UKC

GPS Watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 03 Dec 2021

I’ve been thinking about upgrading from my Ambit3 Peak, as the support seems to be drying up, any recommendations for a new GPS watch? My main options are Fenix 6 pro (seems to be on sale a lot at the moment 7 on the way?) Suunto 9 Peak or Coros Vertix. 

My requirements are for long battery life (at least 30 hrs with accurate GPS tracking and navigation), durability and accurate tracking (friends Fenix 5 seemed to show some interesting routes compared to my Ambit).

The Vertix has the best battery but is most expensive, Peak is most similar to what I currently have (maybe not an upgrade?) and the Fenix is cheapest but has lots of gimmicks I won’t use. 

I only use it for activities (mountaineering and running, paddling and MTB) so don’t really care about normal smart watch features. 

Any thoughts or experiences with these and how they compare to the Ambit?

99ster 03 Dec 2021
In reply to echo34:

I had the same questions recently - as my Ambit Peak 3 HR was getting a bit old & tired, and I was becoming more & more disappointed with Suunto's app, etc.  I jumped ship to Garmin, as I already use a Garmin bike computer & have a Garmin InReach, so it made sense to have devices that could link to each other, etc (which they do very well).  And I ended up with an Instinct Solar - that I actually got used off eBay for a bargain price (hardly used) -  I'm very pleased with it, and I think it would tick all the boxes on your list.

elliot.baker 03 Dec 2021
In reply to echo34:

I just got a Fenix 6x pro sapphire for a bargain (go outdoors 10% price match to someone else + used top cash back) and I love it. I upgraded from the 735xt which had navigation but not maps.  

I can confirm the battery life is amazing, I did 50km run for 8 hours and it used a small percentage of the battery life, it’s supposed to be 60hrs and that’s accurate I think. It’s 21 days in normal watch mode, so you’re basically charging it once every couple of weeks with heavy usage. 

The maps are brilliant, I paid for the talky toaster maps which you copy onto the watch (takes 2 mins and costs something like £11). And these are very detailed. I wondered if having detailed maps on a small watch screen would be a waste of time but it’s a game changer - you just glance down and you instantly have a feel for what’s all around you, like a stream down the hill side or a cliff or a bend in the path or a bridge coming up etc. 

if you can stretch your budget to it  it I’d really recommend it, especially because of 15% cashback from GO on top cashback works with price match. 

I also bought a cheap leather strap which makes it look nice and different for occasions / work or whatever. 

I tried to read into it the fenix 7 was coming but it seems people have been saying it’s coming for nearly 2 years so I bit the bullet and have no regrets at all! 

OP echo34 03 Dec 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

Thanks for the information, sounds like a good option. Do you know if a Suunto chest HRM will work with it? 

OP echo34 03 Dec 2021
In reply to echo34:

Is it possible to have a black background on all screens on the Fenix like on the Ambit?

elliot.baker 03 Dec 2021
In reply to echo34:

Hmm not sure sorry… I know my old garmin chest HRM paired in seconds. Google it I’m sure they’ll be a clear answer 

DaveHK 03 Dec 2021
In reply to 99ster:

>  I was becoming more & more disappointed with Suunto's app, etc.  

Shit isn't it? I'm probably going to do the same as you and jump ship to Garmin even though the Suunto watch itself has been great.

Dave B 03 Dec 2021
In reply to echo34:

The Bluetooth one does, but when it breaks buy a polar if you want it to last... 

OP echo34 05 Dec 2021
In reply to echo34:

Are the maps on the Fenix pro useful/worth it? I’ve never had trouble just using the breadcrumb on my Ambit before, just wondering if it’s worth it 🤔

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...