UKC

PCR positive but

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

…. not recorded as covid (apparently). I thought a positive PCR would be automatically classed as a covid case (I believe no retesting is done to establish any false positives anyway)?

Background: I was speaking to a friend who after some LF negative tests had a very faint LF positive test, and then had a PCR positive test. However, Test and Protect (Scotland), when they were in touch, told him that he was not considered to have or had covid given he didn’t have any of the three symptoms officially listed; particularly lack of high temp and fever was mentioned. His symptoms were more like a bad head cold, without any high temp/fever or loss of taste/smell, he had told them. He is though required to isolate for 10 days starting from his PCR test.

It seems to me (and him) to be a strange decision to be told you haven’t had covid in the circumstances. 

Timmd 27 Dec 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I was reading yesterday about Omicron-covid (sp) not having the classic symptoms your friend didn't have. 

Post edited at 14:37

> told him that he was not considered to have or had covid given he didn’t have any of the three symptoms officially listed;

That's nuts. The 'three symptoms' haven't been accurate for over a year. A PCR test is a much better indicator of infection than symptoms are.

Kevster 27 Dec 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

It's a classic case of following science rather than witch craft. 

In reply to captain paranoia:

> > told him that he was not considered to have or had covid given he didn’t have any of the three symptoms officially listed;

> That's nuts. The 'three symptoms' haven't been accurate for over a year. A PCR test is a much better indicator of infection than symptoms are.

Maybe they make a distinction between being infected with the virus and having the condition caused by the virus. 

Post edited at 18:50
 girlymonkey 27 Dec 2021

That sounds very odd indeed! 

Yanis Nayu 27 Dec 2021

He was talking to an idiot. 

Was this the first time they had Covid?

It could be criteria for deciding whether it is a new infection.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I can’t understand it other than some error or misunderstanding somewhere.

Knowing my friend well, however, he is used to being precise and accurate at giving details (and also questioning!) and doesn’t accept decisions that he doesn’t agree with lightly. He just told me they entered a discussion after being told!

I wonder what his medical record will show later. In some circumstances it could have knock on implications. At least with his work, there should not be a problem of him being off for the 10 days I think given he will have a positive test result evidence.

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Yes, first time.

I’m thinking has to be a T&P mistake unless having cold like symptoms for five days before a PCR test somehow changes the thoughts. It was however only the day before the PCR test he got the faint LFT result so no reason to have had an earlier test.

Afaik Covid is the disease caused by sars-cov-2 infection. They may have found that he doesn’t match their criteria for a Covid case, even though he is infected.

Still, quite weird.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...