UKC

What's the benefit of brushed leather on a winter boot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 25 Jan 2022

Not my area of expertise but why are there hardly any full grain leather winter mountaineering boots above B1 (ie something like the scapra SL Active)? I'm guessing there is a reason for this but it seems counter intuitive, brushed leather seems like it is more likely to attract moisture to be absorbed and snow to stick to it. 

I've owned Nepal Extremes and Freney's and the later have had massively less issue (when well worn in) with absorbing moisture and are much easier to dry on multi day trips (for example). I also own Scarap SL and they seem fine on the snowy days I've had them out on despite being very well worn in. When well dubbined its like water off a ducks back!

I note going back a few decades full grain leather was more popular on winter mountaineering boots so there must be a reason?

I do hope its not a case of form over function!

Post edited at 22:51
 elsewhere 25 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

What's the benefit of brushed leather on a winter boot?

None?

I have some goretex lined nubuck boots, you can apply nikwax but it permanently changes them.

Anybody know if this is a good idea as I could do with them being more waterproof?

Post edited at 23:03
 Timmd 25 Jan 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

AFAIK, the goretex lining eventually breaks down, leaving me thinking that you don't have much to lose.

gethin_allen 25 Jan 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

I've done it in the past, they never leaked and the leather lasted well over a decade so it didn't do them any harm.

Ridge 25 Jan 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

First think I do with nubuck/brushed leather walking boots is wax them with Ledergris (other waxes are available). Waterproofs and protects the leather, they just buff up like a normal leather boot.

Post edited at 23:10
 Maggot 25 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

They look really nice when they're brand new!

I have Scarpas with the 'soft' side on the outside, but once they've been out and about and application's of HS12 for a few times they look pretty much like any old boot. Still completely waterproof though.

nikkormat 26 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I read something about this years ago. Something along the lines of that it's actually reversed leather, with the "good" side inwards and thus protected from damage, and the reverse on the outside to absorb abrasions. I may have misunderstood though. I have old style blue Scarpa Mantas, and have left them as is, and Hanwag Berglers, which I've waxed until shiny.

VictorM 26 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Most 4-season mountaineering boots are made from rough Velours leather as opposed to Nubuck brushed leather. Velours leather has bigger pores than Nubuck and especially full grain smooth leather, allowing it to breathe more efficiently. 

This is also why most manufacturers actually discourage treating Velours leather with a leather wax or otherwise smoothening finish, it tends to fill the pores limiting breathability. If the user actually will notice this depends on heat generated and the weather circumstances of course. 

DaveHK 26 Jan 2022
In reply to nikkormat:

> I read something about this years ago. Something along the lines of that it's actually reversed leather, with the "good" side inwards and thus protected from damage, and the reverse on the outside to absorb abrasions. 

I remember reading something similar.

GarethSL 26 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

From Scarpa themselves:

"CROSTA (Reversed Leather)- example - Manta/Mont Blanc

These are premier leathers used on full mountain boots where maximum strength, support and abrasion resistance is required. These leathers are used with the tanned finish reversed with the textured side out and the tanned surface inside. This helps to protect the tanned surface of the leather and the extra surface area of the brushed finish helps to boost water resistance. All Scarpa reversed leathers are HS12 treated. For reversed leather we recommend Nikwax Nubuck and Suede treatment, followed by a light brushing with a suede brush, this will retain the appearance of the reversed leather."

nniff 26 Jan 2022
In reply to nikkormat:

What nikkormat said - fair face inside, scuff resistant outside, slobbered in wax.  With modern bonded soles boots, don't leak where they used to - though the welts - and so IMHO goretex liners make a potentially nice boot into a sweaty horrible thing,  But we all (not me though) want waterproof liners, so that's what the manufacturers make.  I still have a nice pair of Meindl Borneos that are nice and comfy and liner-free.  Shame about the tongue that the dog chewed though - but being leather, rather than fabric and membrane it's still good, albeit rather experienced-looking

65 26 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I worked in the outdoor retail biz for a while many moons ago and recall a tech from Raichlé telling me about “reversed” leather, exactly as some have described above. 

I treated my Sportiva Nepals with wax pretty much from new. It spoiled the photogenic yellow look but kept the leather supple and they still keep my feet dry after about 18 years and two resoles.

BuzyG 26 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

No real advantage to brushed leather, it's just a look when new.  For sure wax them. I use nickwax.  As soon as you have waxed them a few times, they look and act just like normal leather any way. So really, other than they look different when new, I personally can't thing of any advantages. Just trendy at the minute I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

Post edited at 12:32
 PaulJepson 26 Jan 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

As others have said, it's reversed leather so the good side isn't immediately compromised when you kick your foot with a crampon on. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...