UKC

Moderna dead arm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RedFive 17 Dec 2021

Anyone else had the Moderna dead arm?

I'm 50, relatively fit for my age (run, bike & climb weekly but don't do daft events any more).

1st & 2nd were AZ then Booster on Wednesday was Moderna. Had climbing & post climb drink session booked in for Thursday but alas had to just make do with drinking as couldn't lift my left arm.

No reaction at all to either AZ and zero other side effects from Moderna so not complaining.

Morning at the wall rebooked for Wednesday with another afternoon in the city centre for a few post climb pints and a side order of Omicron pre Christmas.

The New NickB 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I had a painful arm for a few days after my Moderna jab, more so than the two Pfizer jabs I had. I put it down to the skill of the person brandishing the needle.

Removed User 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

The more it hurts going in the worse it is I think. If you tear muscle fibres you can get a nasty welt.

OP RedFive 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah you would think but honestly, barely a scratch. Wife had at same time and didn't know it had even gone in (she says that to me all the time to be fair), but same dead arm too.

afx22 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

When I had my first jab, I had a good dead arm for around four or five days.  

I mentioned this to the nurse at my second jab and she said it was nothing ant the contents of what was being injected but more about the skill of the person administering the jab.  I had no dead arm that time.

Then I had my booster fairly recently and again had a dead arm for a few days?

Toerag 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Had moderna on Tuesday. Didn't feel it at the time, but by bedtime it was painful enough to touch to warrant sleeping on my other side. I could sleep on it fine last night but it's still a little painful to the touch. Had no issues with my first two AZs in terms of arm pain.

skog 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I've had a really sore arm after both AZ jags and my Pfizer booster (from which I had no other side effects) - so I don't think this is a Moderna thing.

nathan79 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I thought it was just me!

Dead arm effect from my Moderns was worse than with either of my 2 AZ doses. (Maybe didn't help I'd done a shoulder workout the day before my booster).

The Lemming 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

> Anyone else had the Moderna dead arm?

You should have been a child of the 70s when needles were the size of Bazookas.

And then after your jab, in the playground, you'd get punched in the arm.

Happy days. 😀

abcdef 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

everyone i know (myself included) has had the moderna arm-of-doom after the booster.

the mother in law (ex-nurse) noticed that the needles being used at the vaccination centres are typically for extracting blood (apparently?), and therefore thicker and could be a factor

NorthernGrit 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

A bit (and a small lump) but for me it's the sore armpit on that side that causing the most aggro.

J101 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Had all 3 of my doses as Moderna, first 2 were fine, booster was a bastard.

WaterMonkey 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I'm 50 and had my booster this morning. Pfizer.

At work this morning I had to climb a 100m starch silo. It wasn't until I got to the top I remembered my jab and thankfully no pain at all! 

JCurrie 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I’m 51. Had AZ twice then Moderna booster. Nothing from first two. Had dead arm with booster and now, a week later, achy and tender lymph nodes in my oxters, less so in my neck.

Yanis Nayu 17 Dec 2021
In reply to JCurrie:

What are oxters?

nniff 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I'm 60 now (and not taking it well!).  Two AZ and a Pfizer booster.  Sore arm - not dead, quite the reverse- it was keen on reminding me of its presence whenever I moved it or lay on it.  I had the jab at 6pm and by midday the following day I felt awful, but woke up fine the next day

Yanis Nayu 17 Dec 2021
In reply to nniff:

51, 2 x AZ then Pfizer booster. Really painful arm for a couple of days and feverish for about 24 hours after the booster. 

jkarran 17 Dec 2021
In reply to nniff:

My Pfizer booster seems to have triggered an inflamatory response in a couple of well worn finger joints giving me a couple of days of mild gout symptoms. Arm is fine, just a mild bruise feeling at the jab site.

Jk

skog 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> What are oxters?

Arm pits.

Acrux 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Many of the covid vaccines seem to cause soreness at the injection site. I think Pfizer and AZ had rates around 80% and Moderna closer to 90%. For the vast majority, it is only a mild side effect, but for a small proportion it can be worse. I think this is the study for the Moderna vaccine if you would like to look at the rates: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2035389

Hopefully it'll be back to normal soon

broken spectre 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

An alternative thread title could have been Post-Modernaism.

I hope your arm's settled down now.

Ger_the_gog 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I had the Moderna booster mid-afternoon yesterday and my shoulder is quite tender today, more so than after my first 2 (both Pfizer). Also had what I call "the hospital squits" earlier but other than that I feel more-or-less fine.

Edit: I'm 49.

Post edited at 15:14
 Yanis Nayu 17 Dec 2021
In reply to skog:

> Arm pits.

Cheers - new one on me!

hang_about 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Had my Moderna booster 30 mins ago - I'll let you know!

