UKC

Raptors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 03 Jan 2022

Today I saw 3 peregrines, 2 kestrels, 7 marsh harriers (6 in the air at once whilst one perched in a tree), a female hen harrier and two buzzards. Tawny owl then two barn owl to end the day. Marsh Side RSPB near Southport (peregrines) and Martin Mere for most of the rest. Tonnes of other stuff - little and great white egret, massive numbers of grey plover, dunlin, lapwings (marsh side) and ducks galore. Woodcock and snipe. Thousands and thousands of pink feet. Whopper swans. Another highlight was actually feeling cold in a biting wind (warm weather in January ain’t good). 

And I saw a kestrel catch a prey item but can’t make it out. Will post a photo at some point. 

Michael Hood 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Ok that's better than my Kestrel, Buzzard & Marsh Harrier at Little Woolden Moss NR and environs, although I think it was the longest view I've had of a MH at the Mosses, and I have also seen Peregrine, Hobby & Sparrowhawk in that area but not today (and Merlin & Hen Harrier have been seen but not by me).

The flock (~400) of pink-feet at the mosses today got disturbed by locals on a quad bike - boy they are noisy when they take off.

J101 04 Jan 2022

Fantastic list there Mick, so much variety! I rarely go a day without seeing at least one Red Kite (8 together on New Year's Day) but beyond that and kestrels and buzzards don't get a lot of other raptors on my walks.

In reply to Michael Hood:

I think the Marsh harriers nested at Martin Mere for the first time. And it’s been a long time since last saw a hen harrier, but quite a few (and short eared owls) being spotted in the NW (esp around the Dee estuary).  

In reply to J101:

It was a good day for sure, but surprised at not seeing a Sparrowhawk. 

Rog Wilko 05 Jan 2022

How big is a whopper swan?

In reply to Rog Wilko:

That happens every time (Lankyman normally gets in there first).  Anyway, they're massive, but not as big as a double whopper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...