UKC

Buachaille Etive Mòr Car Park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What the hell?

Route Adjuster 23 Jan 2022
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Go on, tell us more...,

DaveHK 23 Jan 2022

No idea what you're on about but I've liked your post because of the correct spelling and use of grave. Well done.

In reply to Route Adjuster:

Biggest pile of choss since I climbed at the Llyn Brianne quarry. Pulling into it gives you the great options of either reversing back into the carriageway or navigating a bomb range. Full of cars too, do they all trash their bumpers? 

timparkin 23 Jan 2022

I live around the corner and have never seen any problems. It definitely not a premium grade NCP. It's almost like it's just a patch of ground off the road that you can stick your car on for free.

Tim

Post edited at 21:01
In reply to timparkin:

I'm guessing you drive a 4x4. Or tank. 

65 23 Jan 2022

I haven't stopped in it for a while but have parked all sorts of cars in it including a few that were lacking in ground clearance. I only remember scraping a bumper once. No damage. Don't tell anyone though, it's busy enough.

Post edited at 21:51

All the dislikers have to go and park there. 

JLS 23 Jan 2022

Yeah, it’s pretty rough. The bit on the left generally isn’t too bad if you pick your line carefully, while entering and exiting. I’ve not ventured down the hill in years. Certainly wouldn’t take the Lambo down there…

Precovid you’d often get a decent spot fairly easily. During covid it been pretty rammed (in summer at least).

Post edited at 22:16
 Ciro 23 Jan 2022

> All the dislikers have to go and park there. 

I haven't disliked your comment, but having used it recently I'm at a loss as to your problem.

Are you driving a Lamborghini? If you're going climbing in Scotland, is worth buying an appropriate car with a bit of clearance for getting off the road 

JLS 23 Jan 2022
In reply to Ciro:

>”having used it recently I'm at a loss as to your problem”

I think the OP has a point. As a car park it is far far from ideal, though whether or not we want a supermarket style car park at that location is another question…

veteye 23 Jan 2022

Yeh!

And I bet they haven't tried to get rid of the midges in summer either...

nathan79 24 Jan 2022

It's definitely not the smoothest as official unofficial hill parking spots go. That bit of the glen owes me one sump. Berlingo van, so nothing fancy or sporty or low to the ground. Consequently I haven't parked at that bit in years, preferring the better options slightly further on (and if they're full I'll just keep on driving and head for somewhere else).

alan moore 24 Jan 2022

I now make sure I'm early enough to use the tarmac layby on the North side.

As you say, the parking area is rough. I've never driven onto it without scraping the ground and have had to ask passengers to get out to gain some clearance. I surprised at people saying otherwise; they must drive 4x4's. And before anybody asks, I am of course, an excellent driver.

olddirtydoggy 24 Jan 2022

What's even more outrageous is the path up Curved ridge, it's quite bumpy and not even curved! Must admit, the carpark was easy in my Transit with extra clearance on the high wheels.

colinakmc 24 Jan 2022

Where does it say landowners are obliged to provide high quality off-road parking for climbers? You can get your car off the road, even better you can get back on the road when you’re done. 

Much more concerning was the estate blockade of the first car park, at the bend in the road at the beginning of the Glen.

In reply to colinakmc:

> Where does it say landowners are obliged to provide high quality off-road parking for climbers? 

I'm not saying they have to, but as the main car park for a popular destination it's a bit of a hazard for normal cars. It's not like you can easily turn around and go to a different car park once you've turned off. 

65 24 Jan 2022
In reply to alan moore:

> I now make sure I'm early enough to use the tarmac layby on the North side.

This is the answer.

> As you say, the parking area is rough. I've never driven onto it without scraping the ground and have had to ask passengers to get out to gain some clearance. I surprised at people saying otherwise; they must drive 4x4's. And before anybody asks, I am of course, an excellent driver.

Yes, I recall getting my passengers out before getting onto the more uneven bits. I'm going back a couple of decades and beyond. It must be so much busier and possibly more chewed up now.

