative but says I should continue to self-isolate anyway, despite being triple vaccinated and recently recovered…

Post edited at 06:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...