UKC

Winter walking trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zarathustra 07 Dec 2021

Hello,

Does anybody know of any walking trousers with a liner for the colder weather, please?

I have a pair of rab vapour rise but they need replacing and Rab only do a standard leg size. 

Much appreciate. 

In reply to zarathustra:

The Montane Super Terras aren’t lined but they are much thicker than Montane’s other trousers. They are available in various lengths and you can get them for £90 if you pick an unfashionable colour. 

Graeme G 07 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I used to own a pair of fleeced lined Craghoppers. Bit too warm for walking for me. Great for fireworks nights.

Andy Hardy 07 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Do you want longer or shorter than standard?

GrahamD 07 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I don't know in what conditions you're walking but I inherited a pair of Bear Gryllys branded Craghoppers which are very good.  Probably pretty inexpensive. 

OP zarathustra 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Hi Andy. I’m after a short leg. Cheers. 

afx22 07 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

My preference is to wear a pair base layer leggings under a medium softshell trouser.  So it’s a modular system.  I can use for stuff for a much greater part of the year and the leggings come in handy for cold weather camping or when the heating has broken etc.

I have the various weight leggings that I’ve bought over the years, from thin synthetic to heavy merino.

Depending on whether I’ll be wearing crampons or not, I generally choose between the ME G2 or Ibex pants.  I have both in a short leg.

Andypeak 07 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

You can pick up a pair of OEX fleece lined softshell trousers from go outdoors for about £60. I've never tried them but they looked ok in the shop and they do various leg lengths. 

alibrightman 07 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I use a pair of Paramo Cascada II trousers, which come in regular and short leg lengths.  Under these I wear knee-length Haglofs thermals.  It's a great combination for Scottish hills in winter.  One really nice thing about the trousers is that they are quite slick inside, allowing good freedom of movement.  I'm on my second pair. Paramo run a recycling scheme, giving £50 off if you return an old pair.

Cheers

Al

SimonCRMC 07 Dec 2021
In reply to alibrightman:

I'd add a shout-out for Paramo.  I have Aspira trousers which allow a single layer system, since they're both waterproof and breathable as well as being lined.  Never been cold in them even in Cairngorm blizzards.  Only downside is you cook if the temperature is much above freezing!

HTH.

Philip 07 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

I got a pair of ME Ibex trousers as they do those in Short (albeit 30" not 29") and 3 colours. Tried out at the week, windproof but for walking on Saturday I put Berghaus waterproof overtrousers on (also available in Short). Underneath they didn't get too sweaty and dried swiftly when I took the overtrousers off. Yet to try with light rain - for anything more I wouldn't trust softshell trousers.

Tringa 08 Dec 2021
In reply to zarathustra:

Mrs Tringa has a pair of lined Craghoppers. She doesn't do high hills but feels the cold quite a bit and reckons these trousers are excellent.

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...