Robert Durran 24 Jan 2022

And the path up Buachaille Etive Mor is a bit crap too. "They" should build a proper staircase.

StuPoo2 24 Jan 2022

I think the OP's point is that it "is as bad as I've ever seen" ... something I would agree with.  I'd also add that as a result of the mess of the car park that parking up on the road is getting messier too.  

Worth remembering that you can elected to park in the Glencoe Viewpoint round the corner ~500m.  Path back to Altnafeadh isn't amazing .. but it's getting better.  The risk here is that I've occasionally seen people boxed in.  

The car park at Altnafeadh has been a mess for the last 3-5 years. What's interesting is that the NTS hasn't done anything about it yet.  I can't help but feel (might be talking rubbish) that the carparks being of limited space and limited quality helps naturally limit the numbers.  I might be looking for something that doesn't exist there ...  

The NTS got a heap of new funding in Feb 2021 "to make the community and landscape more resilient to rising visitor numbers with more fit-for-purpose parking, paths for walkers and visitors, signage and waste disposal facilities".  

"What will the funds go towards?

The largest element of the project will be an upgrade of Glencoe’s busiest parking areas beside the A82 at the iconic Three Sisters viewpoint. A busy stop-off for photographs and access point to the popular Coire Gabhail or Hidden Valley walks and other mountain hikes, demand for these car parks often leads to irresponsible parking and hazardous driving.

Other parking hotspots likely to receive attention include Altnafeadh, where the West Highland Way climbs up the Devil’s Staircase and Glen Etive, including the popular view made famous in the James Bond movie, Skyfall."

That was 1 year ago.  Bit sad it's taken that long to make any inroads to the parking at Altnafeadh.

https://www.nts.org.uk/stories/scotlands-most-famous-glen-to-receive-fundin...

Ciro 24 Jan 2022
In reply to alan moore:

> As you say, the parking area is rough. I've never driven onto it without scraping the ground and have had to ask passengers to get out to gain some clearance. I surprised at people saying otherwise; they must drive 4x4's. And before anybody asks, I am of course, an excellent driver.

I might have had my tongue slightly in my cheek - driving a van tends to make things more accessible 😁

But yes, decanting passengers first is always a good idea when parking off road. 

I loved my old Citroen cars for this kind of parking - everyone out, whack the suspension up to "service" height and off you go with ground clearance to rival most 4x4s, albeit getting tossed around a bit!

In reply to StuPoo2:

That's good information, thanks.

Root1 24 Jan 2022

Standard procedure for tourist areas in the uk I'm afraid. They take the tourists money and to hell with building or even maintaining any infrastructure.

In reply to Root1:

> Standard procedure for tourist areas in the uk I'm afraid. They take the tourists money and to hell with building or even maintaining any infrastructure.

Is there now a charge to park there?

Root1 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

No. That's not the point. People need to park up without risking wrecking their cars. Its a tourist area, it wouldn't happen on the continent.

65 24 Jan 2022
In reply to Root1:

Where on the continent are you thinking of? I've parked in loads of places where a bit of hail-Mary off-road parking is required. Mind you I tend to go to places that are a bit quieter than Glencoe. 

Spare a thought for the occupants of Altnafeadh. That view and proximity to the best mountain in Scotland comes at a price.

In reply to Root1:

> No. That's not the point. People need to park up without risking wrecking their cars. Its a tourist area, it wouldn't happen on the continent.

I think if people insist on convenient nice parking areas being built everywhere, we'll end up paying for it. I'd rather, on principle, risk wrecking my car or go elsewhere.

Post edited at 19:09
In reply to Robert Durran:

> or go elsewhere

See my point about being stuck with either a blind reverse onto an A-road or navigating the surface of mars

Colin Moody 24 Jan 2022

I saw workmen measuring the car park a couple of miles to the west on Friday. Perhaps they also measured other car parks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...