UKC

Gender-neutral job titles / positions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 09 Dec 2021

Just idly thinking about various things whilst stuck on the M60 yesterday evening.  

I'm from a time when terms like "Manageress" and "Comedienne" were the norm, but like many other gender specific titles they're no longer in use now.  I can't think of the last time I heard either being used.

"Actress" seems to be on the way out - I think most female actors use the term "Actor" now, but occasionally one will refer to themselves as an "Actress".  I'm genuinely not sure about "Waitress".

Are there two types here...where some fall into a strictly "gender neutral" zone, and others (like "Waiter / waitress") falls into a "down to the persons own preference but probably moving into gender neutrality over time" zone?

And are there any which still definitely gender specific?  I wondered about whether Prince / Princess would ever move to just "Prince" at some point.  

This is in no way a "ITS PC GAWN MAAAAD" post.  I like how language changes over time, and I don't really have an opinion or an axe to grind in anyway.  Just a random train of though whilst stuck in traffic (and a post to UKC whilst waiting for a database to churn through some numbers)

EdS 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

dominatrix

Tom Valentine 09 Dec 2021
In reply to EdS:

Nanny.

Post edited at 11:33
OP ThunderCat 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Nanny.

Hmm.  I've some of some males in a Nanny-role calling themselves Manny.  So maybe

OP ThunderCat 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I wonder if my serial disliker is actually a serial dislikeress

wintertree 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

>  I'm genuinely not sure about "Waitress".

Chef! and Lenny Henry were ahead of their time.

summo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Sperm donor?

snoop6060 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Rent boy. 

abr1966 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Male nurse

Lady doctor

Midwife....don't think this has changed but there are some men in the job!!

Lankyman 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I wonder if my serial disliker is actually a serial dislikeress

Disliketrix? Especially with whips.

Lankyman 09 Dec 2021
In reply to summo:

> Sperm donor?

W@ nker

In reply to abr1966:

> Midwife....don't think this has changed but there are some men in the job!!

The term allegedly derives from middle english words 'mid' (=with) and 'wife' (=woman) and applies to anyone "with the woman" - I.e. providing assistance to a birthing mother - regardless of gender. 

Stichtplate 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Father Christmas? What, with the beard and everything…

In reply to ThunderCat:

Actor, actress. Why no Doctress? 

65 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Stunt cock.

See also, Prime Minister.

abr1966 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Interesting! Thanks for the info...!

Yanis Nayu 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Not all people with wombs who give birth are married, so it needs to go anyway. 

Herdwickmatt 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It had never crossed my mind. Fair point though.

In reply to ThunderCat:

Prime Minister 

nufkin 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> are there any which still definitely gender specific? 

Seamstress? Can’t think of a direct ‘male’ equivalent  other than ‘tailor’, perhaps, though I think they occupy a slightly different niche

JoshOvki 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

How about Barman/Barmaid? I don't know any female bar stewards that call themselves a barman

wercat 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Testator, testatrix

Bobling 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

Barstaff, just like waiter/waitress becomes waitstaff.

Tony Buckley 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

In cricket, batsman has pretty much disappeared to be replaced by batter.

Or at the moment for the English team in Australia, batty.

T.

JoshOvki 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Bobling:

hmmm good point, hadn't thought of that one

In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Actor, actress. Why no Doctress? 

Because everyone calls them “nurse” regardless?

Post edited at 15:27
 Michael Hood 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

> In cricket, batsman has pretty much disappeared to be replaced by batter.

> Or at the moment for the English team in Australia, batty.

Close, but the correct descriptor for an English batsman/batter is "out" 😁

summo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Widow Twanky, which has to be played by a male 50 plus year old.

Sleeping policeman

TobyA 09 Dec 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I was about to explain that male midwives are just midwives but someone else has already done it nicely! There was an interesting article on the BBC website last year I think about male midwives in the UK, there are a few but not so many. I'm sure google would turn up the article quickly enough for anyone interested.

TobyA 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Not all people with wombs who give birth are married, so it needs to go anyway. 

But just like midwife doesn't actually refer to the person doing the job, but rather who they will be with when they are doing their job, the "wife" of midwife doesn't refer to marital status but only sex.

summo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Hairdressers and barbers?