Don't care though. Had a Covid scare at the start of the week (positive LF test then a mix up of text messages making me think my PCR was positive - it wasn't). I'll take a dead arm if needs be, but hope not as I have a nice long cycle ride planned for Sunday

mbh 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

59, 2 x AZ + Moderna booster. Felt rough after the second AZ, for which I felt the actual injection going in. Nothing but the tiniest achiness in the arm after the other two, neither of which I felt when they were done.

mondite 17 Dec 2021
In reply to hang_about:

> Had my Moderna booster 30 mins ago - I'll let you know!

Had mine about two hours ago. I did semi manage to convince myself that my arm was hurting before remembering that I had decided to go for the other arm today.

sandrow 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I had 2xAZ - felt a little fluey after each

Then Pfizer booster at 5pm... 4am the next day I woke up thinking I'd broken my arm in my sleep and was a bit fluey. Was OK 24 hours later - however, 6 weeks later I still have a tender spot where the injection was!

Wife was OK with 2xAZ & Pfizer booster - even made her long-Covid better for a few days after each jag.

Daughters & sons-in-law have all had 2xPfizer & Moderna booster. All had sore arms after booster. Eldest has swollen oxter lymph nodes.

nniff 17 Dec 2021
In reply to jkarran:

> My Pfizer booster seems to have triggered an inflamatory response in a couple of well worn finger joints giving me a couple of days of mild gout symptoms. Arm is fine, just a mild bruise feeling at the jab site.

> Jk

Now that you come to mention it, I think mine's done the same

AllanMac 17 Dec 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

> You should have been a child of the 70s when needles were the size of Bazookas.

> And then after your jab, in the playground, you'd get punched in the arm.

You were lucky.

We 'ad t'vaccine administered by a reyt big pile driver in t'arm by t'nurse weerin' Nazzi uniform. Then she'd 'ang uz oop bi t'bollocks from t'rafters 'til we screemed the place dahn.

Ger_the_gog 17 Dec 2021
In reply to AllanMac:

Pile driver? Luxury!

Moacs 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Colder weather makes lots of people have slightly higher muscle tension when they're getting vaccinated.  You can get tearing with the best technique on the warmest day, but bad technique, colder weather, awkward clothing, recipient tension etc. all make it more likely.  Hitting or injecting next to a nerve can give numbness or stiffness.

Happened last time I got a tetanus booster.

All 3 of my C19 jabs were painless and only the first gave me any symptoms beyond a tiny bruise.

Doug 17 Dec 2021

Had my 3rd dose this morning, Pfizer after two doses of AZ. So far no side effects other than feeling a bit tired but that might well be due to getting up earlier than usual this morning. Hopefully will feel OK tomorrow as the local ski lifts open for the season

In reply to RedFive:

> Anyone else had the Moderna dead arm?

> I'm 50, relatively fit for my age (run, bike & climb weekly but don't do daft events any more).

> 1st & 2nd were AZ then Booster on Wednesday was Moderna. Had climbing & post climb drink session booked in for Thursday but alas had to just make do with drinking as couldn't lift my left arm.

> No reaction at all to either AZ and zero other side effects from Moderna so not complaining.

> Morning at the wall rebooked for Wednesday with another afternoon in the city centre for a few post climb pints and a side order of Omicron pre Christmas.

A couple of people at work had Moderna and both said the arm was pretty bad. However, both said they are fine now (a week later)

Rory Shaw 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Yep, I had Moderns booster. Savage d and arm for 3 days. No other side effects. Nothing from first 2 Pfizer

Timmd 17 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Having had the AZ twice, I had a Pfizer booster yesterday which has caused the most pain and discomfort out of the three.

hang_about 18 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Well, 24 h later. No sore arm but started feeling a bit off in the night and felt fluey all day. Not as bad as first dose of AZ. Hopefully  will disappear over night but it's a small price to pay.

Stay safe everyone. 

Maggot 18 Dec 2021
In reply to hang_about:

A 45p box of paracetamol will sort you out. 2 pills worked for me.

mondite 18 Dec 2021
In reply to hang_about:

I had mine yesterday. Slightly sore arm and feeling slightly under the weather with a moderate jump in resting heart rate but didnt help myself by doing some boxing pad work last night and then kayaking in the morning. Does seem to be one where you either get battered or dont notice it. Hopefully me not consciously noticing doesnt mean that my immune system didnt notice it either.

Ian W 19 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Both me and Mrs W had moderna booster on wednesday  morning after 2 AZ jabs;  i had no reaction at all to the AZ's, the wife had mild bruising at injection site. Moderna felt fine, we both went about our business as normal, but by about 7pm we both felt as if we'd had a good workout. Muscles ached, and joints felt stiff, especially those with form for pain (both my ankles and one of the wife's knees). felt fine by thursday morning.

TurnipPrincess 19 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

I was aware that I had a sore arm, but I didn't think I had a dead arm until my partner complained about me slapping him three times in my sleep. 

tew 19 Dec 2021
In reply to RedFive:

2 doses of Pfizer, first resulted in me just feeling a little under the weather. The second one took me out for about 2 or 3 days.

With my booster of moderna resulting in a sore arm and feeling just a little groogy the day after. But now I'm back to normal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...