UKC

Climbing near Barrow In Furness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 20 Jan 2022

Morning all, the wife and i are looking at possibly booking some accommodation early Feb. Is there much climbing likely to be achivable round there that time of year (without driving back out of the lakes onto limestone). The other half can't walk far so long walk is could be out too. Would the likes of Stonestar Crag be worth a visit or worth avoiding?

Thanks

Frank

Mark Eddy 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Given some decent weather, Stonestar will be a good venue at that time of year. Easy access and no bracken to contend with.

The Eskdale granite crags would also be worth a look: Brantrake; Hare; Goat; etc. Walk in to Brantrake, although short can be pretty boggy.

Kalna_kaza 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

How about  Wallowbarrow Crag in the Duddon Valley? It's fairly close by and has a short walk in.

Michael Hood 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Stonestar often gets a nesting restriction (usually Peregrines) but you should be earlier than that - unless it's taken over by some prematurely frisky Ravens 😁

Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

There's some sport and a bit of bouldering at  Humphrey Head. Guessing this isn't the limestone  you were thinking, it's close to Barrow. 

petegunn 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Frankie boy:

Best bet would the crags around the Silverdale area if the weather is bad in the hills, many wet days have been saved at Trowbarrow and surrounding crags. Plenty of trad, bouldering and sport.

OP Frankie boy 20 Jan 2022
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks all for your replies. We've climbed a lot of the limestone round Silverdale and Carnforth and do remember looking across and seeing at in the lakes. Was just really wondering if that bottom edge of the lakes siffers like the hillier bits of the lakes. Kinda seems odd to drive into the lakes with accommodation then drive back out to climb most days. 

I guess we can never tell what the weather will do,  but i was hoping stuff like Stonestar etc may get missed by the worst of the weather. 

OP Frankie boy 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks,  Good shout on that one,  i forget it's there. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...