UKC

Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoaseF 24 Jan 2022

I will be going to the Pyrenees this summer.

Can anybody suggest any EASY climbs in the Western part?

ben b 24 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF: Can you be more specific?
French or Spanish side?

Roadside or mountain?

Bolted or trad?

b

ian caton 24 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

A bit like saying can you recommend any easy climbs in Wales. 

ben b 25 Jan 2022
In reply to ian caton:

I hadn't realised it was this guy again: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/starting_out/we_are_thinking_of_going_to_...

Still, at least we got a definite (but different) mountain range this time, and "Western". Machine learning protocols are coming on well

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/destinations/rock_climbing_in_the_pyrenee...

Kev Reynold's book is good; bear in mind that it's not been a good century for Pyrenean glaciers and for "cross the say snow field" read "stagger across choss" unless otherwise informed.

b

Dave Todd 25 Jan 2022
In reply to ben b:

> I hadn't realised it was this guy again:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=263493

65 25 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I'm clearly missing something here, but:

The Kev Reynolds book is your friend. If you can rad French, have a search for selected guidebooks, there are loads available and if you can't them online you'll be able to get them in any big tabac or librairie in the region. 

I've done a lot of walking and cycling, and some fairly hard ice in the Pyrenees, but no easy climbing/mountaineering routes. Good luck.

Tom Valentine 25 Jan 2022
In reply to 65:

I think the Voie Normale on Pic du Midi d'Ossau is an easy mountaineering route. 

Added to which it finishes on possibly the most iconic summit in the entire Pyrenean range.

65 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I was thinking that, but I haven't done it.

rsc 25 Jan 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I really enjoyed Monte Perdido, if that counts as western. We traversed it from Gavarnie to Ordesa, and I’d recommend that if you can arrange the transport. But it’d still be good up-and-dowo from either side.

felt 28 Jan 2022
In reply to rsc:

It's western enough. I did it the other way, Torla, MP, Cirque d'Estaubé, Gavarnie, Breche, Torla (avoiding Cirque de Cotatuero, which we looked at from above but it felt way too scary with big packs and no gear), but you can easily do it all from Gavarnie, via the Breche, up MP, then down the north face and back to Gavarnie over the Estaubé.

I'd suggest peaks around Lescun, bit more sauvage, bit quieter.

Tom Valentine 28 Jan 2022
In reply to felt:

Lescun is a brilliant centre, only disadvantage being that the campsite is a right trek from the village.

OP BoaseF 14 Feb 2022
In reply to ben b:

Ben, I've very sure you read the word EASY.

Please try not to be too smart.

Thank you

ben b 14 Feb 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Good evening BoaseF. In general, when asking a question it is sensible to provide the relevant information. "Easy" helps a bit but what qualifies as easy for one person may not be the same for another.

It is easier to get assistance with a question like "Can anyone recommend long but easy bolted routes in the French Pyrenees, for a party happy on ground up to AD? We will have transport but are thinking about the Cauterets area, and want to avoid mixed or glacial sections".

Otherwise we get to play an usatisfactory game of "I want to go for a walk. Where will I go?".

People on here are generally very helpful, but for well documented reasons many are understandably pissed off about a lot of threads that start with very non-specific queries that soon descend to essentially abusing the good nature of the forums. My apologies if I have tarred you with the same brush.

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...