UKC

Help with setting up top belays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Petermorris 25 Jan 2022

Will be venturing outdoors to climb for the first time as soon as the weather improves. I live in Manchester and have climbed lots indoors but never outdoors. For the first time then I was thinking of going somewhere busy so that I can ask other climbers how to set up belays at the top of the crag. Are there usually people at Windgather for example most weekends? Are other climbers generally happy to help a newbie with this sort of thing if we get stuck? I think I know what I'm doing as have watched lots of tutorials online but wanted a back up plans just in case as we don't want to abseil back down off anything that is dodgy.

Cheers, Pete.

CantClimbTom 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Petermorris:

Don't go on the offchance, ask here nicely and get someone to go with you. A lift to a climbing area and back and promise of a few pints may twist someone's arm. Climbers are a friendly bunch, even the outdoor ones

Edit, maybe repost in the lifts and partners section?

Post edited at 18:01
 Andy Hardy 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Petermorris:

Climbers generally are more than happy to help. I did exactly this on completing my first lead and not having a clue how to set up a belay!

On 24/04/22 we'll be running another "turn up and tie on" somewhere in the peak if you want to come along  https://mynydd.org.uk/calendar/cat_ids~120/

Derek Furze 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Petermorris:

There are people at Windgather on almost any day that conditions allow including plenty of novices.  it isn't the easiest place to learn belay set up though - plenty of other destinations will be a good bit more straightforward.  Birchen Edge gives similar range of easy routes with simpler belays and Stanage has an endless supply.

You are not likely to need to abseil back down at most gritstone crags.  Windgather has easy descents within a few metres of every top out.

abr1966 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Petermorris:

If you're at windgather there's nobody about to help you could give me a shout....I'm literally just down the road and if I'm in I'd gladly pop up...as Derek says in his post some of the belays need a bit of thinking through.....although the other offer from Andy to join with Mynydd for a climb and some guidance is a great offer....I'm not a member but it's an excellent club and a great way to learn and get out with other climbers....

abr1966 25 Jan 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Thread.... he's banned already.....hadn't noticed other stuff from him but probably some anti Vax idiot...

Morty 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Petermorris:

Weak trolling, could do better.  Disappointing really. 

In reply to thread:

We've been had, again. Stand down. Don't waste your time. It's the antivax knobhead. Signup today, two climbing related threads then straight into it, as usual, and banned already.

Andy Hardy 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Feeling a bit foolish now.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

You can't win. If you call him out straight away you get a blast of shit for not giving new people the benefit of the doubt (even though it's a glaringly obvious and repetitive MO)

abr1966 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

With you!! 

Prof. Outdoors 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Don't feel foolish.

Feel proud that you offered genuine help to someone who could benefit.

It is good to know that constructive help and assistance is still offered. Good on you!

tehmarks 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

It's the people that take advantage of good nature that are the problem, not the good-natured people.

profitofdoom 25 Jan 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> You can't win. If you call him out straight away you get a blast of shit for not giving new people the benefit of the doubt (even though it's a glaringly obvious and repetitive MO)

That has now happened several times to me - [1] I call these people / threads out; [2] I receive a load of invective for it; then [3] the OP is banned

heleno 26 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Definitely shouldn't feel foolish for being friendly and helpful. 

Also, quite a few people have followed your link, so some nice publicity for your meets programme 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...