JoshOvki 09 Dec 2021
In reply to summo:

Isn't that based on who's hair they cut rather than their own gender? There is a female barber where I used to get my hair cut

summo 09 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

> Isn't that based on who's hair they cut rather than their own gender? There is a female barber where I used to get my hair cut

Yeah, kind of, maybe more the style of the establishment than who sits in the seats.

Sealwife 09 Dec 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Indeed.  Where I live anyone female can be referred to as a wife.  

Dax H 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I was going to say Salesman but they seem to be a thing of the past. They now all seem to be Buisines development managers now. 

Mark Kemball 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Chairman - we’ve had “lady chairman” and “chairwoman” but now it’s just “the chair” which seems far more sensible. 

RobAJones 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Mark Kemball:

The only time I've heard a headteacher reffered to as the headmaster, in the last 10 or so years, was on here. Not sure if I should read anything into that? 

Dave B 09 Dec 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Re: male midwives 

We had one for our first.

Historically was there a male equivalent of 'char lady' ? 

In reply to Mark Kemball:

Technically (for a company anyway) you can only be a chairman.

In the companies act, anyone, regardless of gender, is always a chairman.

tradisrad 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Military still has rather a lot - "Rifleman" etc. But given women have only recently been able to apply for dismounted close combat roles, this will likely change. 

John Workman 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

My actual surname is Workman. And the missus is Mrs Workman?

Hat Dude 09 Dec 2021
In reply to summo:

> Sperm donor?

You must know the old joke

A bloke in the queue at a sperm donation clinic notices that the person in front is a woman

"Excuse me" he asks "do you realise this queue is for sperm donors?"

She turns around with mouth tightly closed, her cheeks bulging and just nods

Post edited at 22:09
 Hillseeker 09 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Female nurses are sometimes referred to as “sister….” Will male nurses ever be called “brother…”?!

In reply to Hillseeker:

No, sister is a specific job title rather than a generic term for a female nurse. A man doing the same job would be called a charge nurse or a ward manager I believe. 

JoshOvki 09 Dec 2021
In reply to summo:

> maybe more the style of the establishment than who sits in the seats.

That is a much better way of putting it. There is a barbers and a hair dressers next door to each other around here, and the staff seem to do shifts in both

Dave Garnett 09 Dec 2021
In reply to Bobling:

> Barstaff, just like waiter/waitress becomes waitstaff.

Or waitron.  On being told that my waitron would be with me ´momentarily’ in a US restaurant, I was quite disappointed when someone apparently entirely human turned up.

Niall_H 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Or waitron.

A friend of mine works in food research and commonly uses "waitron" to describe the table-service staff

B-team 10 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Widow/widower. As a widowed male, I would happy to see this gender neutral (as widow).

john arran 10 Dec 2021

> Or waitron.  On being told that my waitron would be with me ´momentarily’ in a US restaurant, I was quite disappointed when someone apparently entirely human turned up.

...and didn't disappear again in an instant 🙂

cindy onarato 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> No, sister is a specific job title rather than a generic term for a female nurse. A man doing the same job would be called a charge nurse or a ward manager I believe. 

Kind of, although a ward manager could be either sex and tends to be focused more on admin/upper management liaison.  Sister/charge nurses tend to be more clinically focused and supervise junior nurses and overall patient care.  Depending on unit/ward size and hospital culture one person might do both roles. 

yorkshireman 10 Dec 2021

> Or waitron.  On being told that my waitron would be with me ´momentarily’ in a US restaurant, I was quite disappointed when someone apparently entirely human turned up.

Server is pretty common nowadays? Makes sense to me and feels a bit more egalitarian than waiter/ess.

Also I've been working for a spirits company for the last two years and we exclusively refer to bartenders which happily covers the people behind the bar.

Firefighter is surely pretty entrenched now (and again seems more sensible than fireman as it describes the job)? Seeing the term 'fishers' used in the press a lot when referring people going out on boats that catch fish.

Almost the opposite problem in France

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/01/academie-francaise-allows-fem...

Andy Clarke 10 Dec 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

> The only time I've heard a headteacher reffered to as the headmaster, in the last 10 or so years, was on here. Not sure if I should read anything into that? 

Haven't they all become Chief Executives by now? Finding one who actually did any teaching was hard enough when I was still in the job.

