UKC

Land rent rates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 24 Jan 2022

Does anyone know what might be considered a fair rate to rent undeveloped land (but land within the development envelope of a village)? The land location is on the Isle of Skye and the answer is basically needed for an accounting exercise, so I just want a realistic figure, not trying to bargain or get a good rate from someone else or anything.

Toerag 24 Jan 2022
In reply to henwardian:

I assume the renter will not be able to develop the land without landlord's permission, so the developability of the land is a moot point. What matters is the current status and what a renter can do with it. If it's a field they can graze cows on it'll fetch one level of rent, if it's a bit of waste ground they can store stuff on then it'll fetch a different one. A local estate agent is probably your best bet.  Ownership is a different kettle of fish though, the field next to my old house was worth £26k as an 'undevelopable' field, and £440k after the planning laws changed to make it 'developable'.

Post edited at 12:14
In reply to henwardian:

Impossible to answer I would say on basis of only the details given, sorry. It could potentially be hugely variable so you will need to give a lot more info.

For example - What’s it current use, current tenure or proposed tenure (short term/long term/restricted use of say grazing let/etc.) current state (used/abandoned, flat/steep, economically improvable or unlikely), any convenants/title restrictions, past use, currently occupied or vacant, size of site, access to site, potential of site for current or past use, utilities on site, registered croft land, deregistered or never been croft, proposed use by tenant, etc., etc.?

In a past job, I’ve let registered croft land for crofting purposes from <£1 /acre upwards. On the other hand non croft for many hundreds/acre in similar land and island location to I of S. I should say I have no current or recent enough knowledge on rent valuations so can’t answer. However, if you could give further info, someone on here maybe able to give a realistic range.

OP henwardian 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

To give a bit more info:

Land is decrofted, so not subject to croft rules, it's developed as a glamping site with all the electrical and water and planning and so on required for it to run. I'm looking for a number to put in a 10 year lease contract.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...