UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Beal TIGER 10mm UNICORE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 18 Jan 2022

TIGER 10mm is an example of multipurpose: in climbing it's the introductory rope for those starting to use thin ropes.  

Read more

Basemetal 18 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why, and in what sense, "introductory"? 

raussmf 18 Jan 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

Advanced ropes are much more complicated. With LED screens and 4G.

Garethza 18 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

> it's the introductory rope for those starting to use thin ropes.  

10mm is thin? 

jezb1 18 Jan 2022
In reply to Garethza:

> 10mm is thin? 

Yup, in 1990...!

CantClimbTom 18 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'm genuinely surprised by the price. Very little info, does it improve on previous stiff handling of unicore ropes?

My first rope I actually owned myself was a mammut galaxy 10 dry 50m in 1992, apart from this being unicore and 70m, the TIGER seems utterly unremarkable and no better than I bought 30 years ago. What's the deal with this rope??

Why no information, is it a stub article to be expanded later?

Graeme Hammond 18 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Slightly confused by 'Dry Cover' does this mean the rope meets the UIAA test for water absorption to be classified as a water repellant or what most people call a "dry treated rope" or is this a way of sounding like you are getting a "dry treated rope" but actually you aren't and is therefore a bit misleading 🤔

Post edited at 18:50
 FactorXXX 18 Jan 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Why no information, is it a stub article to be expanded later?

It's an advert from Beal as opposed to an article/review by UKC.

CantClimbTom 18 Jan 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

That's fair enough. Some ropes the dry treatment is only in the sheath, others (less commonly as it's expensive) can be sheath and core treated. The UIAA brought out their standard of what dry means in 2014 (must absorb water >=5% of the ropes weight) but that is based on results not method. Many manufacturers offer 3 levels of treatment. For example Mammut call no treatment "classic", sheath only "protect" and sheath + core "dry". I think Beal's descriptions of "dry cover" rather than using opaque marketing terms like "protect" is a very good thing.

Post edited at 21:55
 Robert Durran 18 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Well I have just bought my first "introductory" thin single rope - an 80m 9.5mm Simond one for £104. I am now left wondering what else I would have been introduced to at three times the price per metre.

bpmclimb 19 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

> TIGER 10mm is an example of multipurpose: in climbing it's the introductory rope for those starting to use thin ropes.  

No it's not! 9.5 could be regarded as that, but not 10mm.

TechnoJim 20 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Jeepers, I've just clocked the price of this. Can anyone offer any wisdom as to why it's so expensive? Genuinely intrigued.

Post edited at 20:11
 ericinbristol 20 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

£272? You must be high... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...