Greenbanks 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Or that Australia has out-battered, or simply battered, England

TobyA 10 Dec 2021
In reply to cindy onarato:

Could a female nurse who has reached the rank of sister/charge nurse choose to be called Charge Nurse instead of Sister if they prefer? And if so does that happen much?

AukWalk 10 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I think it's interesting how naming conventions seem to be moving to gender neutral words, as my perception was that 10 years ago having female - specific words like 'manageress' and 'comedienne' as mentioned was seen as empowering and desirable by some people in those roles (I'm sure I remember people on TV specifically referring to themselves in those ways - but not everyone, so it seemed like an intentional choice as to whether they used that word or just' manager'), but these days the prevailing view seems to be the opposite!

I think some job names like 'actress' and 'waitress' will probably stick around for quite a while because of how common and well used they are, but imagine most other names will drop any make or female-specific differentiation if they haven't already. 

You sometimes see 'woman [profession]' and I wonder if that might be used more for a short time, but does seem like in general the trend is to remove any specification of gender. 

RobAJones 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> Haven't they all become Chief Executives by now? Finding one who actually did any teaching was hard enough when I was still in the job.

I found out yesterday that an old colleague has just made that move. Apparently she was asking after me, for golf lessons😊

Post edited at 16:33
 deepsoup 10 Dec 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:
I've quite recently noticed what we used to call 'tradesmen' (ie: builders, electricians, plumbers etc.) being called just 'trades'.

Tom Valentine 10 Dec 2021
In reply to AukWalk:

Yes, the bishop and the actress suggests quite a different narrative from the bishop and the actor.

alx 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Probably more historically correct no?

fred99 10 Dec 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> No, sister is a specific job title rather than a generic term for a female nurse. A man doing the same job would be called a charge nurse or a ward manager I believe. 

Shouldn't a female doing that job also be called Charge Nurse or Ward Manager ?

In reply to fred99:

I think so, yes, but since I don’t write nurses’ job specs it’s somewhat out of my hands. I was just describing what I understand the title “sister” to mean, not advocating its use. 

spenser 11 Dec 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Given the demographic on this forum I would be surprised if a significant number of people didn't go to grammar schools etc. My high school (RGS Newcastle) seems to still refer to the headmaster in stuff they send out. 

RobAJones 11 Dec 2021
In reply to spenser:

> My high school (RGS Newcastle) seems to still refer to the headmaster in stuff they send out. 

I took a group of kids from Workington to play rugby there in the late 90's. I think we were the only state school left in the last 16 or 32 . The basis of our team was that most of the Workington U16 rugby league team who lost the national final that year to St Helens went to our school. Consequently we were used to coming off worst in the penalty count but if our backs got around 25% of the possesion we would win comfortably. That game we lost by 5 points, the penalty count was 30+ to 1 against us. As you can tell I'm still bitter about finding out that the ref was one of your old boys. The day obviously made an impression on some of our lads as they still talk about it 25 years later 

Darkinbad 11 Dec 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> I've quite recently noticed what we used to call 'tradesmen' (ie: builders, electricians, plumbers etc.) being called just 'trades'.

Australian would be tradies. See also firies. But AFAIAA both arise as a pattern of Australian slang rather than an intention to be gender neutral.

critter 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Not all people with wombs who give birth are married, so it needs to go anyway. 

Wouldn't it be more honest to call them women!

fred99 11 Dec 2021
In reply to spenser:

> Given the demographic on this forum I would be surprised if a significant number of people didn't go to grammar schools etc. My high school (RGS Newcastle) seems to still refer to the headmaster in stuff they send out. 

At the Grammar School I went to, the Headmaster was always referred to as just "the Head" - so effectively gender neutral even back then.

However, in cases of poor behaviour, boys were sent to his deputy, known also as the "Deputy Head" for the cane to be administered.

Now if said person had been female, using the female description could have been interesting .... imagine teenage boys being send to the "Deputy Headmistress" for a caning ....

Billhook 11 Dec 2021
In reply to Dax H:

> I was going to say Salesman but they seem to be a thing of the past. They now all seem to be Buisines development managers now.   I wondered why 'Sales Rep' went .

In reply to critter:

What is it that you think is dishonest about what Yanis Nayu said?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...