UKC

Darlton Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 22 Jan 2022

Darlton Quarry: Post-Mission Impossible filming report. Sunny Wall at Darlton isn't a spectacular bit of rock but in its favour it probably has the highest concentration of sub 6a sport routes in the Peak, plus a bunch of easier grade 6 routes too. Access has been impossible for most of 2021 because of the film set construction then filming, then dismantling. I went for a walk there today after a organisational £_*k-up meant I was 24 hours too early /my mate was going to be 24 hours too late to Horseshoe to climb. Everything has been completely cleared from the quarry floor, they've even dismantled the old "Marie Celeste" office building by the gate.

The Shady Wall routes look basically untouched despite the famous train having took flight off the top of them! But on Sunny Wall it looks like they bulldozed lots of mud and rubble up against the bottom of the wall. Someone has removed the hangers from lots of the first bolts but have left the studs undamaged. For the routes in the middle section, the studs are probably at chest height now so not much help, clipping the previously second bolt shouldn't be hard. Towards the right end there must be more stuff pushed up as there the bolt studs are at knee height or lower. The routes at both the far left like Still Game (6a) and on the far right (from about Stripey (6a+) onwards) seem unaffected.

I doubt the new bank of rubble will shrink much, they seem to have reinforced it with that thick rockfall catch netting, so presumably it was part of the engineering they did to collect all the bits of the smashed up train, driven off the opposite top for the movie. Which route is which is still obvious using the topo though.

Derek Furze 23 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

I have only been once and it rained before we did anything, but I seem to remember a lot of routes on Sunny started down in a depression. It looks like they have basically levelled it up.

OP TobyA 23 Jan 2022
In reply to Derek Furze:

> It looks like they have basically levelled it up.

And we lose out as a result. But, of course, we will have to wait for the Sue Grey report before we decide if Johnson should resign.

Derek Furze 23 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

Indeed.  That side wasn’t particularly high in the first place IIRC.  I think you and I (and millions of others) can decide, but sadly it is in the hands of  his party (possibly ironically) 😀

Holdtickler 24 Jan 2022
In reply to TobyA:

rediggable?

OP TobyA 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Holdtickler:

Very hard graft with out a mini digger at least I suspect!

OP TobyA 25 Jan 2022
In reply to kristian:

Yep, there's a big sign about the letting down by the locked gate. The buildings that you can see in their picture aren't there anymore though - level and removed completely. I guess we shall see if anything comes of it. I don't know but does the fact that peregrines have nested there have any impact on it potential commercial use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...