UKC

North machine or North machine carbon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alasdair13 04 Dec 2021

Hi,

I'm looking to get some new axes and I'm stuck between the carbon and aluminium North Machines

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on carbon for scottish winter?  Read a few places that the carbon won't hold up well to the battering the axes get on scottish mixed routes.

Will be used for grades between I - IV. 

Any advice is much appreciated,

Thanks, Alasdair! 

beardy mike 04 Dec 2021
In reply to Alasdair13:

Not sure what advantage the carbon would really give you, maybe slight vibration damping and weight, but for Scotland, these are marginal advantages. Have used a pair of the carbon ones on water Ice for a week and they were the best axes I've used. 

Max Hunter 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Alasdair13:

The North Machine weighs 20g more per axe, I think. The Carbon therefore gives a marginal weight gain, for people looking for marginal weight gains.  The Carbon variation I think is also more expensive. 

I think unless you need that marginal gain of weight, then perhaps save money and get the standard North Machine. 

Either axe will be absolutely fine for grades up to IV or V. 

cb294 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Alasdair13:

I had the choice with a previous generation of Grivel axes, and went with the aluminium version. Best axes ever (Matrix techs), IMO better than the later models.

CB

Graham 05 Dec 2021
In reply to Alasdair13:

For what it's worth I have the carbon version and quite like them. In addition to the lighter weight and supposed dampened swing, I really like carbon for not being as cold as fully aluminium shafted tools. Will you be able to climb better with the carbon version? No.  Will you be marginally more comfortable with them? Maybe. Will you feel cooler? Possibly. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...